Savage .17 HMR

Lloyd90

What do you guys think of this rifle ? Hoping to step up from the shotgun as much prefer to be out with a nice rifle with a scope working on my accuracy and such, the shotgun has its place mind you.

Anyways thinking I might call the FEO in the afternoon and have the application form sent out to me, cant hurt to have a look at the form atleast, plus with the time they take I might end up with a new rifle for christmas haha :good:

Anyways, friend has a CZ 452 .17 HMR and its a cracking little gun, although I do really like the look of this Savage

http://www.savagearms.com/93r17BTVS.htm

I even saw one in a vid on youtube with a black barrel which I'd prefer over the silver one, just wondering if anyone knows any good online sites to check the price, googling just brings tons of american sites that make me depressed considering all the guns are MEGA CHEAP! ;)

Appreciate some tips and sites, looking to price up what everything would cost me and start saving to be able to afford a reasonable bit of kit! Was out lamping tonight and wishing I had a .17 HMR instead of my mates air rifle haha! :(

I think all the savage .17HMRs on that site I clicked on are too long in barrel length. If your going to be getting it for shooting rabbits the CZ is ideal or if you can afford some thing more expensive then the Sako Quad. The barrel length ideally needs to be 16" then a Sax Mod fitted is as good as any thing or get a over barrel Mod to keep the length down. As for scopes well that’s a different matter there are loads out there and every one says different so no comment on that subject sorry.

I have a CZ .17HMR & a Sax Mod and cant fault it as a very accurate and easy to use rifle. Ammo is also a different subject. I use 17gr Remies but my mate has the same rifle with a over the barrel Mod & he use’s 17gr Winchesters. Both of us shoot well with them at 100 too 150 yds at rabbits but just remember there has to be no or very little wind as the bullets will move easily at longer distances.

this is my thoughs on the matter - GOOD LUCK

Hmm we were mostly walkin round the golf course ALTHOUGH I also worried about the barrel length being too long.

My friend does have the 16 inch CZ and it is really nice, think I'll just start saving for one of them!

Can you change the stock on CZ Rifles ? One the the nicest features on that savage is the beautiful stock with the pistol grip lol!

Anyways cheers for the tips guys, BTW how often do you clean your .17 HMRs ? I was reading up and its saying you need to clean them every 50 rounds or so but people are often saying how they never clean there rimfires :yes:

I also looked at the BTVS, but finally went for the CZ. I loved the look of stock on the Savage and felt it was just right for me but the metal parts just didn't look (or feel) quite right. They seemed a bit cheap which was disappointing on a comparatively expensive gun. I particularly didn't like the magazine release which seemed to be a bent metal clip. My overall concern was that it wouldn't last well in the field after taking a few knocks. So I got the CZ, but everytime I get it out I wish it had that fabulous BTVS stock! One day I will throw some money (and a 4 to 6 months wait) at a Richards Microfit stock which may be my ultimate answer....... At least you know either of them will be fun, whichever you pick (what's the betting you end up with a Quad?! :yes: ).

Jonno

I loved my savage, though it was the FSS. They shoot great and are smooth to work. The stock on the BTVS is really nice and I love the feel. I almost put one on my savage before I sold it.

The mag release is not a problem for me. It is very close to the trigger guard so if you were going to catch on the mag release you'd have caught on the trigger guard anyway. It is not sensitive, i.e. bumping the mag release doesn't drop the mag out easily. It takes a bit of force and you're not going to accidentally knock it loose.

That said, the BTVS isn't a truck gun. It is a bit long to be a truck gun compared to the short barreled CZ or even the sporter barrel in the savage. The BTVS isn't that heavy to walk, but it isn't as light as a standard barrel non-thumbhole stock CZ. So if walking long distance is going to be your thing and you're sensitive to weight, then give it a pass. Where this one does really shine though is as a target gun, a bench gun, a prone gun from a bipod, and similar situations. Also if you like a meatier gun that doesn't feel like a toy (see previous thread) then it is a great gun.

Thanks

Rick

i have the savage btvs thumbhole and find it a real pleasure to use and handle it is extremely accurate, i use it mainly for rabbit at long range and would say it is the best rifle i have ever used for the job and that's comparing it to a 22rf and a 22fac air rifle. i chose it using the same initial method i used when choosing my wife LOOKS and haven't been disappointed in either.....saying that i will never run a cz down in any cal i have one in 223 brilliant.

Phoned my local RFD today and got some price quotes

Savage Arms + Bipod + Mod = £553 Its the Harris Swivel Bipod(£79 I think) and the Mod (£35 I think)

Savage Gun = £439 Just the Gun.

CZ + Bipod + Mod = 479 With the Harris swivel bipod (£79) and the mod (£35)

CZ Gun = £365 Just the Gun.

Already found the gun £100 cheaper on, although Im not sure just how far it is away from me lol!

http://www.livens.co.uk/index.asp?selectio...mp;subcat=17HMR

Any good ? Ive always thought the shop was a bit expensive. I personally picked the harris swivel because I want to really save up and get quality kit going, prob get the long legged one so can shoot from sitting position (When shooting prone the other night you couldnt see some of the rabbits as the ground was hilly lol)

Whats the Quad like then guys ? Would probally be convenient since I could just buy a .22 LR Barrel for it If I wanted to shoot that aswell, was thinking to maybe ask for a .17 HMR for long range daytime shooting and a .22 LR for night shooting :yes:

Edited by Bigthug87

What do you guys think of this rifle ? Hoping to step up from the shotgun as much prefer to be out with a nice rifle with a scope working on my accuracy and such, the shotgun has its place mind you.

Anyways thinking I might call the FEO in the afternoon and have the application form sent out to me, cant hurt to have a look at the form atleast, plus with the time they take I might end up with a new rifle for christmas haha :good:

Anyways, friend has a CZ 452 .17 HMR and its a cracking little gun, although I do really like the look of this Savage

http://www.savagearms.com/93r17BTVS.htm

I even saw one in a vid on youtube with a black barrel which I'd prefer over the silver one, just wondering if anyone knows any good online sites to check the price, googling just brings tons of american sites that make me depressed considering all the guns are MEGA CHEAP! :hmm:

Appreciate some tips and sites, looking to price up what everything would cost me and start saving to be able to afford a reasonable bit of kit! Was out lamping tonight and wishing I had a .17 HMR instead of my mates air rifle haha! :yahoo:

This was the first `hmr i looked at then the dealer showed me a Anschutz for the same price, i know the 15/17 has not got the thumbhole stock but my mind was made up the second i picked it up the quality of the savage can not touch it. Before you decide go and look at a few guns, you will know when you pick up the right one :yes:

Bother - I was wrong! I went out with a mate at the weekend who has got a Savage BTVS (22, but I think they are pretty much the same as the 17). It really was as nice as it looked and my concerns on possible quality fell away after I tried it. The stock feels so natural. Makes my CZ look so drab. The bunnies didn't seemed bothered by the fact it was cromed, and even the SAK was a silver colour (Just needs a silver scope now :rolleyes: )