how do i go about qetting my work experience

flash

basically, as part of my course i have to do 240 hours of relevant work experience in out summer holidays. im doing a national diploma in countrside managment.

I applied for a job at the local golf course as a greenskeeper, as it would then be relevant to my course(grassland managment, as well as the waterway managment), i worked there for a week. They then had a change of heart, and decided that as it was work experience then they didnt have to pay me. They decided that i couldnt carry on doing the same stuff, as they would have to pay me, as i was doing the same stuff. So they promised me a wide variety of relevant and enjoyable work on the estate. It sounded promising so i accepted the offer, working 2 and a 1/2 days a week.

day 1

turned up for work on the first day and was told i would be working with the maintenance team(which sounded promising again), met the chap i was with, to be then told i was going around all the rooms in the hotel, looking for dead light bulbs, noting them down and then replacing them(oh joy, a very relevant job). i thought this would only be for an hour, but it lasted most of the day due to the size of the hotel. then in the afternoon i held ladders for the maintenance staff while they scrubbed bird ****e off a wall in the hotel(another relevant job). that was the first day done :good:

day 2

turned up for work as usual, and found out i was working with the gardening team, sounded alot mroe relevant, but still not what i wanted, as im not studying to be an ******* gardener.

first job, weed every single flower bed outside of the hotel(roughly in the region of26 seperate beds). this takes the ****

second job, cut down a bramble bush in the arch to the main car park. again takes the ****

third job, edge the borders around the veranda, roughly 100 metres of edging. hmmmm very relevant to the countryside.

and finally strimming one of there gardens. the only relevance was the tool.

day 3, turn up for work as usual to find i was working with the lodge keepers. thought it wouldnt be to bad and would prob be mowing or strimming. only to find out i am cleaning BBQ grills and cleaning verandas. thats taking the **** royaly.

so in the end ive decided they are taking the ****, and i could learn more working in a bleeding supermarket.

im meant to be working there tomorrow morning, what would you guys do if you were in my situation?

yours sincerely a countryside bulb changing weed picker in training

ive done 95 hours of the required 240. and have got until september the 9th.

i have friends with farms, that i could work on, even working there for free would be alot better for me and my course, then changing light bulbs.

There are two vet students doing work experiance on the farm im working on, and all they had done for 3 days was presure wash, they had a polite word with the farm manager, and now they are doing more " vet stuff".

Before quiting prehaps you could have a quiet word about the work your doing. If that doesnt work then quit and go for the working on a farm route.

i had a word with the boss on the end of the second day. saying that i was worried that i would be doing jobs that were not relevant to what im studying. to which he replied "so your not interested in working here then". which in my mind is a "i dont give a toss about what jobs you do", kind of attitude.

Just keep going you are 1/3 of the way through... you will have to start all over again..... if you are allowed another placement.

look on the plus side you may get a weekend job.. i remember laughing at the lasds at school who didnt want to do career orientated jobs and they were thrown to sainsburys and mc d s and the such .... they all ended up with part time jobs one of them is now an area manager for tescos.

Stick it out mate.

Sounds like your with a bad business, When Id did my work expeirence (Forestry) I was paid a little over the minimum wadge but was doing the normal day to day work, half way through my pay was upped as I was acheiving more than some of the FT company employees.

Cleaning bbq grill is taking the P royally.

Definately go somwere else for the rest of your time.

Flash,

Was that at Bovey Castle? Never been the same since DeSavry took it on but a very nice place all the same.

How about approach Rendells at Chagford, they would be able to help with some contacts I am sure or even Dartmoor National Park??

Jerry

Edited by sandersj89

Mum and dad had their wedding reception there some 40 plus years ago, proper Hotel in those days.

Try the Park or even the National Trust they might be able to help.

Or how about Castle Drogo, they have masses of gounds that might be able to offer something of value.

i had a word with the boss on the end of the second day. saying that i was worried that i would be doing jobs that were not relevant to what im studying. to which he replied "so your not interested in working here then". which in my mind is a "i dont give a toss about what jobs you do", kind of attitude.

My reply to his statement would be that you're not working, you're training. Point out that people don't work for free, and that you're there to learn about things relating to your qualification. Cleaning rooms and checking light bulbs, no matter how much you enjoy doing it ( :hmm: ) will not get you a pass. Tell him you like working for him but as things are going at the moment you may be forced to leave to avoid wasting a year at college :unsure:

EDIT...But the national trust would probably love a volunteer. That kind of work is great, I've done it myself!

Edited by njc110381