Possible badger Cull

ollie

Ollie,

As a keen badger watcher a few year years ago I have a real passion for animals, they’re very social and very intelligent acting very similar to a dog would at times.

I was involved in deploying surveillance equipment on lots of sets that were used by Oxford University to study their behaviour, they had multiple cameras on a number of sets and had many thousands of hours of these animals, some of the clips were great, one I remember was a badger stuck its nose out of the hole and a Tawny owl flew down and tried to catch it thinking it was a small creature, the buggar got a shock when it discovered there was a badger on the end of it.

As for your question….I think if the cull was carried out humanely with tests on each badger set then we have to look at lifting protection on these animals for examples like the one in the story.

How can a farmer cope with that?

As for the scum that dig these out from their sets and bait them with dogs…. well these just want injecting.

I love Badgers and always will, but if we need to take diseased animals to help protect the majority then that’s what needs doing, both parties the farmers and Badgers alike.

The PM

I think that calling badger baiters "scum" is a little harsh. Despite this activity being illegal now, in the 'old days' it was a legitimate method of controlling these creatures as well as a good method for getting badgers for their skins. I am also sure that there are people like you, that enjoy watching foxes, so does that make fox diggers scum, also?

We can all get slightly hypocritical at times, cant we? Although I do consider shooting with a rifle the best possible method to cull badgers, should the need and legislation for it arise.

Happy shooting

Jon :lol:

P.M. there has been some nights while out lamping that I have come across a badger and watched it for ages because they are so interesting like you said. If a badger cull was to happen they must make sure it's controlled, so as no healthy animals die.

As for the badger diggers I think it is a disgrace if it's still being done and the people that do it need disciplined.

Yes, these Defra culls are carried out a lot more than some people realise. There are cage traps set not too far from where I live and all captured badgers in a given time span that are caught are shot, or dispatched humanely. However, the farmers that get their enitire herds culled because of TB from the badgers are only too pleased to see them controlled.

Defra do act upon scientific facts and not just opinion.

Jon :lol: