Neoprene or Leather?

rimfire4969

I am going to get some new wellies.

Is it worth spending the extra money for leather on the inside or is neoprene good enough? :good:

What make would you buy?

Is it worth spending the extra on Le Chameau or simular?

I only want to keep my feet warm while standing around roost shooting or in the hide decoying. :good: I have some good boots but also want wellies for the very wet days and for a bit of beating.

I've just ordered my replacement wellies having been through the same dilema. I quickly dismissed the leather option as a few chaps on the shoot either have them or have had them; all vow, never again. They look great at first, but either leak or fall apart or both. I suffer from cold feet, and have gone for the Aigle ISO. My previous Le Chameo have served me well over 10 years, and still have some life in them, but dont look too good now.

webber

Get the cheapest rubber boots you can , just make sure they are well fitting. The cost will be about £8.-9.00 a year. I had a pair of £50 hunters that lasted a week and have got through 5 pairs this summer ( exchanges ). All went on the seams with the exception of one where the heel fell off. A couple of years ago I got a expensive pair of neoprean boots. My feet were always sweating in them and they lasted just one season ( well 5 months realy ).

Prior to this I got the cheapest pair i could. All lasted a year and some went for 2 years and i wear my boots hard , maybe 300 days a year and often for 8 hours for a streach. Back to the cheap ones again and no problems.

Neither... I like my Hunter Neo Galloways for knocking about but wellies don't give decent ankle support if there's any real work to be done, buy some decent boots and gaiters - Meindl Dovre Extreme's or Le Cham Mouflon Plus will keep you dry to near enough the same height as wellies (how often are you actually in water to the top of your wellies), they are warmer, more comfortable, give more support and cheaper than Le Cham Chassuers.

WGD

I wear a pair of Le Chameau Viezornord neoprene boots near-constantly from October through to March. They provide more under-foot than Hunters, and have outlasted my Muck boots (which got destroyed by a variety of sprays and farm chemicals). I had the leather Le Chameau Chasseurs, byt they aren't as warm as the neoprene-lined versions.

In fact I can't think of a single farmer I know that doesn't wear Le Chameau wellies.

I wear a pair of Le Chameau Viezornord neoprene boots near-constantly from October through to March. They provide more under-foot than Hunters, and have outlasted my Muck boots (which got destroyed by a variety of sprays and farm chemicals). I had the leather Le Chameau Chasseurs, byt they aren't as warm as the neoprene-lined versions.

In fact I can't think of a single farmer I know that doesn't wear Le Chameau wellies.

Your farmers must be doing well wearing them :rolleyes:

I have the same boots, lovely and comfy, would never change brand now.

Next time i will get leather lined and full zip though as i do get too hot and sweaty wearing neo.

Edited by Hot-Shot

Your farmers must be doing well wearing them :rolleyes:

I have the same boots, lovely and comfy, would never change brand now.

Next time i will get leather lined and full zip though as i do get too hot and sweaty wearing neo.

Well, we were after the 2007 harvest. You can roll the wellies down, for that amusing if impractical 'Captain Jack Sparrow' look.

I couldnt get my head around the question if Outlast was as good as, better than, or less effective than neoprene? So I went for neoprene again.

webber

Thats true there is no real reviews on them but i supose i got had by a sales pitch,the chap had some and said there great. Im pleased with them so far and will let you know when we get some frost on the ground

• 1 year later...

I couldnt get my head around the question if Outlast was as good as, better than, or less effective than neoprene? So I went for neoprene again.

webber

Thats true there is no real reviews on them but i supose i got had by a sales pitch,the chap had some and said there great. Im pleased with them so far and will let you know when we get some frost on the ground

Can you believe i joined up to ask this question (kit freak :hmm:)

A year later can you give the world finally a review of those Outlast boots and ideally a comparison to the neoprene lined. I like the idea of the outlast if it is anything like as warm as the neoprene but can wear them all year, and would love to know how the lining is lasting. Many thanks if you can! :)

The outlast boots are better than neoprene. With neoprene if i put them on cold ,my feet seemed to stay cold all day but with outlast they warm up quick. They also seem more comfortable in summer. The big test was last week in the snow and while walking they were ok but sat in a hide for a few hours with ice and snow on the ground they were a bit chilly but not frozen and far better than neoprene. To sum things up i will definitely always buy outlast from now on. :yes:

The outlast boots are better than neoprene. With neoprene if i put them on cold ,my feet seemed to stay cold all day but with outlast they warm up quick. They also seem more comfortable in summer. The big test was last week in the snow and while walking they were ok but sat in a hide for a few hours with ice and snow on the ground they were a bit chilly but not frozen and far better than neoprene. To sum things up i will definitely always buy outlast from now on. :good:

That's good enough for me, outlast it is. Sounds ideal, i'll just vary the socks for the season. Thanks for the quick reply as well i'll be off to get some tomorrow :good:

have tried a few on today.

Liking the Parcours Vario Outlast and also the Parcours Iso Open. Cant decide!!! Liking the zip entry of the open but found the Outlast a good, comfy fit. Anyone got any views on the zipped variants.......are they prone to failure/problems?

have tried a few on today.

Liking the Parcours Vario Outlast and also the Parcours Iso Open. Cant decide!!! Liking the zip entry of the open but found the Outlast a good, comfy fit. Anyone got any views on the zipped variants.......are they prone to failure/problems?

It's a tricky one isn't it. Ordered the outlast ones today though, ASAPs review and the fact that as it is i can just about get away with unlined boots and big mohair socks did it for me, i'd expect to need another summer pair if i got the neoprene ones. Got them for £110, i always ask for a price match with the cheapest website if i don't get them from there and i can't remember ever being refused that :blink:

No personal experience of the zipped ones but i'd expect them to fill with mud pretty quick and it takes away the adjustability at the calf, my german army winter trousers will need that i expect.