Roosting Crows

red_stag88

As I have week at home next week, I was planning my sporting calendar.

One of the fields contains three valleys, at the end of each lies a seperate wood. The crows and pigeons in the area have four choices of roost, these three woods, and Cannock Chase. I was planning on going to one of these smaller woods in aim of roost shooting some birdys. Would it be worth it taking my crow call? And if so, what call should I use?

Cheers,

Red.

There are still a lot of leaves on the trees for proper roost shooting and I believe the reason its so successful in Winter (after Christmas) is also due to the shorter days and rougher weather, but if you intend to just ambush the birds as they head for the woods, you may get some action.

I don't call crows , so I would not know much about which call, if any, to use.

If you know where the rooks/crows are roosting, being creatures of habit, I assume they would turn up, calls or not. ;)

Loft a couple of crow or rook decoys if you have them. can work very well.

Problem with rooks is if the weather is mild they will feed in the stubble fields and on the sprouting grain well into the evening and only make there way to roost as its gettig dark, not ideal conditions for shooting.

If you can be motivated enough get out before first light under the roost trees just as dawn breaks if you have a silenced air rifle, even better.

I have also lamped rooks with a .177 at night in the roosting woods but dont go alone........... It gets really spoooooooooooooooooooky ;)

FM.

:yp: Rather than roost shoot why don`t you try these.1-place a dead bunny on it`s back with guts out about a gun shot away from your hide?has worked for me many times.2-get your hands on an owl decoy and put a dead crow at it`s feet as though the owl has killed it.In the breeding season it works very well as the black boogers swoop down screaming on it,the best time to shoot is as they swoop back up they stop for a split second,not too sporting but I don`t think you can shoot too many of the F£%$&* things :yp: enjoy!

I have both Crow and Owl decoys.

Last time, I got up at 4am, set up my hide, with crow and owl. I sat and waited for 5hours, and shot two carts. One ended up as a pigeon. ****** :yp:

Didn't see any crows!

The field may have sheep in it now as well. The sheep poo brings on crows too, as they eat the wormies. I am currently negotioating with someone about buy some more crow deeks, but they dont seem willing to sell any.

If anyone has any on offer, I will lighten your decoy bag for you. :yp:

Make some yourself Red.

Cut out a life size cardboard template and draw round it on a sheet of 12mm plywood cut it out with a coping saw or pop to the local joiners shop and have them cut a couple with their band saw. Paint em with matt plasticote spray paint and touch in some detail with modelling paints. drill a 5mm diameter hole in in the centre of the plys about 5 ins deep and mount them on a 12 ins piece of piano wire either stood up or pecking. Works a treat !

If you want 2 or three blanks FOC PM me with your name and address and I will get on the band saw in our workshop this week end.

FM.

It's easy to spot a rook roost, simply go out as the light drops and you'll see them circling, you'll hear them too. Find trees with lots of white **** underthem from the rooks. Stay out one night, they will only drop in as it gets almost dark, very snap shot. You'll likely shoot a mixed bag of rooks and jackdaws. No need for camo but wear dark clothes and find a place with a good view of incoming crows. Some may come in earlier than others in which case it may be an idea to have a rough natural hide to crouch behind but when you get in the thick of it as light drops you're best standing. 30 is the best me and a mate got in half an hour as light dropped.