Vixen from last night

tikkamark

I had a long write up previously written about last night but the web page expired for some reason and all i had wrote disappeared <_<

But here is a slightly shorter version :lol:

I seen 5 foxes in one spot last night 3 of them were cubs and very clever ones at that they just would not sit for the lamp but the vixen was not so clever..i followed her for a long way where she lay down in a clump of gorse thinking she was out of harms way but with a lot of concentration on my part and a hornady 55gr v-max to the head at 120yrds the fox was dropped.The second pic is exactly how the fox lay where i found her 5yrds inside the bush i was very happy with that shot :lol: .

There is still a good few in that spot so i will be back in there most likely some evening as i think them cubs will be fairly foolish now without the guidance of the mother its real sheep country so they have to be controlled :lol:

post-6430-1210530389.jpg

post-6430-1210530420.jpg

Edited by tikkamark

The cubs should squeek in easily enough now that the vixen has gone, go for it!

I think so bob i will definitly try it anyway there fairly awkward to get with the lamp so it might turn into a daytime operation <_<

That's as good a way as any, stake a hare down near the hole and sit and wait, don't pick up any bodies untill you have shot them all. If you have a tree you can get up with your gun, even better, for some reason they don't look up, mind you, finding a comortable tree ain't easy!

Nicely done Mark <_<

We got a vixen last night as well, John nailed her with his SBS at 30 yards, I called her in with the callmaster. Couldn't get the rifle onto her due to all the rocks. Heard the bang, never saw a thing :lol: Think would a shotgun work better for you there if the cover is bad?

Nice shot Mark <_<

You might find that the reason the cubs weren't still, is because they were playing.

A good squeak will give you a few seconds.

Try to pick off the dog if you haven't already done so, or he'll be feeding them.

weldone mate can i just ask what the hold all is carrying

The hold all is carring a 20amp hour battery pack you can just about make out the lamp wire going into it with the bag and battery you can go out for about 3 hours independently :lol:

John

That was good going with the shotgun ye lads are going to have to sell the .223 :lol:

The area would be good for the shottie but in some places it really opens up to 300yrds in some spots and more often than not the foxes tend to be out on the open flat areas so the rifle is fairly essential especially now that they don't seem to be that impressed by the rabbit distress call <_<

Lazza

The dog is definitly still alive it ran off on me i spotted him near the vixen out sitting in the open i was getting down for the shot and he didnt like what was happening and ran off :lol: i will try and get him but as i said i think it would be best to try in the evening time.I tried the squeak on the cubs but they were unusually clever for such young foxes the ones i got last summer fell for that every time :o

Thanks lads :lol:

The hold all is carring a 20amp hour battery pack you can just about make out the lamp wire going into it with the bag and battery you can go out for about 3 hours independently :lol:

John

That was good going with the shotgun ye lads are going to have to sell the .223 :lol:

The area would be good for the shottie but in some places it really opens up to 300yrds in some spots and more often than not the foxes tend to be out on the open flat areas so the rifle is fairly essential especially now that they don't seem to be that impressed by the rabbit distress call <_<

Tell ya this much, it's 10 times more fun with the shottie :lol: But the rifle will always be more effective on suitable ground. Last two we've shot have been suicidal for rabbit distress, both vixens. What bulb are you using in the Striker Mark? Tell you the craic I'm at now, I've two lamps hooked up to the one battery. One's a hand held 170 with a 50W bulb and the others the scope mounted 170 with a 75W bulb that I'm leaving attached to the rifle. Plenty of time for walking about and I've the extra light for taking the shot. It's working OK so far, couple of things need ironing out.

