Pigeons in N.Ireland / Ireland

Ballymac

As the title suggests. I know we do not have the large flocks that are across the water, but this last few weeks I have been out and shot a total of 7 magpies 2 grey crows 3 crows and 2 rooks. I could have had a left and right on a pair of buzzards this morning :blush: No I did not.

But it made me think is this all that we have left to shoot at?

Where are the pigeons at the moment. Earlier this year there were a lot more around and there is definitely more food around for them. Maybe the problem is they have too much choice, or where they over sshot in the earlier part of the year.

Let me know what you think

Well, the birds are about cos i have frightened a brave few. Lots of feral pigeons where I live {Lisburn}but woodies too. On Monday I had a resonable wee bag. I was out last night beering and felt a bit ropey today, but as I was scouting the fields on Thursday the high winds had lots of birds fying ond dropping into stubble. So I finished early today and was set up at 4.00pm. Lots of birds fying that were feral and woodpigeon but no crows. Quiet to start then in a space of 45 minutes or so I had a bit of action. Steady single birds then a flock of feral birds. Wet dream of 2 birds with 1 barrel, then a lighting bird into an oak tree, then a fast woodie trying to avoid me. This was clean kill head back. Most satisfying bird today. Then a bird needed dispatch so I walked out to finish it when 3 pigeons kept coming in on the pattern. Got one of them. then it all stopped. This was over stubble barley.

http://i263.photobucket

Well, the birds are about cos i have frightened a brave few. Lots of feral pigeons where I live {Lisburn}but woodies too. On Monday I had a resonable wee bag. I was out last night beering and felt a bit ropey today, but as I was scouting the fields on Thursday the high winds had lots of birds fying ond dropping into stubble. So I finished early today and was set up at 4.00pm. Lots of birds fying that were feral and woodpigeon but no crows. Quiet to start then in a space of 45 minutes or so I had a bit of action. Steady single birds then a flock of feral birds. Wet dream of 2 birds with 1 barrel, then a lighting bird into an oak tree, then a fast woodie trying to avoid me. This was clean kill head back. Most satisfying bird today. Then a bird needed dispatch so I walked out to finish it when 3 pigeons kept coming in on the pattern. Got one of them. then it all stopped. This was over stubble barley.

Gerardscamera011.jpg

Gerardscamera011.jpg

what make of gun is that mate? browning???

tweddle, its a Lanber gold sporter. I am enjoying learning to shoot it. Im a DTL man and have used the 3800 grade 5 for years now but decoyng is different as you know. "Buy cheap and you buy twice" I have guns up the yazoo and did not want to buy an expensive shotgun for decoying but the wee s/s spanish wasnt doing the job so I bought the Lanber. Good gun for the money.

The photo shows a wee bag from Fiday evening and just as I was packing up I could see a flight of 5 duck winging around the stubble. You never know yer luck......................

well i was out last saturday shot 27 pigeons best i had in a month r so. yes 2much food but i wud say some ppl r shootin the birds 2early. dunno when do yous start shootin pigeons

Interesting, I don't start shooting pigeons until 1st September. AFAIK in NI there isn't nearly as big a problem with pigeons destroying crops that they have on the mainland (Due to the fact we don't have as many pigeons) During August I spent some time shooting crows (Cause there were loads of them on barley that hadn't yet been harvested and was starting to lie down) There were also plenty of pigeons at that time but as i said I don't shoot them that early. Actually I put a magnet out for the pigeons as I'd bought one at the end of last season and didn't get much of a chance to use it. (Mainly due to the fact there were no pigeons about then) Had some great fun watching it pull the pigeons in, it was their lucky day ???

I don't shoot until September because I find it distasteful that young uns are probably left starving in nests, the ducks on the local golf club pond seem to be having more of and later hatches of young uns. Changing seasons perhaps, certainly things seem to be getting later with the mild weather we are having. I watched a lot of birds being shot in July/August time, that always frustrates me. If left to September I'm sure everyone would have a better shooting season when we actually want it ... Sept - Jan, best part ... no starving chicks :good:

Bag size? I really don't go shooting to fill my freezer or worse still throw excess dead pigeons in ditches. The last two Saturday mornings my brother and I shot 10 birds between us over decoys. We pack up at that stage as its all the birds we require, we'd had great sport and plenty of shooting as we aren't the best shots in the world :lol::P:lol: Opposite my house there is a huge stubble field, after we came home from shooting last Saturday I watched 2 guns shoot there all afternoon killing I estimate 40-50 birds, what's the point in that I ask, wouldn't it be better to take a reasonable bag and leave the rest for another day/to breed?

Opinions?

I'll get off my soapbox and put my halo away now :lol:

John

PS: FWIW there are quite a few pigeons around Comber direction atm, I always find they disappear around this time of year though. Or maybe they just all get shot!

wouldn't it be better to take a reasonable bag and leave the rest for another day/to breed?

Not if your justification for shooting them is pest control, the reason why they are on the general license (as far as I remember).

It could be argued that you should be shooting as many as possible.

Nial (Living in Edinburgh but from B'fast).

Hi Tullyhubbert, in June there were loads of pigeons hitting the fields, and as is the case a lot of crows. I normally decoy for both crows and pigeons at the same time and usually have the crow decoys on the magnet as there are more of them. The crops needed protecting but I suppose in a way the pigeons need protecting ( in N.Ireland any way).

At the moment though spotting a flock of pigeons is a rare sight. I have a few farmers who have not been able to get their crop in, and am watching the fields with interest, but it seems I am the only one the birds have no interest in it. This is why I was asking how others are getting on with numbers shot or even seen.

BTW Is that Rockmount that you were referring to with the number of ducks ?

Not if your justification for shooting them is pest control, the reason why they are on the general license (as far as I remember).

It could be argued that you should be shooting as many as possible.

Nial (Living in Edinburgh but from B'fast).

My justification for shooting them is the sport involved, although the farmers won't miss them I don't believe we have so many pigeons in NI that they are a huge problem. No doubt there are times that they can be a problem, a few shots or a banger usually moves them on though.

Each to their own, what's right with me may not be to everyone's satisfaction.

Nial, what are pigeon numbers in Scotland like compared to NI?

--

Tullyhubbert

Nial, what are pigeon numbers in Scotland like compared to NI?

I've only started so have only been noticing them properly for a while so can't definitely say.

I haven't seen any really big flocks here like they seem to have down south and there seem to

be about the same number generally kicking about as at home so the numbers are probably

roughly the same.

Nial.

Edited by Nial