Anyone tried...

Dave-G

I'm usually fairly good at fiddly things but this got me beat.

After carefully washing and rewashing the glass I Tried my level best to get the darned film on the outside of the glass to trim it and prepare to put it on the iside, as per the destructions. Well I just could not do the thing without any creases, and it was just about one of the flattest windows there are - so it's now in the bin.

Anyone managed it themselves?

try this, and it'll all work out fine.

get some of your best Fairy Liquid, give the windows a good smear with it, and then lay the film on. as you start to "bone" the bubbles and creases out, the fairy comes out with it. peel the rubber back, trim, and put the rubber back in place :lol:

I had it done professionally on the first car i owned, then on the second i thought id try it myself after watching the pro.

You need to wash the glass with soapy water, thourghly dry, then spray a light mist of fresh water, just to wet the surface lightly, position your film, cut to size / shape, repeat process on the final side.

To get the creases out, use a heat gun from around 1 foot away, this then shrinks the film to the curviture of the glass.

Top tip is to remove all the rear windows before doing it.

Hope this helps slightly

I broke the rear window in my Surf, it was almost one way glass it was so tinted.

The replacement window was hardly tinted, so I spent the money and bought the correct film etc.,.............what a mistake.

It was one of the hardest things I have tried to do.

You need ten hands all at the same time, to avoid creasing and slips. :lol:

The whole lot ended up in the bin and I can live with what I have. :lol:

i tried it once... did all the windows great, bar one which i just couldnt get right..... the ******* lot had to come off.

next , i got it done professionally, great job but me being the type to pay little reguard to the law, told them to do the full dark tint on the front door windows too...... the car looked wicked... got away with it for over three years before the missus got pulled about a month ago. copper told her it was a £60 on the spot fine and 3 points OR she could peel the front window film off in front of him...... she did a bit of it and came home gunning for me !!!

i thought the consequences of being caught wernt to bad, and was right.... however if i knew removing the glue from the window was so hard ( near impposible) id have thought twice. just google "removing window tint glue" and you'l see how many people have been caught out with it and what lengths you have to goto to get it off !!!

luckily though, one of my new neighbours is a **** hot pro tinter who teaches bodyshops how to do it..... he knocked the other day to ask if i could fit a new boiler on his canal boat, we sorted a deal where in exchange for the labour he will completely retint the car, including removing the old stuff !!! not sure who's the winner in the deal me or him, but i know id rather replace all the windows than have to remove all the glue again !!!

as for the law, i dont think it's so much a saftey issue of you cant see out at night, cos you can, its more that they like to see whos driving and whats going on in your car.....

Edited by myzeneye

Tried to do a sun roof some years ago, could not get it to work, the spreader thing and the water sprayer ended up in the field next door to me, the film in the bin and me in the pub, took several pints to calm me down. Never again will I try, damn stuff is the work of the devil, designed by a woman. :yes:

on the car which i had done professionally, i had gold - black 2 tonne tints all around the car excluding the front windshield, i had to open them half way at night whenever i came to a round a bout, so i dont think they should be allowed on the drivers or passengers near side windows, unless they are within the legal limit.

The limit is there for a reason and i can see why. :yes: