Permissions

tomleatel

Ok.. So i hvae been out and spoken to all of the local farmers, and have told them that i am interested in Pigeon Shooting etc etc. They have taken my details and told me they would call me.....

I done this a few weeks ago, and have heard nothing :drinks:

Should i go back out and follow up?, or just wait in the wings and risk someone else getting in on the act?

Got all the gear, but getting very frustrated that i can't put it to use!!!!

Hope someone can help :drinks:

Cheers

Terry

Tom,

I have only lately got back into decoying pigeons and I have asked 3 or 4 landowners for permission and it has never been refused. None of them said they would ring me back. If I heard that I would take it as the brushoff. I have seen it on this sight about farmers ringing guys up but farmers are as busy and as lazy as you and I so I hope they ring but...... Get the permission from them there and then and by all means leave your details. A couple of farming brothers smiled on Sunday afternoon last when I asked, they were bemused that someone took the trouble. I live in N.Ireland and it might be things area little more relaxed. Good luck with everything.

Try keeping an eye out on the winter crops on the farms you have approach, if a field is being hit by woodies and no one shooting them off then approach the farmer to inform him hs crop is being mulered by pigeon and would and could you shoot the field if just for the day, his crop in £'s going down beaks and the offer of a free bird scarer may just temp him, if it pays off foot in the door for further days as long as you keep your nose clean and respect his wishes. but do your homework as to what the crop is and the usual safety and country codes.

good luck.

I made up some cards and laminated them, on the card was my name, address, phone number, member of BASC, fully insured and last but not least that I only use felt cartridges.

There are a lot of crows in my area, on speaking to farmers I hand over my card and say that crow and pigeon shooting is my hobby, they have all taken my card and most of the farmers I approached have said that I can go and shoot as many crows as I like.

I have not had one phone call from them but I do make sure I get their mobile number, I tell them when I go out on their fields and I always tell them how many I have shot at the end of the day.

I am very fortunate as I work offshore on a 6 week on 6 week off rotation so I can go round lots of farms during the weekday looking for permission.

Hope this helps

Seisobs.

I try to have a look at the fields before i go and see them, but obviously don't want to go to far into the farm...

I have seen loads of Pigeons in particular destroying the cabbages.

Worse thing is that i never seen anyone else around during the week shooting. I've taken my dog for the longest of walks, and never hear any gunshots or meet anyone else shooting.

Still i shall continue :drinks::drinks::drinks:

If you have made the initial contact and haven't been told "No", or they have someone else shooting the pigeons, then definitely call back in a month or so, especially if you can point out any of their fields that are attracting pigeons.

Farmers are much more sensitive about pigeons when their rape is getting hit hard in the Winter and they are putting out bird scarers and the like.

That is always a good time to make your approach.

• 2 weeks later...

sorry, hope you don't mind me tagging a question on to this but i have a related question. When I live there a quite a few farms but i have no idea who owns what land. Is there some better way of knowing who owns the land than just pot luck? I would probably ask all the farmers anyway but would rather know I was talking to the right person.

sorry, hope you don't mind me tagging a question on to this but i have a related question. When I live there a quite a few farms but i have no idea who owns what land. Is there some better way of knowing who owns the land than just pot luck? I would probably ask all the farmers anyway but would rather know I was talking to the right person.

I have the exact same question...

I've had the exact same problem, I've visited a farmer a month ago to ask about shooting pigeons, crow and rabbit and wasn't given a no, the lady said she'd ask her son and I left a card.

I went back and made a polite visit two days ago to ask if they'd had any further thoughts, she said she'd not had the time to talk to her son properly as they've been so busy, what with all the wet weather then getting a settled dry period, they'd ben busy sorting the fields.

The land over-looks my house, and today I saw a large flock of 30 or so pigeons swirling up and down as well as a whole bunch of crows, all waiting to be shot.

I'll give them another few weeks then move on.

Cheers

Michael

I have an OS map of my area 1:25000 scale and it gives all the farm names and has fields marked on etc. I have been using this and google earth to identify farms worth visiting. I don't think there is an accurate way of knowing who owns what as they might rent the fields out to other farms.

We used to know a farmer who rented extra fields miles away no where near his farm house.

If you have access to a colour printer and the internet (I asume you have because you are reading this) Go on the OS website and click on the area you are interested in getting permissions. A 1 in 50,000 map will come up, zoom in to 1 in 25,000 you can move this map around to get the farms you want, the 1 in 25,000 also shows the field boundary's. When you have the farm you want right click, save as a gif image, you can then print out each farm / area you want.

Of course i don't do it because it has a crown copyright at the bottom of the page.

May I also suggest you have a good pair of scissors handy!

Hope this helps

Jake

This is a common problem and I have got round it by asking in the local pub, asking the tractor driver who is working in the field, going into the nearest farmyard and asking, "Is the big field of rape yours ?" (or something similar), asking dog walkers, people in their gardens.....

In the country, most locals know who owns what, or who farms what

Incidentally for £9.99 you can buy an Ordnance Survey map book for quite a wide area (I have Kent and part of East Sussex covered in 2 books), with all the fields marked.

Any Farmer knows his fields and it takes them no time at all to mark your book for you, they know how important it is for you not to be in the wrong place.

I mark fields with the Farmers initials in pencil and then if I get permission I ink the initials in.