Advantage what ?

Browning

I'm looking (Santa's coming) at getting a new set of warm, waterproof camo gear, and I'd be interested in which of the advantage patterns would be best for general

woodland, moorland, grassland, marshland etc etc.

I know that each pattern is best suited to one individual backdrop, but Mrs Brownings purse strings will only stretch to one set of kit.......so I'm looking for the closest to a "Jack of all trades".

Cheers,

Browning

Browning I think people can get too wrapped up in this camo gear ( Excuse the pun)

I use a Deerhunter Montana jacket and trousers in standard Green for most of my shooting be it Pigeon, Rough or Wildfowling and have never found it a disadvantage

I do have a deerhunter Ram jacket in Hardwoods ( reversable ) but the camo side doesnt get that much use. Generally if Im rough shooting Im on the move so camo gear is not much of an advantage and if im pigeon or wildfowling Im behind a hide so again its superfluous to some extent.

Consider the Ram Jacket which gives you the best of either plain or camo. As to which pattern is the best who really knows. I think its been well documented that its as important to keep motionless in dull clothing than to try and conceal your self perfectly into the undergrowth as prey generally reacts to movement not to colour.

FM.

Mr. Browning

If you do decide to go for the advantage patterns, and want to save a few quid; dont make the mistake that I did, and buy a load of ****e of ebay!

The jacket I bought was very cleverly worderd in its disription, and I thought I'd got a cracking bargin. When it arrived it was the exact opposite to what I had been led to believe. It was a real cheap looking mac.......an it didnt even have a friggin zip!!!!

I'm not going to mention any names, but these jackets do appear very regularly on ebay; so be aware.

Paul in North Lincs.

Cheers lads.

Paul - Don't worry, I'd never buy clothing that I couldn't see and try on first. I'm lucky that I have contacts that can get me clothing at trade prices direct from the manufacturer.

Mike - I agree entirely with people putting too much emphasis on camo, it will never make up for poor fieldcraft. I'm more interested in the waterproof & warm bit, but as I'm getting them anyway, I may as well get camo. (I already have a Loden Jacket & trousers).

Remy - Thanks for the websites - interesting info on there.

I know where you're coming from with this question...

I decided a year ago that Advantage Timber was probably the most "british" in terms of pattern colour/palette etc. I bought a Deben Storm Parka for £125.

I then fell head over heels with Max-4 and bought a Remington 4-in-one parka with tonnes of features, great build quality via a mate in the states who shipped it over. It was $125 and three times the quality of the Deben jacket.

Ultimately I've worn the Adv Timber one a handful of times and will be looking to Ebay it now that I've found a pattern that I feel confident in.(Interested?)

Hardwoods Green is just that - too green

For woodland I'd plump with Adv Timber or Max-4 (given that birds look down and its a great woodland floor/detritus pattern

For hedgerows, wildfowling, stubble shooting or anywhere where there is stalky rough cover then Max-4 does the business.

Shame you can't get it in the range of jackets that you'll get Adv Timber in.

i have a few patters i have hardwoods green advantage timber and mossy oak most and there all full sets it helps your pocket to if a friend sells it all and ebay and i can say its not the **** that the guy further up bought i nearly fell in to the same trap till i found out that a great cheap coat was may of pvc so be aware if anyone wants to have a look at my mates stuff look under seller yzfmick

I've bought several camo suits at Cabelas and I am very pleased with them, my favorite is advantage timber because i do a lot of stalking in woods. For the pigeon shooting I am using a ghillie suit and I am almost invisible for them, the only minor point is that if someone see you, they think you are nuts. :lol:

I'm looking (Santa's coming) at getting a new set of warm, waterproof camo gear, and I'd be interested in which of the advantage patterns would be best for general

woodland, moorland, grassland, marshland etc etc.

I know that each pattern is best suited to one individual backdrop, but Mrs Brownings purse strings will only stretch to one set of kit.......so I'm looking for the closest to a "Jack of all trades".

Cheers,

Browning

Browning,

Just buy the standard DPM's from army surplus. They are cheap, hard wearing and most of them are now goretex lined. PM me if you want a website.

LB :lol:

Standard army kit is not Goretex lined!! it may well be ripstop and shower proof if it is new enough. It tends to look a little para military, I wear it for hide shooting roost shooting or flighting. For normal walked up shooting drab colourd clothing will do the job admirably. Some of the most camoflaged creatures in the woods are brown and are only given away when they move, such as: squirrels, woodcock and hen pheasants to name just a few examples of animals you can get verry close to b4 you see them

Standard army kit is not Goretex lined!! it may well be ripstop and shower proof if it is new enough. It tends to look a little para military, I wear it for hide shooting roost shooting or flighting. For normal walked up shooting drab colourd clothing will do the job admirably. Some of the most camoflaged creatures in the woods are brown and are only given away when they move, such as: squirrels, woodcock and hen pheasants to name just a few examples of animals you can get verry close to b4 you see them

Put your hands deeper into your pockets son. :lol:

LB :D