Don't understimate cockers!

Millomite

My 8 month old bitch is retrieving a 1lb dummy from my decking in the garden, 4 or 5 retrieves a day. Even on the fifth she usually lays it down and follows another scent.

I will be nervous to try her on some fur, I'm sure she will just sit and tear it to pieces.

Plenty time yet though

Jef

Edited by jef

My 8 month old bitch is retrieving a 1lb dummy from my decking in the garden, 4 or 5 retrieves a day. Even on the fifth she usually lays it down and follows another scent.

I will be nervous to try her on some fur, I'm sure she will just sit and tear it to pieces.

Plenty time yet though

Jef

Cut her retrieves down mate, she's getting bored of them

I don't mean to hijack your thread but it's still about a cocker.

Had her out last night, off the lead and she was great. She came back to heel when I asked her and she was hunting around, up to 20 yards out. Then her hunting seemed to pick up pace all of a sudden and when asked to return she ignored me. 30 seconds later a cock gets up and flies off, with the dog in hot persuit.

Had her out again tonight, same as usual, hunting around 20 yards out and returning to sit when asked. I kept to a sewn field rather then a wood this time as there seems to be less scent. However, again she started hunting frantically and within a short time a cock got up out of the ditch followed by a golden streak of cocker spaniel.

My question is this, at what point throughout the training does she learn not to chase after the flushed game? Or is it a case that she learns to return to heel EVERYTIME she is asked and when she does flush a bird at a shoot, I have to call her in??

Here is the little mare in question (phone camera as my card is in the trail cam)

post-6662-1212522218.jpg

Keep her away from game. If you see her step up the pace call her in, or if she ignores that get out after her.

Rather than call her to heel when she flushes, I teach mine to sit, or drop to shot as it's known. As soon as the birds starts flying I pip my whistle and the dog sits. The sit whistle has to be 100% before I go out on game though

This any help?

Thanks mate, I'll put that on the list. Had her at the gun club tonight while I was doing some work and when I went to let her out the car she had been sick a couple of times whilst in there. Mostly her food and some traces of grass. She seems to be better now but had me worried for a bit, first time it's happened. Any ideas?:yes: Is it the grass??

Jef

Great pics Scott, she's coming on really well I bet :rolleyes:

Here's a couple of my little Cocker bitch Daisy doing some water work today... She would of gone on all day long - If only I'd let her :angry::hmm:

post-2887-1212862577.jpg

post-2887-1212862594.jpg

post-2887-1212862975.jpg

Edited by garyb