Yet another veg oil thread

Zapp

Guys

I've seen a lot of threads on here about running old diesels on part veg oil and part diesel. I have been running my fourtrak in this way since august last year, but have watched with horror the price of veg oil rise to roughly that of diesel per litre. The best deal I could find up until today was lidl, who were charging £1.15 per litre. I've just been to waitrose of all places and seen it for 95p per litre ;)

Needless to say, the fourtrak is now fully fuelled! Just thought I would pass that on in case any of you are doing the same and wanted to save a couple of bob.

ZB

Around 50/50, but I have gone higher (on the oil) than this before - the fourtrak has injectors similar to those of a Russian tank! I ease back in winter though because the cold causes the oil to thicken and can cause starting problems.

In general I go anywhere between 30/70 (diesel/oil) to 50/50 in summer, and 60/40 to 70/30 in winter.

The usual caveats in so far as regularly changing fuel filters apply of course.

ZB

Guys

I've seen a lot of threads on here about running old diesels on part veg oil and part diesel. I have been running my fourtrak in this way since august last year, but have watched with horror the price of veg oil rise to roughly that of diesel per litre. The best deal I could find up until today was lidl, who were charging £1.15 per litre. I've just been to waitrose of all places and seen it for 95p per litre ;)

Needless to say, the fourtrak is now fully fuelled! Just thought I would pass that on in case any of you are doing the same and wanted to save a couple of bob.

ZB

thanks for the info, I shall raid the local Waitrose in the morning :lol:

:hmm: D2D

No worries. What car are you going to be running it on? I hear that some of the more modern diesels can get knackered by using veg oil - no probs for those of us with proper old workhorses (mine is a '94 plate).

ZB

94 300tdi defender done 164k and still going strong (touch wood),

I run it on 25% veg oil as rec by LB awhile back, smells coming from it make me feel peckish, dont know what Charlie makes of it :hmm:

;) D2D

94 300tdi defender done 164k and still going strong (touch wood),

I run it on 25% veg oil as rec by LB awhile back, smells coming from it make me feel peckish, dont know what Charlie makes of it :lol:

:hmm: D2D

Ah well you'll have no probs running that :lol:

As for the smell, yes, I tend to find I am starving by the time I get in after driving my shooting wagon (mine smells like a barbeque). I've driven behind a mate who uses waste oil from a chippy before and that was pure torture. I am ashamed to say I stopped off at my local chip shop straight after for cod & chips ;)

ZB

Edited by Zapp Brannigan

What happens if you get stopped and dipped?

TC

Nothing - the law changed in 2007 to the effect that you can use up to 2500 litres of oil per annum before you have to register for taxation. IMHO you would only raise eyebrows if you were using a very high mix, had a heater unit installed or were using pure oil/white spirit mix.

ZB

Ask if they want salt & vinegar on it ??

Stop it STOP IT STOP IT - all I can think of now is fish and chips... ;) Perhaps this is why I am a bit of a tubster these days, and is nothing to do with my self diagnosis of big bones and genetic disposition toward lardaholism.

ZB

Edited by Zapp Brannigan

:lol: how much

77698 ES Vegetable Oil PM79 15 1ltr £8.30

http://www.booker.co.uk/catalog/searchcate...mp;keywords=oil

and yes it would ****** the audi :hmm: , good quality bio would be ok though ;)

it'll be plus vat if from a cash and carry,

Fortunately mine goes on the company fuel card so at least the vat comes back but if you do a 50 do mix diesel and oil with a 50 litre tank you're saving approx £6.25 is it really worth taking the chance of clogged injectors and a knackered pump?