Binoculars

GunDealsUK

Ive just been trawling Ebay, and there's everything from a fiver to £100's

I want a decent pair for general use, rough shooting, wildfowling and just to keep in the car, something thats not going to be too big, and probably rubberised (as I have been known to drop the odd thing or 3)

What are Bushnell Binos like?

My budget would probably be £100 - £150 can you get something decent for that??

and.... Is it risky buying 2nd hand (been knocked about etc.)

Rgds

Graham

"To simplify a very complicated story, Zeiss was split up after W.W.II into the American Zone Zeiss and Russian Zone Zeiss. Of course they had to battle in court to decide which side could use the immortal name of Zeiss. BEFORE the war Zeiss lenses were always engraved "Zeiss Jena." After the war, Jena was in Russian hands. The American Zone Zeiss in Stuttgart used the terms of "Carl Zeiss," "Carl Zeiss Opton," and eventually just "Zeiss." The East German Zeiss continued to use the term "Carl Zeiss Jena" for some time. For a much better told story with much more detail, read the Zeiss Compendium by Charlie Barringer and Marc Small."

http://www.cameraquest.com/oly180.htm

Have never heard of Bushnells Trophy, but there again I am not a bins anorak.

All I can say is that I bought a new pair of Grossfeld 8x40 about three years ago, thought they were OK, then I used a mates Zeiss 8x30's and big difference in image quality, and smoothness of moving parts and overall quality. That's what prompted me to buy the same. Mine are Jena.

There are plenty on Ebay, just look for a pair that seem unmarked and little used.

8x30 or 8x40 is perfect for field work, avoid any 10x.. as it is impossible to hold the image still without supporting them on something

I can offer you my Grossfeld for £49 if you want :/

Ive been offered a pair of Bushnells "Trophy" 8 x 30 Nitrogen Filled Rubber Body Binoculars for about £50..

Are these any good?

Rgds

GRaham

NO...

If you want a decent set of Bins then you have to pay decent money.

The Cheaper the bins the poorer quality the lenses and performance

You would do well to consider the Simmonds Aetec 8 x 42 wide angle at about 90 quid which are the best binoculars in this sort of price range. Try www.uttings.com who have them on at a sensible price. They have a good field of view and 8 x mag is the optimum unless you have perfect poise or a tripod!

I have a pair and for the cash they are brilliant. I do an awfull lot of birdwatching and have the fortune to also own a pair of Swarowski and Audubons costing £750 each. the Aetec optics are not as good as these but very close.

I am sorry but I have neve round bushnell optics to be much good in Bins or Scopes. and 30mm objective lenses are too small for general use in the field.

FM.

Swarowski - 'nuf said :/ Need an overdraft to buy them though!!!!

PP

Right on. I have a pair of 8x30's. Perfect for daytime pigeon spotting and compact too. Rubberised finish stops them getting damaged too.

You gets what you pays for in the optics game. Skimp on the money and you will skimp on image quality. Swarovski, Leica and Zeiss are the names to go for.

MIKE.

Bidding on a Seben 10x42 pair.

Do you think these unsuitable for general field work. Mostly spotting pigeons flightline & rabbits.

Or should I stop bidding.

thanks

RTR

Whats the reserve set at ?

Nothing wrong with Seben optics. The 10 x 42 normally around the £200 quid mark.

If you have to go to that sort of money you can buy better.

FM.

Like buying anything.

Think what you want them for.

How often are you going to use them ?

What distances will you be using them at ?

Do you want to read a newspaper 3 miles away ?

I doubt it, more likely identify birds about 1 mile away.

Most small compact binoculars will do that.

I have a rubberised pair of compact binoculars made by Hilkinson 8x21 8.2" wide angle, which I bought about 15 years ago and have never regretted it.

Don't be conned into spending a fortune.......unless you want to read a newspaper 3 miles away. :/

I have to disagree slightly with Cranfield. Save up your money and buy a decent pair. You will never regret it and you will never want to look through a cheap pair ever again. They should last you a lifetime.The best money I ever spent was on a pair of Swarovski. By all means buy secondhand from a reputable source.

Trust me

P

I'm relaxed about people disagreeing with me, as we all have our own opinions. :/

When I am buying something that I will use a lot, like a gun, fishing rod, fishing reel etc., I try to ensure that I buy the best I can afford, even in the days when I had to save up, to do this.

