Butchering Deer

alexm

Had my first attempt at butchering a roe buck last night. For anyone that hasn't already seen it, I followed this helpful Geordie chap's guide on Youtube:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=tudPGNL9LK0

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=0j1rsP0VRfw

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ODKNpzBe1e4

It's easy enough to get the meat off, but keeping all the cuts looking tidy with no ragged edges and leaving the carcass that clean is trickier than it looks! Practice makes perfect I guess! :good:

Nice one that <_<

A pity the weather is'nt colder at the next bisley meet.

I could give a live demo on "lefty,s" kitchen table.

someone will of course have to supply the venison :good:

Having watched Dougy butcher a few for me i can say it is well worth watching someone butcher a carcass when they know what they are doing.

Good video :yes:

I use the same method as Henry. That video is very good though - he makes it look effortless, which of course it becomes with practice and a very sharp knife.

Having looked at the other butchery-related vids on YouTube, here's an example of how a Yank goes about it - not what the BDS is likely to deem 'best practice':

Edited by Baldrick

• 2 weeks later...

As a slaughter man I can recognise the work of a good butcher, and this guy is a good one.

I would probably bin a bit more of the snotty blood splashed bits than he would but that’s a personal choice.

For anyone wanting to make use of a shot deer it’s a very clear demonstration.

• 2 months later...
I use the same method as Henry. That video is very good though - he makes it look effortless, which of course it becomes with practice and a very sharp knife.

Having looked at the other butchery-related vids on YouTube, here's an example of how a Yank goes about it - not what the BDS is likely to deem 'best practice':

yanks dont do " best practice " ...... ull see vids on utube where they just de-breast a goose and waste the rest !!!!!!!!! :good:

As a slaughter man I can recognise the work of a good butcher, and this guy is a good one.

I would probably bin a bit more of the snotty blood splashed bits than he would but that’s a personal choice.

For anyone wanting to make use of a shot deer it’s a very clear demonstration.

[/quo

does make it look easy :good: