.50 bmg?

why on earth do civilians use this cal??

eney way my dad tryin to get back in to long range targets (god nows why?!)

on his cert would it only be able to use at a range or could land be passed?

these are just questions so no need to go all hard core on me

stuart

• 2 weeks later...

I think the lapua is the only one out of 338, 408 and the 50 that you can buy expanding hunting rounds for, I think the 408 was deisigned as a military long range anti-personel weapon, the rifles in this caliber are also quite expensive and ammo is mhoosively hard to find, the 50 is the way to go, or 338 lapua in the states you can also fire AP or incendiery rounds :hmm:

Steve

I don't get all the hype...!

A friend of mine who was in the army came back with all these 'fascinating facts' about being a "military sniper" and the biggest load of c**p he came back with, which he wont stand down from is:

"The 50 bmg is banned in Europe under the Geneva Convention, because of the danger of the bullet as it travels through the air - more specifically, if you miss your target by an inch or two (say a human head) the air pressure the bullet creates is enough to suck the skin off your face and kill you anyway."

I mean, the amount of times I've tried to explain that it's just impossible, but he just wont buy it.

Hence my reason for just not being that interested!

EDIT - However this video might be of interest to those wanting to shoot one http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=0ABGIJwiGBc

Edited by harfordwmj

"The 50 bmg is banned in Europe under the Geneva Convention, because of the danger of the bullet as it travels through the air - more specifically, if you miss your target by an inch or two (say a human head) the air pressure the bullet creates is enough to suck the skin off your face and kill you anyway."

No its true!

images-3.jpg

the ammo for the .408 is virtually unobtainable so don't bother with that one. The .338 is far more friendly on the pocket but the .50 has just got that certain aura about it that make you want one. Ranges are limited in the UK so really you need to be a member of http://www.fcsa.co.uk/ as you will struggle otherwise. A member is currently working on manufacturing bullet heads for the .50 so when done the reloads should be around £1 when done. Get your dad to have a chat with John Masefield and he will answer all his questions, but warn him before hand that he will be on the blower for a long while :hmm: as john can talk for England.

the ammo for the .408 is virtually unobtainable so don't bother with that one. The .338 is far more friendly on the pocket but the .50 has just got that certain aura about it that make you want one. Ranges are limited in the UK so really you need to be a member of http://www.fcsa.co.uk/ as you will struggle otherwise. A member is currently working on manufacturing bullet heads for the .50 so when done the reloads should be around £1 when done. Get your dad to have a chat with John Masefield and he will answer all his questions, but warn him before hand that he will be on the blower for a long while :yes: as john can talk for England.

Some of the best words spoken on this board in a while....

I also shoot with the FCSA and it's certainly good fun. I couldn't afford to run a .50 (still got a few .50 A-MAX's left if anyone wants them...) so have stuck with the 'diminutive' .338LM. Sako TRG can be picked up for around £1,400, now they can't be shot at Bisley. Once homeloading, its around £1 a pop. So not that different to good .308 or .243 factory ammo. While the .50's are fun, at £3 or so a pop with tracer/spotter £4-5 it certainly eats the money. Plus there are so few places in this country where a .338 can be beaten by a .50, apart from the 'grin factor'! There are alot of urban myths around the big fifty, but really their no different to any other centrefire round, just a bit bigger! Come along to a FCSA shoot and have a play....

As an aside, any more news about the bullets being made in Wales??