Which Walking Boots?

Toby

Hi,

I Have been wearing my pair of Hush Puppie waterproof walking boots for about 2 years and I now find them a little too cramped and they are also leaking. Therefore I need a new pair of boots, the hush Puppies were only about £50 and at the time were bought as suitablle footware for a tip to China, I never thought I would get as muich wear out of them as I do and so there fore I am prepaired to spend more for a good pair which will last.

I assume that now I am 16 my feet wont grow much more, is that correct?

I dont need anything that is high legged because I have got a pair of Hunter Screel High boots which are fantastic but a biut OTT for walking the dog on most of our local walks.

I basically mostly use my walking boots for things such as walking the dog when it is not dry enough to wear normal shoes but not wet enough to require my wellies. I also use them for fishing, when I go to the range (can be very muddy) and basically if im doing anything where they are well suited!

I dont want anything too heavy, they MUST be water proof, comphy and hard wearing. Finally, my budget is £150, although obviosly I would quite like to have some change from that!

Im sorry it is such a long list of preferances but im quite fussy!

Cheers,

Toby

I've got a pair of hi-tec eurotrek boots, christmas pressy, I think they're a bout £90. There bloody good, I do lots of wading in them and they haven't rotted. There water proof upto the very top. Comfortable, nice and light, good ankle support and they also look quite nice.

As long as you dubbin them often they should last a while.

its gonna sound odd, but after going through all sorts of boots growing up, i have found that a well polished, well worn in pair of DM's do the job at a reasonable price, there have a great grip and as long as you look after them they dont let in a drop!

Deffo scarpa.... scarpa ranger gtx (goretex) are the cheaper but sturdy boots, but the scarpa SL's are the biz.... you'll not need to buy another pair of boots for a long time..... tough, sturdy, Dont leak, very comfortable.....

chaeper boot still would be brasher gtx lite or hill masters... very good boot too.....

i do alot of walking, hill/fell walking, climbing etc... ive had many boots before now, and in my opinion, you cant go wrong with scarpa... meindle are good too and raichle(?)...

most important thing is that they fit... any good walking shop will have a downhill ramp for you to walk down, this is when ill fitting boots will show.... also, you can get the insoles formed to your footbed with a heat machine thingy.... Very good investment..

hope you get sorted mate with a quality boot.

I have had 2 pairs of magnums and they were both rubbish. Comfy but the soles split within 12 months and generally did not seem very well built. They can not be resoled.

I have a pair of Lowa's that I have been wearing every day for work for the last 4 years. They are really comfy and very durable. I have had them resoled once. They cost £120.

I have a pair of Meindl Burma Pro's for shooting and walking. They were not as comfy from the off as the Lowa but they are a very good boot with great support and grip on rough ground. They cost £140.

Harry

I`m on my second pair of Brasher Hillmasters, last pair gave me about 6 years of perfect wear and tear. (about £100 a pair)

Goretex lined, so totally waterproof, and like a pair of slippers from the start.

Tried Meindls, no where near as comfy, but its all down to personal choice, go and try a few makes on in the shops, top tip, take the insole out and hold it against your foot to check for size :good:

ATB

Nick

Edited by nickb