Dried Herbs vs. Fresh Herbs

Axe

On a couple of recipes I have followed recently I have had to substitute fresh herbs for dried. I know that dried are much stronger than fresh but by how much, I do not know.

So my question is this, if a receipe asks for a teaspoon of fresh herb what is the equivelant in dried herb?

i think this is an impossible question, as some dried herbs will be stronger in flavour than others, depending on how old they are, exposure etc

But to answer your question, if it says a tsp of fresh i'd go for a pinch or two of dried, keep tasting and add as neccesary.

So as a rule of thumb 1/4 of the fresh amount. Sounds about right to me, based on what I have eperienced recently. I do take on board the differences between the various herbs. One that I ued recently was Tarragon in some Mackeral fish cakes, had to substitute for dried and ruined the meal even though I had halved the amount. :good:

I would use about a third.

It depends what herb you are using and freshness as someone mentioned before. If when you rub it through your fingers it produces little or no smell then throw it away. Generally chefs will use dried Tarragon, Oregano and sometimes Margoram and Rosemary BUT NOT any others as the flavour they give is very poor and sometimes worse than not adding anything. The following dried herbs are useless and should be avoided Parsley, Basil.

To be honest I "try" to grow all of my own herbs and seem to do very well with Rosemary, Parsley and Thyme. I use a lot of herbs and these three thrive on being hackd right back, they constantly produce really fresh new growths. I've tried Basil but I tend to kill it off fairly quickly as I think i use a months growth in a weeks cooking.

Don't forget Dried Coriander. The fresh stuff is very strong in flavour (and gorgeous) whereas the dried has no smell or flavour what so ever!

Yep! Another one, there are some more as well but my min has gone blank. Ah ha Nother, fresh Bay leaves compared to dry. :good:

Don't forget Dried Coriander. The fresh stuff is very strong in flavour (and gorgeous) whereas the dried has no smell or flavour what so ever!

Yep! Another one, there are some more as well but my min has gone blank. Ah ha Nother, fresh Bay leaves compared to dry. :good:

Mint is another waste of time using it dried, it tastes more of tea-leaves than mint.

Mint is another waste of time using it dried, it tastes more of tea-leaves than mint.

I've always thought the same of dried Basil, tastes and smells like cheap tea.

Edited: Because I can't spell!

Edited by WeihrauchPower

I think we would all agree that fresh is way better than dried. But it does come down to availability and practicality. I keep most herbs and spices in the cupboard. Dried herbs work particularly well in sauces, broths, stews, etc. where you can rehydrate them to a degree.

The fish cakes I did really needed fresh herbs but I simply couldn't get any and had to use dried.

Biggest waste of dried herbs for me has to be Mint and Parsley, it seems no amount of hydrating does the any good.

I think we would all agree that fresh is way better than dried. But it does come down to availability and practicality. I keep most herbs and spices in the cupboard. Dried herbs work particularly well in sauces, broths, stews, etc. where you can rehydrate them to a degree.

The fish cakes I did really needed fresh herbs but I simply couldn't get any and had to use dried.

Biggest waste of dried herbs for me has to be Mint and Parsley, it seems no amount of hydrating does the any good.

Yep, apart from adding colour, dried parsley seems to do nothing at all, irrespective of the amount used.

In one recipe in particular it called for Tarragon, but I very rarely use the herb. I did look for this at the local shops but to no avail. So I reluctantly fell back on the use of dried herb. We do keep some basic herbs in the garden, the ones easy to grow, but will rely on being able to buy fresh from local stores. I have alot of dried herbs and spices in the cupboard for fall back reasons and in alot of recipes that I make, they do well indeed. Of course that is not to say that some herbs and recipes must be fresh.