22 Moderator

cubix

Hmm, I bought one, but havent fitted it yet cuase I wasnt sure.

Do you know :

Who does it?

How long does it take?

What does it cost?

What happens if you don't?

I think I'm allowed to fit one without it being proofed, but can 't sell it like that?

The rifle is a CZ and was screw cut at the factory then proofed in its own right.

The Mod is a SAK.

Edited by cubix

Fraid so :lol:

how do you work that out? I believe there is no requirement in law to have a mod proofed? and if there was can you tell me how a reputable gundealer sold me an unproofed ( no marks no nowt) mod, fitted it to my .22 rimmie, and eneterd it on my ticket as make and number "unknown" my FLD and FEO are happy with this.

I am also sat unscrewing and looking at my wilcat mod used on my .243 center fire and that has no proof marks either let alone any identification numbers, so how do we get away with that if you need them "proofed"

cheers KW

Hmm, I bought one, but havent fitted it yet cuase I wasnt sure.

Do you know :

Who does it?

How long does it take?

What does it cost?

What happens if you don't?

I think I'm allowed to fit one without it being proofed, but can 't sell it like that?

The rifle is a CZ and was screw cut at the factory then proofed in its own right.

The Mod is a SAK.

I think you are mixing up mod and gun.The mod doesnt need to be proofed but the rifle does after screwcutting(if you are going to sell it)You can legally use a rifle that hasnt been proofed after screwcutting but you cant legally sell it.

My 223 ruger was screwcut by one RFD and fitted with a t4 mod,

after keeping it 2 year or so I went to trade it in at another RFD and,

he said he had to send it away with the mod and get them both proofed,the rifle

proof cost was 80 quid and the mod 8 quid as it was sent with the rifle,

MOSA recently bought a T3 rifle from me and had to do the same after he screw cut

it and fitted a T8 both the rifle and mod had to be sent away for proofing

before he could sell it on,The dealer PXing my ruger told me at the time 2 years ago you

can buy a mod and fit it but you cant sell it on without the proof done if

its being sold with the rifle,is this just another way of extracting your cash, :lol:

So if the rifle is screw cut and proofed at the factory then you can just add the mod and its OK?

I wondered whether you had to have the proofed together as a unit. But we are saying its about keeping the structural integrity of the rilfe after screw cutting, not how it works togeter with the mod?

Read Jacksons article on the subject. http://www.reflexsuppressors.co.uk/

It may help answer your questions

The legal link in that page seems to say there is no requirement to have it proofed. So there you go! Clear as mud.

here is the transcript of an actuall case?

It concerns a case brought by the Police / CPS re gunshop owner Joe Beatham (East Barnet gunshop). The case was dropped when faced by the engineer's report as below.

http://jacksonrifles.com/zz-silencers/file...am_evidence.pdf

A screw on Rimfire moderator can be used on an Air rifle, if you say to an RFD that you are using a SAK say on an Air Rifle then he will sell to you with no problem.

If you went and asked him for the same moderator but for a .22 Rimmy, then the RFD should insist that its proofed, and entered on your FAC.

The reasoning behind this is that the moderator is being fitted to a firearm, so should be proofed.

The law is a bit silly on this but thats the rule of thumb, you will have no luck whatsoever trying to buy a T8 for instance without an FAC and full proofing, that is because this moderator is for a firearm only and therefore is covered as a component part of a firearm, but not the smaller SAK, Parker Hale type.

As an owner you do not have to have anything proofed at all, but when you sell it MUST all be proofed, so if you have a non proofed SAK on the end of your CZ .17HMR with no proof marks you should not sell it as part of that rifle, sell it as an air weapon only moderator.

IF and i mean if that is true there is a lot of rfd breaking the law.I can sort of understand the t8 argument but as i have never bought a fullbore mod from a rfd i dont know.On the other hand i have bought rimfire mods and yes they have been entered on my cert but no they havent been sent for proof.

Doesnt make sense does it.

I can buy a screw cut rifle new and proofed, but a mod seperately. Use them together, then when I sell them, sell them as separate items.

The question is, do they have to be proofed as a single unit? Or just the S/C part of the rifle, to make sure that the change to its structure hasnt weakened it?

If the latter, then adding a mod doesnt weaken it further so why have the two proofed as a single unit?

Doesnt make sense does it.

I can buy a screw cut rifle new and proofed, but a mod seperately. Use them together, then when I sell them, sell them as separate items.

The question is, do they have to be proofed as a single unit? Or just the S/C part of the rifle, to make sure that the change to its structure hasnt weakened it?

If the latter, then adding a mod doesnt weaken it further so why have the two proofed as a single unit?

if the rifle has a proofed stamp on it then it can be sold same as the mod they dont have to be proofed at the same time.

Edited by jamie g

Just a thought for you all, the gasses generated by a .22 sub sonic round are all burnt within the first 12" of the barrel, so screw cutting a .22 will not render the rifle weak in any way at all. The pressure hitting the can is minimal with a sub sonic,

But what if you use a high velocity .22 like a yellow jacket, then you are treading on thin ice when you use an airgun type can with these pressures.

To get a moderator or a barrel proofed costs about £15, they check the proof pressure and that all the thread cutting is up to standard, and that the moderator bore is concentric with the thread ( They had a batch where the round was clipping the inside of the can)

Now for £15 I would not hesitate to get a proof done, where do you draw the line with regard to proofing?

Thats why they say ALL firearms WILL be proofed I guess, sorting through it all would be to complicated so they scoop the lot up and that is that.

Just a thought for you all, the gasses generated by a .22 sub sonic round are all burnt within the first 12" of the barrel, so screw cutting a .22 will not render the rifle weak in any way at all. The pressure hitting the can is minimal with a sub sonic,

But what if you use a high velocity .22 like a yellow jacket, then you are treading on thin ice when you use an airgun type can with these pressures.

To get a moderator or a barrel proofed costs about £15, they check the proof pressure and that all the thread cutting is up to standard, and that the moderator bore is concentric with the thread ( They had a batch where the round was clipping the inside of the can)

Now for £15 I would not hesitate to get a proof done, where do you draw the line with regard to proofing?

Thats why they say ALL firearms WILL be proofed I guess, sorting through it all would be to complicated so they scoop the lot up and that is that.

there is no difference in a air rifle sak mod to a proofed sak mod so if you use subs or hv rounds it wont make a difference.

at the proof house they only fire a couple of shots though it then if it holds up they stamp it.

but a couple of other mods for air rifle wouldnt be ok for rimfire it depends what there made with on the inside of the mod