Pulling whilst walking on the lead

welshruger

My 15 week old ESS pup pulls whilst he is on the lead (I have only had him a week), I have started to either stop walking or or turn around and he will normally sit, can anyone shine some light as to how to get him to walk to heel and to stop pulling.

Another problem is when I call him he usually ignores me!

My 15 week old ESS pup pulls whilst he is on the lead (I have only had him a week), I have started to either stop walking or or turn around and he will normally sit, can anyone shine some light as to how to get him to walk to heel and to stop pulling.

Selective hearing is a spaniel trait, heel, they can't hear, biscuit, they will hear from 200 yards. You have to establish the pecking order with this fella, or he will be your master. I would suggest that you buy a book specifically on spaniel training as they are unique, for want of a better word!

I have been told to leave heelwork until nearer a year old with a spaniel so as not to suppress any natural desire to get out in front of you and hunt.

Mine is 8 months and pulls like a train, the breeder (and successful Field Trailling handler) I got her from had a 9 month pup when I collected mine which was fully worse.

Put up with it as best you can, I use a long slip lead and check him to take the strain out of the lead as often as necessary so he is not constantly choking himself. Then sort the heelwork later.... don't ask me how!

WGD

Wgd,

I would disagree with you in one scence, IMHO my training starts the minute the pup comes home, Basic commands like sit and stay while feeding and walking at heal on the lead !! Over time obviously. Agreed you have to let them be pups (babys after all).

I don't know about the training required for your breed but I had this problem with a Doberman years ago, except when he pulled I was dragged along with him!

I went to a school with him and the way they trained both of us was firstly to use a 'choke' chain. A lot of people don't like using these but it is not as a permanent fixture. The dog quickly realises (mine was older though, and you should read up on training your particular breed) that if he pulls, it hurts.

Mine quickly perfected pulling just enough so as not to hurt himself but still enough to build bulging muscles in my arms. So what the school showed me was, as soon as he would begin to pull, I would stop walking, give a quick jerk (right hand) on the lead downwards and in a stern voice to say "no"; I would then not continue walking until the dog completely loosened his pull. The jerk is only momentary, you are not supposed to pull back and play tug of war with the dog, it should be firm and quick and then release. The tightness of the choker is instantly released as soon as the quick jerk is done.

NOTE:it is important to put a choke collar on correctly, the pet shop will show you how, if this is put on incorrectly the choke will not loosen when the dog stops pulling.

The way I was shown to hold the lead was if the dog was on my right side, I would hold the loop of the lead in my left hand, and also hold the lead with my right hand only allowing enough lead for the dog to walk exactly where I wanted him to.

It took me a total of two weeks for mine to completely stop any pull, and he was damn stubborn. Every now and again he would forget himself and try to pull, but by then just my command of "no" was enough to stop him in his tracks.

At first I really thought he was going to choke himself to death on the choke collar, but it did work and we were both a lot happier at the end.

Maybe others will shoot me down (excuse the pun) but thats the experience I had, maybe it can help you too.

Good luck

Cos

As I see it there are a couple of problems here. the first being that your doing is only 15 weeks and the other is you only have him a week.

The reason your dog won't come when he's called is because he doesn't know his name yet!

As for the walking to heal, what you really need to do here is get yourself off to puppy training classes, and let someone show you how to train the dog to walk to heal, in a few months time when the dog is a little older.

First off teach the dog its name, sit the dog in front of you and rub it saying its name over and over again. Make sure before you do any training that the dog hasn't been fed. Each time you say its name give him a little treat he won't take long to figure out what happens when he hears his name.............. he gets a treat, so he'll soon start to bolt over to you as soon as you call him.

I agree with AUTO, training starts from day one.

Try walking him on a short lead, stopping every now and then for no reason and making him sit, you`ll have to keep it up for as long as it takes, also try garlic sausage as a bribe, it works a treat :good:

ATB

Nick

Wgd,

I would disagree with you in one scence, IMHO my training starts the minute the pup comes home, Basic commands like sit and stay while feeding and walking at heal on the lead !! Over time obviously. Agreed you have to let them be pups (babys after all).

Fair enough, if it works for you great. I am training my first gundog (having trained a few pets for basic obedience previously and in this instance I completely agree with you) and, having sought professional assistance, I am reiterating what I have been told but I acknowledge it may depend on the dog and it's nature. And as has been said, the pup's only 15 weeks - heel work is the last the last thing on its mind :lol:

WGD

If he likes treats hide it in your hand let him smell that you got a treat in your hand and walk along with the treat over his head he will look up and walk at the same pace as you.

Df

Or he could keep jumping up at your hand to get the food.

Spaniels need training straight away but that only means sit ,stay, fetch and its name all the rest will come later but dont over do the retreiving.

As you have only had the dog for a week dont expect everything to happen quickly it can take a month or so for a dog to bond with you, if it hasn't bonded with you then it wont do hardly anything for you

Edited by jasons gold

My springer used to be a right pain in the **** on the lead, tried the whole stopping and turning around method and that worked, you just have to stick at it.

Also, have you tried an electric collar? My mate has used one for his springer when she ran off and it worked like a charm! They dont hurt, it just feels like a small static shock. Whenever the dog pulls, give it a quick shock and eventually it'll get the idea of 'pulling = shock'. Give it a go and see how you get on.

i found the best way to stop spaniels pulling is to keep them on a short leash nxt to your heal and carry a thin ash branch i call it a whippy stick as you walk just wave it left to right in front of your legs if the dog gets in front the stick hits its nose and stings after a week or two he will walk fine but the problem is if you do too much on keeping him / her at heal you will struggle to get it to go out its easier to keep dog in than it is to get them to go out as he is only young try and make everything fun and you wont go far wrong