decoying crows

Try in the spring near a nest.

Must admit I've not had Crows mobbing either an Eagle or Little Owl deek but I've had them come closer for a look.

I've witnessed Crows & Magpies mobbing Buzzards when on the ground or flying but also seen them in a sitty tree totaly ignoreing them, several times.

I've thought of putting a deek on a barn roof so it could be seen from the air at a greater distance.

So far my best methods seem to be baiting or just being where they normally gather.

Not tried the owl decoy, but have had good success with crow decoys, about 6 on wobblers, and a crow call. They will not always come into the pattern but generally will come to have a look. You need to be well hidden and also in a place where they have been feeding, or want to feed.

I've never had any sucess with an owl decoy at all, my take on it is that they have to be within gunshot to see it anyway.

I have always done well using one decoy and a dead rabbit, white side upwards, with it's puds hanging out, good visibility and attraction.

A friend uses cut bread, he gets 2 or 3 loaves, breaks it up fairly small so that it cannot be carried off, with one or two big bits for visibility, firstly seagulls arrive, then crows come to see what's attracting them. I've never tried it, but he swears by it.

Just put a live ferret in something like a squirrel trap and place on the field :P

Better still catch a feral cat in a live catch trap and put that in the field, the black and deckers will flock in and afterwards you can give the cat a barrel :hmm:

CB

Edited by Country Boy

i was wondering if anyone here has had success decoying crows, pigeons, foxes, rabbits etc using decoys ? the only thing i have had go for it was 2 buzzards so i must be doing something wrong! whats the best method? i usually put the decoys on a field but no luck as of yet! :hmm:

Don't expect things to always work in your favour whatever you're after. Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue! Learn to live with it and keep trying different ideas!

the best days crow shooting camr after i seen maybe30 crows mabing a fox

helow i thort so i got a dead fox (snared) put 3 hazel sticks in it 2 up its front legs in to its chest and 1 where the sun dont shine and in to its head like a pigeon the sticks must be sharp too and sit it ina field with a couple of crows on fence posts around it and let rip the second best day was last weekend ina silage pit crows and jackdaws every where im off agen this weekend :good: