where to keep shotgun cabinet

00taz11

Has to be inside your house or an attached brick garage. Either of which must have adequate security on windows and doors (Five lever deadlock security on doors and the usual locks on any windows. The cabinet should also be out of site of anyone visiting your premises on a casual basis - Ie you don't want to advertise to the window cleaner (no suggestion intended) etc that you have firearms.

Don't forget you can always put it in your loft space or celler if you are struglling for 'out of sight' positions.

Also don't foget that the cabinet has to be secured to a suitable wall using special fixings (M10 Rawl type bolts which require 16mm holes).

You can find out more about firearms/shotgun security on most police web pages - I can recommend Herts Police website it has all the info you need with links to home office regs etc. Faling that search google for home office and gun security.

On a last note don't forget that as an absoulte last resort - most clay clubs will store shotguns for you if you are a member.

Mike

Provided its out of public and casual visitors view-it can go practically anywhere.Just make sure its firmly anchored to a brick wall using rawl bolts with no gaps behind (you'll need to chop out a section of skirting).

I just put on question 17-Locked in cabinet to BS standard which will be suitably fixed to brick wall in spare bedroom.

what does bs stand for and the question asks give details of the location at which the shotguns concerned are to be stored including details of any certificate holder sharing the storage facilities

BS (British Standard)

If no one else is going to have access to your cabinet put you just need to put that no one else will have access to it other than yourself

"The shotguns will be stored in a BS gun cabinet, in which the cabinet will be securely fixed to a solid brick wall within a cupboard out of view. No one else will have access to Cabinet"

BS is 'british standard'. MAte really take a look on line at the Home Office Regs it will clear all of this up for you. From what you have said I would answer with the address at which you intend to keep the shotgun. (I distinctly remeber putting my home address and a local clay club which is where the latter question comes in). I am sure you can work it out by now from all the answers given. As a last reort why not phone your firearms licencing officer tomorrow and ask them - That way you can be certain you are not wasting your time.

-Locked in cabinet to BS standard which will be suitably fixed to brick wall in spare bedroom.

Putting a cabinet in a spare bedroom (2nd floor), viewable from the window (from a house at the same level, 2nd floor) is that an okay place to put it?

:yes:

I just put "In an approved gun cabinet, location to be decided with the FAO during his visit".

There'd been some talk on here that they don't like them in attics as people might not bother putting

them away but my FAO said he preferred it up there out of sight.

We've only got a pull down ladder but it's not much hassle getting up and down.

Nial.

when i went for my one i only put the address nothing else i even got my licence with out getting a cabinet because i had no intentions of getting a gun for a while when i got a cabinet i bolted it in the wardrobe then i phone the office and then the fao came round no probs.

Putting a cabinet in a spare bedroom (2nd floor), viewable from the window (from a house at the same level, 2nd floor) is that an okay place to put it?

:yes:

not in my part of the country. It has to be bolted to a brickwall( one of your outer walls, which in a semi you have 3, a detatched you have 4)

Also when I filled out my application, it had provision for a diagram of it's position in the house

not in my part of the country. It has to be bolted to a brickwall( one of your outer walls, which in a semi you have 3, a detatched you have 4)

Also when I filled out my application, it had provision for a diagram of it's position in the house

Thanks, I knew it had to be a brick wall, was not aware it should be an 'outer brick wall'. I waill ask the police chap when he comes for a chat, before I fit - probably best :yes:

Thanks.

Thanks, I knew it had to be a brick wall, was not aware it should be an 'outer brick wall'. I waill ask the police chap when he comes for a chat, before I fit - probably best :yes:

Thanks.

The reason an outside wall is preferable is often internal walls are made from soft thermal block or nowadays they're just plasterboard which has no strength whatsoever.External walls are usually contructed with either concrete block or conventional brick-which rawlbolts can really lock into.

The reason an outside wall is preferable is often internal walls are made from soft thermal block or nowadays they're just plasterboard which has no strength whatsoever.External walls are usually contructed with either concrete block or conventional brick-which rawlbolts can really lock into.

Oh right, all my internal walls are solid brick not stud, I can see where you're coming from on the modern house designs though. Most of the walls are made of paper :yes:

Jon

On my application I put

"The shotguns will be stored in a BS gun cabinet, in which the cabinet will be securly fixed to a solid brick wall within a cupboard out of view"

You dont have to right a whole paragraph,

That's almost exactly what I wrote on mine.

"Situated in a cupboard under the stairs in a corner and secured to brick wall."

When the FA officer came and checked it out, he said it was perfect and an ideal place

Cheers

Edited by Santlache

That's almost exactly what I wrote on mine.

"Situated in a cupboard under the stairs in a corner and secured to brick wall."

When the FA officer came and checked it out, he said it was perfect and an ideal place

Cheers

Well I got the FEO coming round at 2pm and I will see what he says.

You only need to put your address, thats all...

Had a discussion about gun safes last week at the clay ground one chap stated

there was nothing in the home office guide lines that stated you must have a safe.

Just that the guns must be kept safe and secure???

Never bothered to go and check his statement out..

:D:lol: :lol: