.223 noise levels

how much more noisy is a modded .223 compared to a .17 hmr modded.never fired a .223 ,but have land passed up to .243 and it seems a waste not to have a bigger calibre in the cabinet for when needs arise.mainly looking for a fox gun ,.223 seems the way to go ,thinking cost wise for ammo compared to .222 22-250.do not really have time for reloading,.shoot a .17 cz with a dm80 at the moment,but need a little more range for foxing.

,although i have shot 2 at 80-and 120 yards and dropped them with one shot there are times when the xtra yardage might be usefull.

if you have a good can on the .223 it really is not that much louder than the hmr. Without the can though it will cause hearing damage quickly. The hmr also has a good crack without the can fitted but no where near the same as the .223 :yes: . I shoot on fields that back of a housing estate and touch wood I've never had a complaint when using rifles. I have received grumbles when using the shotgun though :good:

Ive had armed response out whilst using the shotgun, because someone complained about the noise. It was 12 in the afternoon but oh well :D

What was the cost of ammo you got ? I think in the new shop opened by me (Which is ALOT cheaper than the old shop for most things) had a box of I think 20 223 for £18. Is this good ??

Btw what was the cost of say 20 222 ? or 22-250 ?

Edited by Bigthug87

I have both use 17hmr for rabbits , don't like to use 17/20 grain bullets on foxes just not enough hitting power for comfort that it will be dead . 223 with a 55grain soft point does the job .

The 223 will be quite a bit louder even with a good mod on the end . The 243 would do a wider range of shooting although some forces will not approve for vermin control , too big a calibre

I note the comment about having the armed response out , Dorset police operate a reporting log which you call up before you go out and tll them what guns you are shooting . the location and the times you will be out . Then if they get any calls they will not need to send out the heavy squad . Always worth doing this if your force operate that system .

With regards cost of ammo I'm buying .17hmr at around 20 per 100 & .223 at 36 per hundred .

Edited by poole Harbour

I have both use 17hmr for rabbits , don't like to use 17/20 grain bullets on foxes just not enough hitting power for comfort that it will be dead . 223 with a 55grain soft point does the job .

The 223 will be quite a bit louder even with a good mod on the end . The 243 would do a wider range of shooting although some forces will not approve for vermin control , too big a calibre

I note the comment about having the armed response out , Dorset police operate a reporting log which you call up before you go out and tll them what guns you are shooting . the location and the times you will be out . Then if they get any calls they will not need to send out the heavy squad . Always worth doing this if your force operate that system .

With regards cost of ammo I'm buying .17hmr at around 20 per 100 & .223 at 36 per hundred .

£36 per hundred ? :oops: because I saw £18 for 20 and Weejohn gets 20 22-250 for £24. Do you mean £36 per 40 ? hehe, simple mistake to make :oops: or is it really that cheap for you ? lol :)

My HMR has a ultra mod and my 223 has a T8ar and there is not a lot of difference in them...

The fact i load my own for the 223 might have something to do with it..

I was out a couple of nights ago with Kdubya shooting rabbits i was using both and he commented on the fact there was not much difference..

Hi Bigthug ,

not a mistake I bought 250 x 223 privi 55g soft point at 36 per 100 from a RFD in Weymouth also bought some 270 at 40 per 100 . I know it was a very good price . I do reload but at that price you can't complain . Also Privi is under rated ammo it is as good as more exspensive brands but at the end of the day it is as good as the guy pulling the trigger !

Also on another thread i posted about Ladds in Exeter who also sell privi and another member pointed out he bought 243 privi from them at 11 per 20 .

sometimes I am surprised at the big price differential on ammo and other shooting supplies around the country and the dividends that can be had by shopping around and also swapping on good resources ,

Happy Shooting

As for noise of the 223,its immense,after being ridiculed by my shooting friend earlier in the year about me aquiring a pop gun compared to his 243 and 270,on our first out ,with me still awaiting the arrival of my moderator,I proceeded to drop a fox at 130yds whilst my friend was covering the shot.

After droppin the fox I heard him fire a split second after me and in questioning him why he had fired,he responded with the fact that the 223 was that loud it frightened him and in jumping he squeezed his trigger,funny the reference to a pop gun has never resurfaced.

Now its silenced with a T8 wildcat its quieter than a .22 firing high velocity rounds through a standard parker hale silencer,as for effectiveness of the round ,if you want to see what a carcase looks like when someone has carried out an autopsy on it,just put 55grs of FMJBT into it,they dont get up from this round even at 200yds. :good:

As for noise of the 223,its immense,after being ridiculed by my shooting friend earlier in the year about me aquiring a pop gun compared to his 243 and 270,on our first out ,with me still awaiting the arrival of my moderator,I proceeded to drop a fox at 130yds whilst my friend was covering the shot.

After droppin the fox I heard him fire a split second after me and in questioning him why he had fired,he responded with the fact that the 223 was that loud it frightened him and in jumping he squeezed his trigger,funny the reference to a pop gun has never resurfaced.

Now its silenced with a T8 wildcat its quieter than a .22 firing high velocity rounds through a standard parker hale silencer,as for effectiveness of the round ,if you want to see what a carcase looks like when someone has carried out an autopsy on it,just put 55grs of FMJBT into it,they dont get up from this round even at 200yds. :rolleyes:

you shoot foxs with full metal jacket, my rfd said i would get drawn and quartered if i shot vermin with fmj as they normally go straight through and don't kill, to much bullet he said. suppose opinuns very, did it do more damage then a ballistic tip. :good: