man vrs wild

yorkshirelad

Bear Grylls is an entainer & most of what he does is what I`d associate with military escape & evasion than survival. Granted he has an excellent c.v. but what he does is as likely to get a person injured as help them survive. Drinking the liuid from elephant dung sounds like the thing to make you lose more fluids by suffering from S & D than to rehydrate your body ! But like I said he`s an entertainer & his programme does exactly that.

Ray Mears on the other hand is very informative & skilled, teaches how to live from the land & not run away from it, how to be comfortable in an enviroment & survive.

I reckon if we placed Gryll`s & Mears out in the wilds with just decent clothing a knife & an axe Mears would survive the longest because he actually seems to like being out in the woods.

Bear Grylls is an entainer & most of what he does is what I`d associate with military escape & evasion than survival. Granted he has an excellent c.v. but what he does is as likely to get a person injured as help them survive. Drinking the liuid from elephant dung sounds like the thing to make you lose more fluids by suffering from S & D than to rehydrate your body ! But like I said he`s an entertainer & his programme does exactly that.

Ray Mears on the other hand is very informative & skilled, teaches how to live from the land & not run away from it, how to be comfortable in an enviroment & survive.

I reckon if we placed Gryll`s & Mears out in the wilds with just decent clothing a knife & an axe Mears would survive the longest because he actually seems to like being out in the woods.

all of what bear does is milltary survival!! its all safe as thats wht a modern elite soldiers are shown and tested on (sas, path finders) the things he shows are super he is ray mears and more,,,, i would rather be out in the wild with bear anyday :blush:

I think there is a key difference.

Ray's shows are more generally about how to survive in an environment and live off the land.

Bear's shows are about how to get the freak out of a situation.

Quite different sets of skills really though I do accept there is a degree of overlap, which is probably why people are comparing the two when there isn't much of a comparison.

I think there is a key difference.

Ray's shows are more generally about how to survive in an environment and live off the land.

Bear's shows are about how to get the freak out of a situation.

Quite different sets of skills really though I do accept there is a degree of overlap, which is probably why people are comparing the two when there isn't much of a comparison.

fair comment mate,,,, they are bothe top of the game really then :blush:

Ray mears for me.

The guy knows his stuff.

He.s an out doors man like bush tucker bloke :blush:

I would be very worried if i was in a survival situation with bear grylss. :hmm:

But then again if a load of loons with ak.s were after poppin a cap in me ***

then bear grylss would be my best mate. :D

anni

I'm a Ray Mears fan myself. He does things safely and always comes home in one piece (apart from tha broken ribs when he wrestled that big tribal dude!). I respect him because of his respect for the outdoors.

This Bear bloke is a ***. Every time I've seen him on TV he's jumpig off water falls or doing something dumb. He talks of survival situations then does that. Say he lands in the water which is actually three feet deep instead of thirteen. One pair of broken legs, maybe a messed up spine=one dead survivor! Maybe if you were being chased by a guy with an AK47 and thought you'd die anyway it would be a good act to follow, but the average guy involved in a plane crash somewhere remote stands a lot more chance taking it slowly and not risking his health. Even a minor injury in that situation could mean you die rather than walk out of it. Conserving calories and taking as few risks as possible, that is what saves most people :good:

cant beleive no one on a site like this has "here hered" my offer of lofty wiseman. this is THE ultimate sas tough guy. seriosly, if you havent heard of him, check him out, read some books...he would **** ray, eat bear and use their bones and skins to make a shelter !!!

dont get me wrong, bear is good outdoors, he has stamina and balls. however, he does things which are totally overboard risky, maybe fine in an escape/ivasion situation, but in a survival sitch, they are such a huge no no... theres unwritten rules about risk taking evaluations and how much claories can be gained from a food source against how many calories are burned obtaining it... when i watch his show, i just think, all the way through it, "theres no way youd do that" not because of fear or disgust, because of risk to survival.....after all, when in a situation say were your in a plane crash in the jungle, the objective is to get out safely and notbecome dehydrated, starve, get injured or become victim to the elements, sun or cold..... the objective is not, get out in the quickest time.... after all he is not being persued or in any danger of anything other than his own descisions and or mistakes......

ray is good, hard as nails mate ( especially for a tubby bitch)his knowledge would have you fed and watered long before you were ringing out elephant poo... a fire would be quickly prepared for cooking the salmon and getting a HUGE moral booster of enjoying both a nourishing and deliciuos meal....( moral goes a long long way in a suvival situation) he would not be eating it raw or alive like bear does for sensationalism..... no drinking dirty water then waking up (fake) spewing all nite.... a dose of the squits when dehydrated can finish you off easily..........

both are good and entertaining in different ways..... but bear just doesnt do it for me.... his idiotic antics have me in disbelief of his stupidity sometimes.... moral, saftey and GOOD risk assesmentr are all keys to survival......

besides, when all said and done,

........ i reckon i could take him.

lofty wiseman......he's yer man..... if your forces mate, check him out, your elders will certainly know who he is and will deffinaitly agrre, he makes bear look like a ***.

hey harv, your post reminded me..... what about the fed ex man and his mate wilson off tom hanks's castaway...... that wilson was deffinaitly the tough strong silent type.....

youre right that wilson spent all that time on that island without showing any emotion or fear, then falls off the raft and nearly drowns...unbelievable