Gun stock extension.

Cranfield

I am tidying up an old side by side and need to extend the stock by half an inch.

The extension is to be permanent and I don't want a rubber/leather slip on sleeve.

If anyone has done this, I would appreciate some advice.

What is going to be the easiest to shape and work with material, to make the extension out of ?

Also, I anticipate the original butt plate will not fit the extended stock, so do I just look for one that does, or is there a better solution ?

I had this done to mine years ago, being a Beretta the guy said "we don't stock wood that plain, but I did my best to match it"

You can use wood, or you can use vulcanite, have alook at Chambers Gunmakers site they do them oversised you just file then down to follow the shape of your butt, if you pardon the expression :good:

http://www.gunspares.co.uk/shopdisplayproducts.asp?page=5

I did this on my 20 bore and it looked pretty good done, but I got impatient and made the mistake of using the offhand ginder, that was at least a year ago and it still stinks everytime I use it - so I wouldn't recommend that :good:

Its a professional job but if the gun is not an heirloom or a fine gun it can be done. I was within a hares breath of doing it in early summer but didnt. Your first job is to find a decent piece of timber. If you find a good bit of hardwood that will do. Dont worry about matching the grain as I have seen a number of extentions that dont match. Watch out for Prince Charles in any newspaper when he is shooting and you will see an extention that does not try to match. If you do wish to blend or match the extention then you need an artful hand. This is done by using Indian ink to match the lines of the grain and needs a careful eye. No, your real work comes when you attach the extention by wood glue,clamp and screws if it were me. The extention must be too big all over. Then you begin the careful job of wasting the extra wood off. A band facer as used in schools is good or a spokeshave. You dont want to hit the existing butt. It requires skill and patience but by no means impossible. Mine was a Spanish "Ebor" and was no financial risk but 20 years ago they put some lovely timber into them old "worth nothing guns". Half an inch is not a lot and i bet it can be done by yourself. Wales's gun seems to have at least 2 inches added. Good luck.

Did my last one in Walnut, then sprayed it black with Plasticote. Not overjoyed with the finish. Previously used Vulcanite. You can get a good finish, but it stinks, it's filthy and gets everywhere. I too have gone down the grinder route (through impatience) and ruined a new blank. I would use Vulcanite, but take it steadily.

I purchased a butt pad and have shaped the butt and fitted it.

Despite not being a DIYer, I am very pleased with the result.

The stock has been wetted down and the nap removed a few times and no more nap is appearing.

The first coat (well diluted) of walnut stain went on today and subsequent coats as necessary, will be added over the weekend, I don't want it very dark.

Next will be the Tru Oil and then the sheen.

When I have finished I will post a piccie, if it turns out half reasonable. :good:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
If you do wish to blend or match the extention then you need an artful hand. This is done by using Indian ink to match the lines of the grain and needs a careful eye.

I'm about to do an extension in walnut I want to add the detail of the figure where do I get this Idian Ink from and do I paint it on with a fine brush?