The hold all is carring a 20amp hour battery pack you can just about make out the lamp wire going into it with the bag and battery you can go out for about 3 hours independently :yes:

John

The area would be good for the shottie but in some places it really opens up to 300yrds in some spots and more often than not the foxes tend to be out on the open flat areas so the rifle is fairly essential especially now that they don't seem to be that impressed by the rabbit distress call :rolleyes:

Tell ya this much, it's 10 times more fun with the shottie :lol: But the rifle will always be more effective on suitable ground. Last two we've shot have been suicidal for rabbit distress, both vixens. What bulb are you using in the Striker Mark? Tell you the craic I'm at now, I've two lamps hooked up to the one battery. One's a hand held 170 with a 50W bulb and the others the scope mounted 170 with a 75W bulb that I'm leaving attached to the rifle. Plenty of time for walking about and I've the extra light for taking the shot. It's working OK so far, couple of things need ironing out.

Thats a good idea john it save's you having to click the light into the scope bracket which as you know yourself makes a loud enough noise,how much did you give for the handheld 170 if you dont mind me asking john?

I still have the standard bulb in the light i think its a 75w bulb.

Your more than welcome to head over here some night john if you want from now till September there does be a serious burst in fox numbers around here and once the farmers start cutting silage the task is made slightly easier :lol: you'd also get to see what a relatively flat field without boulders looks like :good:

Thats a good idea john it save's you having to click the light into the scope bracket which as you know yourself makes a loud enough noise,how much did you give for the handheld 170 if you dont mind me asking john?

I still have the standard bulb in the light i think its a 75w bulb.

Your more than welcome to head over here some night john if you want from now till September there does be a serious burst in fox numbers around here and once the farmers start cutting silage the task is made slightly easier :lol: you'd also get to see what a relatively flat field without boulders looks like :lol:

Those fields sound right dangerous Mark, no friggin landmarks to find your way out like :yes: Title of my next foxing adventure "Lost in Meath..." I'll take you up on that offer :rolleyes: I think I got the handheld lamp on Target Sports website so I paid their price for it, they come up second hand from time to time, I just didn't have the patience to wait for one.

Great write up, id love to get into rifle shooting for foxes / long range pest control.

Tried using a shotgun for the job on a mates farm however never seem to be able to get the foxes close enough for a deadly shot, how can i go about getting into it with say a .223? i have never had any experiance with powerful rifles, only rim fires and the odd shot on the .17 HMR.

Is the only way to tag along with someone who is already operating in the area? as if thats the case im screwed :hmm:

Those fields sound right dangerous Mark, no friggin landmarks to find your way out like :lol: Title of my next foxing adventure "Lost in Meath..." I'll take you up on that offer :good: I think I got the handheld lamp on Target Sports website so I paid their price for it, they come up second hand from time to time, I just didn't have the patience to wait for one.

Thats grand john you know your more than welcome down here you can stay in mine or you could stay in the place where jeff and paul stayed its a nice spot ;)

I will put up a topic hopefully Saturday on the hen killing foxes im going after the rest of them tomorrow night and i will stay out all night if i have to they did some serious damage and will pay the price,if i dont get them with the tikka myself and shane will try the earth with the terriers there was feathers scattered all around the hole and on the way into it to so theres no mistaken that its them ;)

Ice

I started out tagging along with a mate of mine for a good year or so i never even got to use the lamp i just tagged along with the lads then the odd time they let me do the lamp it was about 3 or 4 years before i ever even got to fire a shot it was a good way to start out.I then got a hmr and used it for two years very successfully you have to be very precise with the placement.I then got a 223 to extend the range and increase the hitting power i think things are a bit easier in the republic of ireland though but i can't see why you would not be able to get a 223 if your competent with a hmr.But you should try and get out with a lad and do the lamp for him for a while to get used to identifying quarry and judging distances ect :)

Frank

Cheers buddy i try my best :wub::lol:

Good work Mark!

you'd also get to see what a relatively flat field without boulders looks like :wub:

Spot on Mark! Did a week down the uncles last week, it was like heaven! fields are all 5+ arces !! Don't have to get out every two minutes to open gates.

The cub bashing startes on the June Bank holiday weekend! I haven't been shooting foxes locally for a few months now!