UK Grand Masters, Southdown.

Peter De La Mare

Yes, most of my misses were loopers. Didn't miss a single teal, and only 2 bunnies (the 50yard ones) and got the vast majority of crossers/incomers.

I need more coaching on how to judge the speed and distance on Loopers/Battues/Chandelles/ anything that's doing an upside down U in the sky basically.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no idea of what the setup is at Caterham these days Peter, but some of those birds sound like a version of what they used to throw - probaly not as rangey.

Maybe someone who has shot more recently can confirm what it is like now? GD used to get along there for practice, and to take the high gun money of course - and that can't be that far from you

Well my tuppence worth.

I was in squad 13 on Saturday morning and began in the lane on stand 1. The first three stands here were sun affected on at least one of the birds. This could have been avoided by adjusting the cages to point further North (left a bit more) and moving the right hand trap accordingly. This should not be seen as me griping as all the stands were excellent targets. My problem however is consistency. The number of times I was straight only to miss the last pair or miss one or two early, then hit the next few only to finish the stand as I started was very frustrating. I finished on a disapointing 68 when it should easily been at least ten more. First stand on the way back off the stage, rabbit then long battue, was for me the toughest. I shot a three but would to have loved to have stayed to practice a few more. If a shoot makes you want to do that it has to be good.

The valley. Holy mother of god. For all you lucky people on the way to Cyprus at the moment that will have put you in good stead. Had my usual probem of course but then the wheels well and truely came off. The rabbit with the incommer. Saw the squad in front all miss the rabbit and I never came close. There is probably close to a thousand rabbit clays laying down there which Dave can no doubt use again. I only hit one of the blooding incommers as well and that was a chippy one. Next stand was the blaze left to right beneath you and I scored a big fat zero. 1 out of 16 and I was gutted. Lost all my confidence after that and finished on a 56.

My squad asked if I enjoyed it. No was the answer I gave because I shot so poorly, but in truth of course I did. The targets were excellent it is a shame that only about 250 people over the four days will have shot it. Dave deserved more support, however the Cyprus jaunt will have put numbers down I guess.

With his Winter series to come I urge you all to get down there "where the AAA class grow"

Cheers Boondock

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know where / when the scores for this go up?

It is really crappy that they throw on these expensive competitions and then never finish the admin job by posting the blinkin scores.

Here's another example: http://www.shot-your-trap.co.uk/2.html results of August competition "watch this space". That was over 6 weeks ago.

Yours,

Amazed that no club in the UK can seemingly manage to run a website or a computerised scoring system of any description

Yep,

Just keep doing those straw bale 50 birders every weekend, you'll be shooting 85 - 90% :yes: , you'll be grabbing those Gold sprayed plastic trophies at every shoot but you'll come down to earth with a big bump whenever you venture out to shoot some quality targets at grounds like Southdown or Hepworth Hall.

Cat.

I was rather surprised that for me (on the clays [hay bale stylee] for a little over 2 years) and I was but a mere twenty odd targets behind you Cat and that was over a 24 stand 200 birder all day event.

For those 20 targets how many extra years and cartridges did that require?

It just appears to be a numbers game - the longer you shoot and the more you shoot the better you get :yes:

Edited by Mungler

Insert the biggest yawning smilie you can find here

Hello....who rattled his cage...???

I answer to Mungs question, it does take many years to build up the depth of knowledge required to put together potentially winning scores at major events, I won the Herts County Sporting for the first time in 1985, (I think :good: ), but sometimes I still get caught out, that's why I like to shoot challenging and well run events like the majors at Southdown.

Cat.

You did with your remarks about straw bale shoots.

Let me ask you a question, before you rose to the heights of stardom and won your first trophy which wasn't a gold sprayed plastic one where did you used to shoot?

How many Strawbale shoots did you/do you still attend?

Let me ask you a question, before you rose to the heights of stardom and won your first trophy which wasn't a gold sprayed plastic one where did you used to shoot?

How many Strawbale shoots did you/do you still attend?

I shot clays for probably about 5 years before I entered my first competition. I used to run my own "Sunday Morning" shoot with some manual traps on a farm that I had the shooting rights on. I built my own tower above an old chalk quarry and we used to throw some very challenging targets. I was lucky, I could shoot on this bit of ground 7 days a week without any noise complaints, and I made full use of it.

Believe it or not, I actually won the very first competition I entered, it was a YFC 50 birder "Straw Bale" jobby near High Wycombe, and I shot a 46, as did 2 other guys, and I beat them in the final shoot off, using a borrowed gun, an old Citori Black action trap gun, which I was very silly not to have bought off my mate who lent it to me.

I don't shoot "Straw Bale" shoots nowadays, for one thing, there seem to be fewer around nowadays, most insist on fibre wads, (which I prefer not to use), they can also be a real rip off with relatively high entry fees and no prize money paid out, also they always clash with something a bit more exciting.

They do have their place on the shooting scene for novices or those that can't be bothered to travel, but I just can't get too fired up by them nowadays.

Cat.

Is it really a case of those who can't be bothered to travel? Within a 15 mile radius of where I live I can shoot every saturday and sunday if I want. The clubs I shoot at have different set ups every time I go, sometimes easy sometimes hard.

For me to go to southdown would be a 4-5 hour battle with the M25 £30 in fuel and that is before I have fired a shot. Add that to a £30 entry fee and £20 for cartridge plus something eat and you are looking at £100 just to shoot a few clays.

Don't get me wrong but until I can straight shoot every haybale shoot I go to then going through all of the above to win £30 isn't going to happen.

My discipline is target rifle shooting, which I will happily drive to Bisley for a day or weekend on the range but for a couple of hours at clays then that isn't going to happen, unless some kind soul wants to sponsor me.

Maybe I am spoilt as near me every shoot bar one you can use plastic wads and I never pay more than a tenner for a 50 bird shoot. Unless I go to Colchester Garrison and then it is 12 quid. Most of the shoots I do are £7 for a 50 bird shoot. I can leave home at 9.30 and be home by 12.00

I read some interesting statistics recently about the amount of CPSA members broken down into various groups, such as those who shoot registered shoots etc. It was certainly an eye opener :good: I'll see if I can find them......

Nowt to do with anything but thought I'd mention it....