goose shooting

food for free

• 1 month later...

I have been goose shooting all over the UK and Aberdeenshire is the best area for shooting geese. Word of mouth is the best way to find a good goose guide, and i would never use anyone who has to advertise either in shooting mags or internet etc

There is only one guide that is above everyone else and i had to wait over a year to get a week with him, which was worth the wait! you only need to ask around the best goose shooters to get his name and details, which obviously you would not list on here!!

Beware, there are alot of 'rip off guides' up there too

I didn't realise there was an issue with any of the BASC guides but it sounds like you do. Why not explain what you mean rather than all the cloak and dagger stuff? If some event is already public then, well, it's public.

I'm assuming you're referring to this http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/north_east/7012678.stm

I don't know which guide, if any, they used and don't know much about the story.

Why not tell us about your good and bad experiences and who it was with? Or at aleast about the good ones.

The guide in question is one the BASC list, who not so many years ago was working with another one of the BASC guides and being a regular customer up there, it was a regular occurance to arrive at the processing factory in Mintlaw where it was clear to see bags well in excess of 100 birds being delivered.

Another subject which i think is a complete farce are the articles written regulary in the sporting magazines of another one of the so called top guides i wish these editors really knew the history and tactics used by these people it would make them cringe!

Safari in Scotland?? More like a safari round the Vale Hotel in Fyvie from what i witnessed!

the guide doesn't even hold a valid shotgun certificate

It makes my blood boil that these 'Top Guides' can take working peoples hard earned money... mine included!

I was aware of the two competing "safari" guides who seem to be having a constant ding-dong at each other via various forums and blogs. I'm not sure I'd want to give my business to either of them right enough, but they don't seem to appear on the BASC list.

Sounds like you've had a bit of a nightmare Top-Shot. There must be some good guys out there.

Ever thought about forgetting about guides Piebob , getting out some maps of the area you wish to shoot and go it alone ( after checking with BASC\ local club its not a non shooting area ). The thought of sitting in a field all day being directed by a guide when to shoot is certainly not my idea of trying to shoot a goose.

Locate an estuary that holds good numbers of geese ( look at the wildfowl counts for such estuaries ) and spend time studying the maps for likely feeding places and roost sites and plan to intercept the birds as they flight between them. You may only have a few chances in a week , but that’s is the real thrill of wildfowling as apposed to just goose shooting. Every bird will be remembered and foreshore experiences savoured when you return home. There is a lot more to wildfowling that just shooting.

The last time I went up to the Solway I had only two chances at a goose all week . But the magic red dawns , sights of thousands of geese at flight , wigeon flighting across storm tossed seas and carpets of barnacle geese feeding all around me were worth more than a sack full of geese shot inland over decoys. And I had the satisfaction that the birds I bagged were due to my field craft not mere targets that a guide provided me with.

Hi anser2,

Yes, I've *thought* about fowling quite a lot. I've heard mixed reports about the local fowling (Montrose basin) so have steered clear so far but may well join to see for myself.

I have never used a goode guide - was just trying to help out with the question - but I have shot geese at a local splash and over stubbles with another gun.

Hi Piebob,

Well your right in what your saying in me and my great friend Andrew richardson having a go at each other all the time because he does not like us doing better than him.

If you visit my blog you will see my clients this season have shot there limit bag on most mornings and i dont let them shoot 100 geese in a morning like the guides do up in aberdeenshire

I am sorry but i dont need your business i have many clients that come back year after year

Your right i am not a basc guide and dont want to be one either in fact i am not even a basc member

I know what top-shoot is talking about when he goes on about these guides up in aberdeenshire it was john lewis who let his clients shoot the wrong type of goose a basc guide i also know the guide he is talking about that feeds the field close to the loch.

Top-shot how do you feel about the guide you use selling fields to a italian agent that shoot's around 60-80 geese every morning i know the guide you use :good:?:mad:

Well top-shoot has said in in one about my great friend andrew richardson of safari in scotland it has made my day him saying how it really is with Andrew

All the best

Regards

Edited by wildfowler-2007

• 11 months later...
has anyone had any experience of goose guides in scotland.

I am looking for somewhere to book this year for a few days duck and goose shooting.

Anyone got any contacts or had any experience.................

Yes, Dupplin estates, no fannying on with a guide and they have 1000`s of prime acres of farms and river and lochs that any guide would kill for in the Strathearn/Perth area.

Yes, Dupplin estates, no fannying on with a guide and they have 1000`s of prime acres of farms and river and lochs that any guide would kill for in the Strathearn/Perth area.

Yes that is very true they have great goose shooting.

The head keeper at Dupplin is Bill Mackintosh, the chairman of the East of Scotland Association for Wildfowling and Conservation. A great guy.

Click Here

:hmm:

Yes he dose come across as that but i know of some lads that have had to work with him & he is the complete opposite to work with a chilldish & diffacult man was what iv heard isint it amazine how everyone has 2side's to them.

Edited by v-max

Dupplin can do morning/ evening/ or moon.

Anyone who has worked for me, and found me childish/difficult was obviously a poor underkeeper, and I would question what estate are they running at the moment. Only ever had one realy bad underkeeper, and he came from the Montrose area!., never lasted a season, all the rest have been with me years. :

Yip great ground but what i hear is they only ever shot them under the moon no morning flight's etc etc

Regards

Did the moon flight once up in fife and loved it.

I know a few guides up this area and wthout wanting to upset any....they bitch about each other worse than any women do.

• 1 year later...
I have been goose shooting all over the UK and Aberdeenshire is the best area for shooting geese. Word of mouth is the best way to find a good goose guide, and i would never use anyone who has to advertise either in shooting mags or internet etc

There is only one guide that is above everyone else and i had to wait over a year to get a week with him, which was worth the wait! you only need to ask around the best goose shooters to get his name and details, which obviously you would not list on here!!

Beware, there are alot of 'rip off guides' up there too

hey im thinkin of going to scotland for a goose shooting trip and i dont want to go to any of the "rip of guides" as you call them. could you tel me who the guide you you went with sounds like you had a good time r could you suggest any other guides?

thanks

duck hunter

• 5 years later...