If I looked through binoculars for a living, or lots of times every day, I would buy the best.

But for using once or twice a week to spot birds etc., within a mile or two range, mine are perfectly suitable.

I think they cost about £40 15 years ago.

I have an inbred distaste for wasting money. :)

Guest Mr Pieman

Cranfield,

I don't use my binoculars to read a newspaper at 3 miles! What good quality does give you is a better clarity, depth and field of vision - not magnification. My Swarovskis allow me to identify objects in half light (especially important if stalking) and other poor light conditions. They can be the difference between making the shot or leaving it as 'I can't be sure' of the target. If I leave it its because I choose not to shoot - not that I can't identify my quarry.

PP

When I purchased a Tasco World Class Rifle Scope from the States a couple of years ago, the shop gave me as a free gift, a small pair of rubberised Tasco binoculars.

These little things, which fit into my pocket, are ideal for the basic field spotting of feeding or moving pigeon.

However, my shooting partner, John, bought his super-duper Swarovzki bins with him last time out. They were something else. Crystal clear imaging!

If you can afford them buy them!!!!!

My philosophy with rifle scopes now is 'Always buy the best you can afford. Same applies to binoculars.

Regards,

Rob.

:/

Thanks Guys, well you've given me food for thought, although I would tend to agree with Cranfield, these Bins are primarily for use when out pigeon shooting (when my NPPC membership arrives), and for wildfowling.

They wont get everyday use, and to be honest I dont think I can justify spending ££££'s I'll try the bushnells (coz I'm getting em to clear a debt) and if they're cr*p I'll have a look at Uttings at those simmons ones

Thanks for all the advice, I seemed to have kicked off a healthy debate tho' :/

Rgds

Graham

Gun Deal .... Graham,

I would never buy a pair of binoculars, unless I had tried them out ,first.

Not everybodys eyes are the same . When I was after a pair of bins, a couple of years ago, I tried five pairs out, and only one, of exactly the same make and mag, suited me.

This is just my two pennorth, but I'd make sure I got a sale or guaranteed return with them.

10 x mag is ok But you will have a reduced field of view at distance and even if you have the steadiest hands there will be a pronounced shake especially when using them for detail work close up. If you want them for general field work at distance for "spotting" they will be ok.

If you can push to another 15.00 quid get the simmonds Aetec from Uttings you wont be dissapointed.

I notice also a pair of Opticron Bins on ebay with about 4 hours to go 10 x mag currently about 70 quid. If you can get these under a tonn they would be an extremely good buy... I am very tempted myself but I already have 6 pairs of bins... :/

FM.

Ps. Beware of Chinese or Malaysian fake imports which flood the market.

Coney.

All I can say is that I have Swarowski as do several of my Birding Friends ( No we are not twitchers ) they are really the best at that price range.

That said, handle them both if you can before you make your mind up the Leica optical system is also well respected so you have a difficult choice on your hands. there probably wont be that much between them as they are similar models. If it were me I would go for the Swarovski.

I have 6 pairs of bins because like shooters you accumulate different models for different use over the years.

I use the Swars and the Audubons for birdwatching mainly. A pair of 8 x 35 Zeiss (which I have had since my teens) when I go horse racing because they are compact and have brilliant optical quality. A pair of Chinon 8 - 20 x 42 for fishing and carp spotting from trees in the summer, and a pair of rubber armoured Simmonds Aetec 8 x 42 ( the latest aquisition) for shooting and general use.

If you think I am sad you ought to talk to my friend gerry who collects them and has over 100 pairs!!! :/

Remy I am sure you will be happy with the bins.

Mike.

Edit... For got to mention a pair of 8 x 25 Olympus compact prisms which stay in the car. :)

Guys I gotta post...

Surely this is getting out of hand.

For what its worth I use a small pair of nondescript bins that fit in my pocket and are rubbersied. Cost me about 30 quid 5 years ago.

I use these for spotting flightlines and bunnies. Now I can fully understand the quality difference between these and the high end stuff and If I was a birdwatcher then fair enough, I would probably invest, but all I need is to see flying pigeons, I dont need to see every feather and detail. Ditto with bunnies. I just dont think that its worth paying a fortune for something that just does a simple job, gets bashed about and will probably break or get lost at some point - unless money is no object of course.

Mack