HELP! Shooting is it right or wrong?

studlee

Hi people my name is Lee,

I live in the city and have done all my natural life. My family and everyone i know also live in the city centre of Hull.

A few years ago a bought a £100 rifle (not to sure what it was) and i did a bit of target practice and then sold it on. Now at the tender age of 21 i have bought another rifle but this time with a great intention of taking this seriously :devil: . Its a cheap £20 rife from our car boot. I now know this is a B2 (chinese rip off) and could not take down a tin can ha :yes: .

OK OK enough of going around the houses. I have had a look at buying a BSA lightning XL which i WILL be purchasing BUT............................................My girlfriends dad said he would not like to come hunting with me because as he thinks that it is not right to shoot live quarry.

I made some of the points why i think shooting vermin is ok and he made his points (to which some was valid) on why its wrong

I know shooting rabbits and woodies to eat would be a purpose behind it but shooting for a sport IS THAT RIGHT OR WRONG! :yes:

Sorry for the somewhat confussed ramble but just thought you knowledgeable guys would help :)

I live in the city and have done all my natural life. My family and everyone i know also live in the city centre of Hull.

A few years ago a bought a £100 rifle (not to sure what it was) and i did a bit of target practice and then sold it on. Now at the tender age of 21 i have bought another rifle but this time with a great intention of taking this seriously :devil: . Its a cheap £20 rife from our car boot. I now know this is a B2 (chinese rip off) and could not take down a tin can ha :blush: .

OK OK enough of going around the houses. I have had a look at buying a BSA lightning XL which i WILL be purchasing BUT............................................My girlfriends dad said he would not like to come hunting with me because as he thinks that it is not right to shoot live quarry.

I made some of the points why i think shooting vermin is ok and he made his points (to which some was valid) on why its wrong

I know shooting rabbits and woodies to eat would be a purpose behind it but shooting for a sport IS THAT RIGHT OR WRONG! :yes:

Sorry for the somewhat confussed ramble but just thought you knowledgeable guys would help :)

Ok so perhaps you would like to set the ball rolling by telling us what your argument would be for shooting, and the difference, as you see it, between shooting vermin as opposed to other living creatures.

At what age did your family take you to see Watership Down? Do you like to watch war films? and finally how old is your girlfriend?

:yes: D2D

ok lets send this to the playpen ,only joking on a more serious note

I would say its not just for sport , its a job, thats the way i look at it without the payment ,rabbits and pigeons espcially as they are capeable of so much damage to crop.You stick to your guns (so to speak)and go for it. :)

A few years ago a bought a £100 rifle (not to sure what it was) and i did a bit of target practice and then sold it on. Now at the tender age of 21 i have bought another rifle but this time with a great intention of taking this seriously :devil: . Its a cheap £20 rife from our car boot. I now know this is a B2 (chinese rip off) and could not take down a tin can ha :no: .

I know shooting rabbits and woodies to eat would be a purpose behind it but shooting for a sport IS THAT RIGHT OR WRONG! :oops:

Ok so perhaps you would like to set the ball rolling by telling us what your argument would be for shooting, and the difference, as you see it, between shooting vermin as opposed to other living creatures.

At what age did your family take you to see Watership Down? Do you like to watch war films? and finally how old is your girlfriend?

:yes: D2D

ha ha ha ha D2D think you have now just made rank with ice :yes::blush: :blink:

ok lets send this to the playpen ,only joking on a more serious note

I would say its not just for sport , its a job, thats the way i look at it without the payment ,rabbits and pigeons espcially as they are capeable of so much damage to crop.You stick to your guns (so to speak)and go for it. :)

Hey thanks for that mature comment!! :devil:

I will go shotting as apparently for each woody or crow its capable of £1000 worth of damage each over its life span!!!

i think my weekend will be looking for my first permission! :yes:

And for the record it was CRACK and i grind it down and have it in my yogurt! :yes:

there are also ways in which you can search on here for the answers to probably most of your questions (yeah even the ones you dont want to ask)like how to gain permission and any tips and tricks to use to get your permission.

just use the search bar

there are also ways in which you can search on here for the answers to probably most of your questions (yeah even the ones you dont want to ask)like how to gain permission and any tips and tricks to use to get your permission.

just use the search bar

Thanks for that if i knew that about half an hour ago i would have not posted my first comment ahahaha looks like a got a little bit torn into

Thanks i will have a look now

Cheers

look cocker pal, its like this. we all get the pee takin out of us when we are new to the site, such is life.

dont take any of it too seriously, and when bob asks you to pass the soap.......................................just say NO!

:)

get out and find some land mate,once youve shot and ate ya first pigeon or rabbit you be hooked,shooting as the same as fishing aint everyones cup of tea,just got to try it and see if you like it,when you got to gut and prepare your kill ,thats when you ll know if its you or not.personally i dont eat a great deal of what i kill anymore but try not to waste what i kill,dogs ,ferrets and friends get most now,and usually only a few pigeons get wasted now a days. :)

look cocker pal, its like this. we all get the pee takin out of us when we are new to the site, such is life.

dont take any of it too seriously, and when bob asks you to pass the soap.......................................just say NO!

:devil:

:) and yes you will find that most of these threads do or should end up in the playpen,

its all just humor at the end of the day

and i thought it was my turn for the soap :yes:

:devil:

:) and yes you will find that most of these threads do or should end up in the playpen,

its all just humor at the end of the day

and i thought it was my turn for the soap :yes:

ha

Thanks for the clarity guys..........its all taken light hearted anyway

I think ill take a bottle of whiskey with me whilst asking for permission (bribe) might go a long way to getting it. ha

Is girlfriends father a veggie? If so, he may be hard to convince. Try the free-range, natural food angle. If he is the usual dumb*** "porkpie from an east european concentration camp for tortured pigs" eater, then forget it. There is no reasoning with these idiots! Shooting a rabbit and eating it is cruel. Buying cheap chickens from Tesco is not. :)

studlee,

What were his reasons against shooting?

My first argument when someone says they are against hunting (morally against shooting animals) is to ask if they eat meat. As tinbum said, to eat meat you must kill animals. The more that I take from the field the less that need to be farmed in inhumane conditions. Suffering arguments often follow.

Crop damage is a good argument if they garden or have had pest problems in the past.

thanks

rick

I live 20 miles from Hull, why no try and take him clay shooting, see if thie will persuade him. All the clubs will hire you a gun and equipment for about £5 a session, clays are about £5 for 25 and a box of carts might set you bck £4 or so. There's Monkton at Newbald, East Yorks Gun Club at Cherry Burton and a spot at Brandsburton too. Guarantee it he'll be hooked and then it just a small step to change his mind! :hmm: