UK Grand Masters, Southdown.

Peter De La Mare

well some of you guys are lucky. apart from the odd shoot there ****** all around me without travelling and the cheapest shoot i know is £12 for 6 birds and thats nearly an hour drive away. if i shot the amount of shell some of you do i could probably be useful.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotta love the Straw bale shoots, lets not forget lots of us are simply pleasure shooters (to steal LV's phrase). It's no fun spending a fortune to miss lots of quality targets but much more enjoyable to spend an afternoon of selfish time away from families once a week with friends and a good laugh.

Gotta love the Straw bale shoots, lets not forget lots of us are simply pleasure shooters (to steal LV's phrase). It's no fun spending a fortune to miss lots of quality targets but much more enjoyable to spend an afternoon of selfish time away from families once a week with friends and a good laugh.

Got to agree with that :good:

I don't care much for the attitude of the elite in clay shooting (as I might have mentioned once or twice ??? )

I would hate to think I'd be like that if I ever got good enough, which is unlikely, as I don't have that kind of drive and I can't seem to take it that seriously.

I think it should be a decision of 'each to their own'

My shooting consists of shooting small club shoots between 70 and 100 targets every Sunday morning with a group of friends, and some weeks there could be 2 or 3 of us and then some weeks there maybe 8 or 9 and we all vary in abilities and experience. Even though they might be classed as 'staw bale' shoots I wouldn't class any of them as easy.

My shooting is also a couple of trips to the South West Shooting School in Ilfracombe for a 3 night break, again with a group friends normally done in April and October, I also shoot at Churchills at High Wycombe on a Saturday morning maybe once every 6 weeks, and at Purbeck Shooting School in Dorset 3 or 4 times a year as I know the owner as he ran 3 Counties a while a go and its a nice place to have a walk round at your own leisurely pace for a bit of practice.

I've shot the odd registered shoot at 4 Counties and Wylye Valley and did ok, but I'm happy with the level I shoot and certainly wouldn't knock anyone because of the level of what they shoot whether it's a 40-birder in the local farmers field on a Saturday morning or a 200-bird national open at a massive shooting facility with all the mod-cons.

again i think it's a benchmark thing

reg shoots can tell you how well or not :good: you are going in black and white and grouped (classed) with those of similar ability to compare yourself

ultimately setting personal targets or simply maintaining standards

Not sure about the elitism tag directed at top clay shooters. I shot better many years ago competing against Jim Stafford - won British Open, Colin Foden - 2nd in World FITASC, Brendan Frost 3rd in World FITASC, Kevin Mayor - Britsh Open winner. At some point - beat all, bar Brendan Frost . All of these shot a mixture of big competitions and "straw bale" shoots.

More recently - John Stafford - World DTL Champion, John Twigg - won more DTL shoots than you can point a stick at. Not one of these didn't do the smaller competitions as well.

It also has to be said that there are some thoroughly decent human beings in there. Jim Stafford won many competitions, but was still a great bloke - something that sems to have rubbed off on his son John. John Twigg - smashing bloke. Kevin Mayor - no airs and graces about him.

There is quite a few down here as well.

I have shot registered shoots as non-member and shot he same grounds when the shoot wasn't registered, apart from extra expense of entering there wasn't any difference in the birds.

There are some good non registered shoots that are terrible, realy not worth the effort, certainly round my way.

But from reading the write ups on here not all registered shoots are that well organised, so some of the decent non-registered shoots may well be better than them.