Shot Placement

wildfowler.250

Started using the airgun a lot more for shooting rabbits, (nice and quiet if you sit and ambush them).

My only problem was that shots behind the front leg seem to give them more than enough time to make it back down the hole so i've resorted to head shots again and run the risk of a few more misses.

Anyone else found this problem with body shots? Or have i just been unlucky recently? :yes:

Edited by CZ452

Ideal placement on a rabbit is just behind the eye, inbetween the eye and the ear

In my humble opinion that is the ONLY place likely to stop them in their tracks with a standard type air rifle. Elsewhere, is likely to turn out to give thema slow death or a big problem and a recovery. Inhumane either way.

Started using the airgun a lot more for shooting rabbits, (nice and quiet if you sit and ambush them).

My only problem was that shots behind the front leg seem to give them more than enough time to make it back down the hole so i've resorted to head shots again and run the risk of a few more misses.

Anyone else found this problem with body shots? Or have i just been unlucky recently? :yes:

feel a bit dissapointed at even reading this topic, as any half decent hunter would know a rabbit is always the head we're not talking fox here or dear,and to be honest dont think you should even have a water pistol if thats the way you shoot rabbits.with dear its different as head shots are risky it falls for the heart and the lungs and even then its not instant it can run for up to about 150 yards so think again why a rabbit is always head shot with an air rifle

feel a bit dissapointed at even reading this topic, as any half decent hunter would know a rabbit is always the head we're not talking fox here or dear,and to be honest dont think you should even have a water pistol if thats the way you shoot rabbits.with dear its different as head shots are risky it falls for the heart and the lungs and even then its not instant it can run for up to about 150 yards so think again why a rabbit is always head shot with an air rifle

and if thats the way you SPELL your quarry, i dont think you should be allowed a keyboard. ;)

give the lad a break will you. i shoot rabbits in the head, but they dont always get a clean kill. ive shot them in the neck, and that has done the job as well.

"feel a bit dissapointed at even reading this topic, as any half decent hunter would know a rabbit is always the head we're not talking fox here or dear,and to be honest dont think you should even have a water pistol if thats the way you shoot rabbits.with dear its different as head shots are risky it falls for the heart and the lungs and even then its not instant it can run for up to about 150 yards so think again why a rabbit is always head shot with an air rifle"

Sorry to disappoint! However i have had several chest shots with my water gun knock over more than its fair share of rabbits.

Was tricky to get it on my firearms though but with a bit of persuasion the supersoaker 5000 is now locked up safely in my gun cabinet. Cannot wait to headshoot some deer with it aswell, u know,really test it!

Meant to also say that I shot a rabbit in the chest last night, (with the airgun) and it fell over on the spot! What are the odds of that?! being only a 1/4 decent hunter i was really out just to wound it but what can you do :yes:

"feel a bit dissapointed at even reading this topic, as any half decent hunter would know a rabbit is always the head we're not talking fox here or dear,and to be honest dont think you should even have a water pistol if thats the way you shoot rabbits.with dear its different as head shots are risky it falls for the heart and the lungs and even then its not instant it can run for up to about 150 yards so think again why a rabbit is always head shot with an air rifle"

Sorry to disappoint! However i have had several chest shots with my water gun knock over more than its fair share of rabbits.

Was tricky to get it on my firearms though but with a bit of persuasion the supersoaker 5000 is now locked up safely in my gun cabinet. Cannot wait to headshoot some deer with it aswell, u know,really test it!

Meant to also say that I shot a rabbit in the chest last night, (with the airgun) and it fell over on the spot! What are the odds of that?! being only a 1/4 decent hunter i was really out just to wound it but what can you do ;)

:lol::yes:

Meant to also say that I shot a rabbit in the chest last night, (with the airgun) and it fell over on the spot! What are the odds of that?! being only a 1/4 decent hunter i was really out just to wound it but what can you do ;)

fair do mate just thought i would express my opinion get over it like i say me personally would only ever take head shots and to martin neck shots also do when they severe the spinal cord :yes:

trust me, nobody in here is going to make the perfect shot EVERY time, but we all do our best to make the kill as quick as poss, and shoot true. ive had a few odd shots that have hit and the rabbit has got up and walked away. not the end of the world, but would rather it didnt happen that way.

trust me, nobody in here is going to make the perfect shot EVERY time, but we all do our best to make the kill as quick as poss, and shoot true. ive had a few odd shots that have hit and the rabbit has got up and walked away. not the end of the world, but would rather it didnt happen that way.

yeah i know i probably invented the one that got away i was just pointing out my opinion and if thats upset anyone then sorry but like i say its a head shot every time for me

yeah i know i probably invented the one that got away i was just pointing out my opinion and if thats upset anyone then sorry but like i say its a head shot every time for me

same here,for me has to be headshots,that way rest of the rabbit is clean,body shots tend to leave a mess of good meat,well thats if you decide to eat them. :yes:

actually, chest shots on rabbits CAN work, sometimes they drop, but sometimes, they wriggle on the ground :/ , I do not recommend this shot, most of the time its not a clean kill. But I would just like to say that my prefered aiming points are either head or neck, but honestly no one is perfect all the time, my son neck shot a rabbit recently, but it ran on he went to fire again but its head was covered by a bush, so he fired BEHIND the shoulder, here is the strange thing, the pellet traveled clean through, hitting the heart/lung area on the way through, I found it lodged next to the opposite shoulder. My though is that it got lucky and travelled inbetween two of the ribs.

rabbit1.jpg

the crosshair being a head shot, and the red dot a neck shot.

Edited by stevethevanman

No-one is upset :blink:

thanks for the diagrams guys... Down from the ear and back from the eye. Got it :/

If rabbits are wary(tense) they seem able to travel for up to around 30sec with a good chest shot even if the heart is blitzed. Even with the top of the head

blown off with a shotgun I have seen them do aerobatics (presumably on nerves) for some seconds. Personally I go for headshots only with airrifle & upper body shots with .22lr but find some conflict in the fact we are only allowed to shoot deer in the chest & not the head for humane reasons.Given that an animal with the jaw shot off could suffer for some considerable time I think shot placement is a matter to contemplate seriously according to personal ability.

• 4 weeks later...