Clumber Spaniels

Looking to get my first gun dog. Have had staffs and boxers as pets, but looking for something to train to flush and retrieve. Missus not overly keen on springers, so i was thinking of a clumber spaniel. Anyone had good/bad experiences with them? I understand that there are potentially hip, back and eye problems, but wondered how commonly these problems occurred.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Matt

Dear mr Fatcatsplat,

I have just spent the last hour replying to your post.

To only go and wipe the whole lot off :good::good::good:

Once i have finish hitting my head against the living room wall .And blameing.sweepy for it.(even though his not here)

I will be chilled .

And will start once again.

WATCH THIS SPACE.

xxxxsuzy

Why should he rule out a Clumber? They are a fabulous working dog when chosen from reliable lines and breeding, with excellant bird find ability and great drive for putting them in the air. They are as bidable as any well bred lab and then some. They are also far less hyper than most Labs and Springers, making them an excellant choice for the upland shooter.

NTTF

why get a black lab?everyone and their brothers got one ive just got a fox red one.but was interested in either a clumber or a sussex spaniel.its nice to go wiyh something different and not be boring and go with the safe option.hope you get a nice clumber :good:

I would say that they are more mature than the average Springer, and for the most part easier for the "mature" gunner to follow in the field. As for Cockers, the ones that I have had the pleasure to know and follow have all ran on jet fuel :good: wonderful little dogs but not known as pocket rockets for nothing.

NTTF

Clumbers came recommended from a family friend, basically for their temperament, brains and ability to work (as well as passing the Aaaahhhh factor for the missus). With a bit of luck, i've managed to attach a picture!!

Am working tonight Mrs S, but will give you a call tomorrow evening if i may.

Thanks,

Matt

post-10668-1213045187.jpg

post-10668-1213045215.jpg

I think when alot of people think of the clumber.

they think of a overweight show dog.

who can hardly move .And when it do its is a very slow dog.

Now the working strain is nothing like this what so ever .far from it . I would even go as far and say the clumber could match any lab in the field in abilityand stamina.

Sammy before his first haircut.

even on walks he is always working the hedgerows . And if he picks up the scent of a bird he will not move from that spot till he gets that bird up.

post-5453-1213044414.jpg

And he may be a bit slower then the springer. But he has as stamina and willpower to match any other gundog.

post-5453-1213044861.jpg

xxxxsuzy

Yes, those would be the touchstones for working Clumbers, unless you're asking as someone did earlier about the brown ones (Sussex)

zG508.jpg

zG308.jpg

though I'm surprised at NTTF's benediction for their being as "biddable as a Lab."

Hah, the old "Labs are born half-trained, spaniels die half-trained" saw can be emended for Clumbers as "most go through their entire lives untrained." Though thanks to the Working Clumber Assn., and James Darley and the Zurich clan, that's taken a different twist of late. Wouldn't think a Clumber, or Sussex or Welshie a good candidate for someone training his or her first gundog, though--just an (informed) opinion. :no:

MG

The Zurick's (sedgehurst clumbers) live in the next village over from me and to see their Clumbers work is something to behold. Fantastic dogs. If you are thinking of getting one I would recommend you speak to them.