243 rifle

radio1ham

hello everyone just a quick question

im thinking on getting a 243 rifle but its the price of the ammo puts me off (would be ideal for foxes at a longer range than my 22 or shot gun )

just wondering if any one reloads their own

or was even looking at a .270 rifle but that may be to big for fox control (maybe over kill)

anyone got any opinions

thanks all

If you reload its cheaper and most pleasing results, the out lay is bit expensive but if you plan to shoot more than 500 rounds plus it works out alot cheaper and if you decide to get any other centrefire you have the gear to do it (not including dies) i reload .222 .223 and .243 and would not be able to afford factory loads with the amount of shooting i do.

If it`s for fox only then .223, loadsa cheap ammo like american eagle, flat fast and accurate, low report and recoil.

I chose .222 as I got a great deal on the rifle in England and there are loads of them in Scotland so ammo isn`t an issue here either.

Do a search and see what others think of the .223 :good:

If it`s for fox only then .223, loadsa cheap ammo like american eagle, flat fast and accurate, low report and recoil.

I chose .222 as I got a great deal on the rifle in England and there are loads of them in Scotland so ammo isn`t an issue here either.

Do a search and see what others think of the .223 :good:

Yep, as henry says if it's just for fox, 223 is adequate, if it's for fox and deer, 243 is the boy for the job. Also as has been said, rolling your own is the way to go.

hi bob and henry

well been looking at prices of the guns and the 243 seems to be the cheapest calibre going at the moment also the .270 is cheap aswell but not sure if i would be alowed the .270 as its a big cal rifle maybe to big for what i need the 243 may be best for me as there is roe deer aswell where i shoot and also have land owners permission to shoot them if i want but mainly i was wanting for fox

would the .270 be over kill for fox i wonder and wether northumbria police would let me have a slot for the .270

its all to do with the price of the gun itself as it wont be used everytime i go out and dont want to spend a fortune on the gun as it will only be used maybe a couple a times a month

thanks again bob and henry

maybe il fone the firearms dept and see what they say

Forget the .270 if you want a foxing rifle. It took me ages to get fox as a seperate condition against my .270. What you may save in

money on the actual rifle, you'll lose on the ammo costs.

Also, I found that .270 ballistic tipped ammo is ver scarce, and the soft point .270 ammo won't expand very well on foxes, drilling them rather than exploding like

a ballistic tip will do, with some foxes running up to 50 yards before falling over, even with a perfect heart shot.

If you intend to shoot fox and Roe then go for the .243, in my opinion the most versatile rifle caliber out there.

For a flat shooting mainly fox but possibly the odd deer gun, you can't go wrong with the .243. It's a little small for big deer, but then anything else will be a little big for fox. To get a flat shooter in a bigger calibre than .243 will result in a real boomer that kicks like hell and costs a lot to reload, which is pointless for a gun that will be used mainly for fox.

well chaps foned my local firearms dept

and the land i shoot on only one of them has only been approved for a .22 so they will need to inspect the both lands i shoot on , one of the lands in considerly smaller than the other but thats where most of the foxes are day and night so im just waiting for the paperwork to come out to fill in and have to get letters off the land owners

another thing shal i just wait till my fac runs out in december and get the variation then

or get it now

i explained to firearms dept i only want a rifle for fox but they still say i need good reason for wanting the rifle so i guess il just put on the form fox control as im not to bothered a bout the deer yet but i guess i should put that on aswell as looks like il be going for the .243 as i think it will be a good allrounder and its in my price bracket aswell

so looks like il be going up to the farms soon to get the new letters of permission

if i get the variation now i guess it will be an early xmas present getting the .243 rifle sssshhhhh dont tell the wife :yes::P

hopefully all will be ok

Edited by radio1ham

Well tbh a 243 is completley unnesisary(spelling) some eole say its the larges calliber you can go for fox but it is possible to get cleared for 6.5x55 on fox, out to 100-150yds a 22hornet would be just fine a 223 is the next best choice in my opinion, also american eagle loaded by federal is very cheap and i believe they do a 50g hollow point used by many people on here, also 243 ammo is maybee a bit pricey depending on wat you buy but you dont go round shooting everything.

Steve

hi steve

very true , but also have permission to shoot roe deer aswell so i went for the min cal which is the 243

like you say i wont be shooting everything with it

only fox and roe deer price of 243 bullets is 16quid for 20 so they will not be getting wasted either

well got back in today and a brown envelope at bottom of the door

well you guessed it i got my variation for the .243

has only took a week aswell (excelent response from northumbria )

so now looking for a .243 not need be nothing fantastic

price bracket 200 must be in north east so i can pick up the rifle

did have my eyes on a 243 but checked today and had been sold

well went out yesterday and now im a proud owner of a remington model seven 243

i phoned steve smiths and had a bit chat with jack and he said he has got one in so in the car i gets and got to the shop chucking down with rain and people were still shooting the clays from what i seen of them they looked a canny bunch of people there yesterday also seen youngsters shooting airrifles

so anyway bought the remington and couldnt get out with it yesterday with the rain

but soon as ground has dryed out a bit il be trying it out and zeroing my scope in