old cartrides

I have just been given a load of cartridges from a freind who no longer shoots and they have been sat in his garage for ages anyways i through the rusty one out but kept the ones minus the rust that were clean but in a dusty nick. Do you think they will be ok to shoot they havnt got very wet at any point just damp in the garage. Failing that whats the best way to dispose of them .

Cheers Tim

• 2 weeks later...

keep them dry. try them. i used some old shells a month back, most were fine. a few did not go off first click. have a trigger twice on a couple. some did not work at all. i would say do not use them for pigeon or game as i got annoyed when i had a good shot and just heard a click. use them for clays or something. hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rasputin,

If they have been in his garage for anywhere between 75 and 100 years then the best way I could advise to get rid of them would be to give me a ring and I will pretend I am bringing the family down to see the illuminations and I will pop round by yours and pick them up. (some silver will cross your palm)

paul

• 2 weeks later...

MM. it sounds like you might be safer giving them to me Tim.

how many thousand have you..

only joking if any have rust on the brass just rub em with steel wool then use them. no probs

iv'e just shot some eley alphamax from about 1950 every one worked perfect.

dont worry.

BUT if they missfire dont open the gun for at least 30 seconds and point the gun at the ground away from other shooters. :unsure:

keep them dry. try them. i used some old shells a month back, most were fine. a few did not go off first click. have a trigger twice on a couple. some did not work at all. i would say do not use them for pigeon or game as i got annoyed when i had a good shot and just heard a click. use them for clays or something. hope this helps

Isn't this a bit dangerous? I've heard that they can still go off after a while if you've already whacked it, as peter-peter was implying. Wouldn't be a happy bunny if it decided to go off when you opened your gun to reset the trigger... :blush: :unsure: :blink:

• 3 weeks later...

I think the real danger here is if you didn’t carry out the correct “Hang Fire†drill after you hear the click and no bang.

1. Keep a firm hold of the weapon.

2. Keep the weapon pointing in a safe direction.

3. Wait 20-30 seconds.

4. Angle chambers away from you before opening the gun.

5. Never place the dud \ blind round in your pocket or back with live ammo.

If you find too many of your rounds are duds \ blinds then dispose of them else you should be fine.