Countersignatory

Hi there.

Im after gaining a shotgun certificate for clays and am just reading the application form the local gunshop gave me.It says that the person acting as reference must be a doctor,lawyer,bank officer etc etc,but to tell the truth-i dont know anyone like that.My GP who had known me all my life (im 38 by the way!) died last year so im stuck for ideas.

Im not excally a newbie to shooting despite never having own licence cos i used relatives various weapons (.22 rimfires,12bores,410) and also many years ago used to attend local indoor target shooting again using their rimfires.I've always had an air rifle throughout my life and still have one now tucked away in cupboard!

The one person i thought might be able to sign is my boss as he's known me for 5 years now.Will my application be rejected because he isnt a lawyer etc etc???

I consider myself mature,responsible around weapons,no mental illness or disability so what do you think of my chances of using boss for reference.

ps.I live in Cambridgeshire by the way if thats any help!

Is the law different on this for shotgun and firearms certificates? It used to be doctor lawyer and that stuff for all at one time, but when I did my firearms cert application a while back it was anybody of a respectable sort. I just got one of my farmer chaps to do it, but his wife took over and said he was a tow rag and she was of better character than him. Anyway it passed muster.

evilv,

yes, it is different for a referee (FAC) and a countersignatory (SGC), though the difference isn't much. The Countersignatory calls for someone of standing. They list doctor, lawyer, or anyone who would be listed in a public record. However, in talking to my FLO when I applied, anyone of good standing would be fine. He said anyone who has completed University (he might have said college since I didn't know the difference at the time), who is a manager, or similar would work.

For the referee, it can be anyone who has known you for 2 years and meets the residency requirements.

Thanks,

Rick

Right-another question! (you lot will soon get fed up with me!)

It says on the second page to give details where the shotguns will be stored.Do i have to state that the gun cabinet will be in a spare bedroom or is this section for people who might already own any unlicenced guns???

ps.I just got the obligatory photos done at Tescos!

Thanks for that! I'll try to word it similar to yours!

I cant honestly think of a reason why i shouldnt be granted a certificate,but im cacking myself!

It will be fine i have just had my FEO visit two weeks ago and all was fine my advice wil be , when you send off the application leave it two weeks then chase it. When the feo gets the applicaton tell him that you are due to shoot in a competition, and hopefully he will put it at the top of the pile thats what mine did and i should get mine next week . All done and dusted in 6 weeks

I cant honestly think of a reason why i shouldnt be granted a certificate,but im cacking myself!

It will be fine i have just had my FEO visit two weeks ago and all was fine my advice wil be , when you send off the application leave it two weeks then chase it. When the feo gets the applicaton tell him that you are due to shoot in a competition, and hopefully he will put it at the top of the pile thats what mine did and i should get mine next week . All done and dusted in 6 weeks

great until the FEO enters into friendly banter, you stumble over your story and he finds out you lied about it.... :yp:

evilv,

yes, it is different for a referee (FAC) and a countersignatory (SGC), though the difference isn't much. The Countersignatory calls for someone of standing. They list doctor, lawyer, or anyone who would be listed in a public record. However, in talking to my FLO when I applied, anyone of good standing would be fine. He said anyone who has completed University (he might have said college since I didn't know the difference at the time), who is a manager, or similar would work.

For the referee, it can be anyone who has known you for 2 years and meets the residency requirements.

Thanks,

Rick

That's very 'classist' isn't it. Half the world goes to university these days so I'm not sure how long that will stand as an indication of good standing and since I regularly see university students staggering about drunk and peeing in doorways in Newcastle where there are 30,000 students, it doesn't look like a good training for being 'of good standing,' anyway.

Well, since my bird is a doctor, I can get any number of her colleagues to sign me off as insane.

great until the FEO enters into friendly banter, you stumble over your story and he finds out you lied about it.... :yp:

I agree. Telling lies is a mugs game. Apart from the fact that liars are dogs, most people fall over when they try to lie to people who are cleverer than them which for lairs is most people.

The Northumbria Police are really quick at issueing certificates. You couldn't ask for a faster service. maybe if you have some problems in your application, it will take them longer to decide.

evilv,

Thanks,

Rick

That's very 'classist' isn't it. Half the world goes to university these days so I'm not sure how long that will stand as an indication of good standing and since I regularly see university students staggering about drunk and peeing in doorways in Newcastle where there are 30,000 students, it doesn't look like a good training for being 'of good standing,' anyway.

Well, since my bird is a doctor, I can get any number of her colleagues to sign me off as insane.

EvilV,

I can only go by what I was told.

Thanks,

Rick

As someone who is qualified to counter-sign passports and SGC etc, here is my opinion.

For a countersingatory, someone of a similar standing would be, for example, someone who is a member of a professional body. Most of these 'bodies' require a degree of some standard. I am able to counter-sign passports and SGC etc. as I am a member of the IET, and consequently need a degree to beocme a member. However, I also need the relevant experience in industry. So, for someone just leaving university, they can't become a member stright away, as they have to gain the experience first.

So far (touch wood) no one has had there forms declined because of my signature.

evilv,

Thanks,

Rick

EvilV,

Thanks,

Rick

Thanks Rick - I wasn't chipping away at you there by the way. I have always thought these forms were linked to class snobbery. The assumption is that so called professional people, landowners and the like have superior judgment to the average person. Some do, and some don't, while some of the sanest and wisest people I ever met, were in economic and professional terms very humble indeed.

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update!

Got a phone call today while at work from firearms officer asking if he could come round...which gave me an excuse to go home early.I explained my goof about forgetting 3 minor motoring convictions from 22 years ago and he amended my application,but it made no difference cause all i have to do now is get a cabinet then ring to tell them! So tommorrow,i'll pop to gunshop and buy a cabinet!

So all in all-its taken them 14 days!

but my doctor who I havent seen or spoke to in 10 years would be acceptable. :|

You'd need to conduct a seance to contact mine..! I listed his name on application form because i just dont have a clue who my GP is now,but it obviously went through alright. :good: My boss signed the countersignatory thing which was good enough cause its all gone through in quick time too. :yes:

evilv,

Thanks,

Rick

EvilV,

Thanks,

Rick

Thanks Rick - I wasn't chipping away at you there by the way. I have always thought these forms were linked to class snobbery. The assumption is that so called professional people, landowners and the like have superior judgment to the average person. Some do, and some don't, while some of the sanest and wisest people I ever met, were in economic and professional terms very humble indeed.

Its not really a question of class. A Solicitor or Doctor has a professional reputation that relies on their judgement. If this is shown to be faulty, then they really do lose business and the confidence of their clients and the public. When they sign that form, they are putting their professional reputation on the line and, generally, they'll let you know how seriously they view that if they agree to sign your form. Not something they'll do in the nod for a "mate".

evilv,

Thanks,

Rick

My flo said the same thing anyone within a respectable position idealy with a university qualification. I went to uni and to be honest they was just as much scum there as anywhere else. 6 guys on my course got sent down for dealing :good::yes:

but i did my mate and he had no problems.