LCD TV with freeview.

Cranfield

I intend to buy a 20" flat screen TV with freeview for our guest bedroom (and to give my wife a better choice to watch TV when Sky has the football on).

As it will not be used constantly, I am looking at the cheaper options and even considered one of the "refurbs" off eBay.

This seemed quite a simple purchase, until a chap mentioned to me to beware of flat screen cheap TVs which show the people on the screen as short and fat (a bit like ours does when playing a videoed programme).

Does anyone know what technical reference I should be looking for in the TV specification, to make sure this doesn't happen ?

Any recommendations of makes and models would also be appreciated.

I was looking for one one of these for my bedroom and did a fair amount of research.

Basically people said don't bother with the cheap ones the sound and picture are ****.

I ended up getting a Sony Bravia KDL-20S3000 for £270 from Amazon, while a bit more expensive than some the quality shows.

Samsung

the le19r88 or 87/6 if you buy it from non DSG groups.

Check your happy with volume the samsung can produce before buying.

Samsung has been remarkably reliabile for the number of units sold. The sony 20s3000 is very nice, but only recently a reasonable price. Ontop of which its due to be replaced with a 4000 model.

Cranfield, it's like anything mate, you really get what you pay for. Why not set a budget and get the best for your money...

So how many ££££££'s do you wanna shell out? I work at Dixons head office and I could look around to see if I can assist..... before I get inundated with "can I help out" I don't work in the shops......

One more thing carnfield, being that it will probably be a budget TV, if you can get 100hz tv that will make the picture clearer if you are feeding it with just an RF cable.

Richer Sounds usually have some good deals, they often have end of line stuff too which is fine for a spare room (or the missus :hmm: )

Have a look here http://www.richersounds.com/productlist.ph...amp;sgroup=LCD2

I was advised not to buy a TV with an integrated Freeview. The rationale was that the screen will outlast the receiver, a relatively fragile component with a seemingly finite life. I have had three separate Freeview boxes die in the last 2 years. Now I just have a Humax PVR alongside my Philips LCD, and the two complement each other well.

Samsung

the le19r88 or 87/6 if you buy it from non DSG groups.

Check your happy with volume the samsung can produce before buying.

Samsung has been remarkably reliabile for the number of units sold. The sony 20s3000 is very nice, but only recently a reasonable price. Ontop of which its due to be replaced with a 4000 model.

Got to agree.

Just got myself one of their LCD's, picture quality the best on offer at Comet. I reccommend you don't buy mail-order unless you've seen the model 'live' because not all picture qualities are equal.....

My brother has not long bought a Panasonic Viera with freeview, auto set up so it's easy, and honestly the best picture I have ever seen on a TV, my friend who works for Sony has a Bravia and says they are ****.

I've got a Comet own brand Proline make and find it OK.

One thing I would not have on a TV is a gloss finish to the outside rim of the screen, make sure it's matt as the room lights reflect back terrible off it.

my friend who works for Sony has a Bravia and says they are ****.

Your friend is very very wrong! Unless your stars spell 'good' (or some other 4 letter word meaning excellent which I can't think of at the moment)

Edited by Dr W

Loads of good advice and much appreciated, especially the links. :lol:

I am thinking now that integrated freeview may not be a good idea.

Cranfield, I am going to disagree, I would opt for inbuilt freeview every time. The picture quality is so much better when it is in built due to the fact that there is no signal loss between the freeview unit and the TV. If you use a separate box and a scart lead, the signal is converted from digital to analogue, then back to digital again, this will ALWAYS equate in signal or picture quality loss.