pigeon flapper

erk108

i have just purchased a pigeon flapper(motorised) looks great and cant wait to try it out.Do i have to put decoys around the flapper and if yes then do i place them randomly.Also is one flapper going to be enough and do they really bring the pigeons in as i heard good things about flappers.

I think they have to be close to or on the ground, if you hit a woodpigeon and nail it in the head it tends to do a few back flips on the ground due to nervous energy before it is 100% dead and that, if there is a bird or two about, can be very attractive and draw them in for a shot soooooo on the deck would be my advice.

**Edit** Another thing to consider is a pigeon will open it`s wings and glide into a pattern only if it is well committed, a pigeon that is still paddling it`s wings over/near the decoy pattern is not committed and is ready to fly off, therefore something is not right so birds flapping, as opposed to gliding about a pattern, are seen as a thing for pigeons in the area to be wary of.

Birds flapping on the ground however are a good thing.....competition for a good food source or excitement at a good feed source, or simply trying to get in front of the greedy bu**er in front.

My 2p`s worth and not the woodpigeons :lol:

This is from another thread, however have a read and a think :good:

I have observed pigeon feeding in a flock on the ground,and there seems to be pigeon flapping amongst the flock most of the time.They just flutter about, moving position. This is what the flapper represents.

I use a flapper and I much prefer it to a magnet,it looks more natural.

I have had pigeon land right next to it on many occasions.

I always put my flapper on the edge of the pattern, no particular reason, it's just what I do. I'm not sure that it makes any difference where it is.

I have two flappers,but I don't always use them both.It seems to me that one is good enough.

Also it is excellent for crows, it pulls them in superbly. :hmm:

Edited by caeser

i have just purchased a pigeon flapper(motorised) looks great and cant wait to try it out.Do i have to put decoys around the flapper and if yes then do i place them randomly.Also is one flapper going to be enough and do they really bring the pigeons in as i heard good things about flappers.

I have observed pigeon feeding in a flock on the ground,and there seems to be pigeon flapping amongst the flock most of the time.They just flutter about, moving position. This is what the flapper represents.

I use a flapper and I much prefer it to a magnet,it looks more natural.

I have had pigeon land right next to it on many occasions.

I always put my flapper on the edge of the pattern, no particular reason, it's just what I do. I'm not sure that it makes any difference where it is.

I have two flappers,but I don't always use them both.It seems to me that one is good enough.

Also it is excellent for crows, it pulls them in superbly. :yes:

Just out of curiosity, what flappers are you both using?:oops:

chris

Funny enough I was over some barley this morning with a few laid patches, I noticed that when the birds were dropping into the patches the flapping/flaring motion just before they touch down was really eye catching, not just to me but indeed each time a bird dropped in at the other end of the field it pulled several from sitting trees on the end I was set up... I reckon with standing crop it would need to be positioned above the crop level to achieve that pull. I'll be off out tomorrow to get one myself...

Just out of curiosity, what flappers are you both using?<_<

chris

Electric Pigeon flapper MK 4 . You can buy a pair for £99.00 which is what I did. But like I've said, I think one would be OK. I much prefer it to a magnet.

Cheers <_< , Could you tell me where you got them from please?

Edited by chrispti

• 2 weeks later...

I have two but don't always use them both. Some days they work some days they don't.They can have a negative effect as pigeons flap when they fly off as well as land so I bought a timer so the flapper doesn't continuously flap.Got mine from uk shoot wharehouse link above with a discount.

Bought some dead bird cradles aswell and I have found on the few occassions I do go out these always work

Bonny Dazzler you must be built like a shire horse to carry all that gear aswell as the batteries your a walking bomb :hmm:

• 2 weeks later...