Why do some rape fields get hammered and others left untouched?

James Dixey

Its unlikely to be anything to do with the soil, or preparation, although birds do leave fields alone for a few days, after they have been sprayed.

Pigeons like sheltered fields and its normally those that are in the lea of south west winds that get well favoured.

Fields on flight lines, with water nearby, bounded by hedges and/or trees, all these seem to be factors as well.

If we understood every thingabout pigeons then they would have been shot into extinction many ,many years ago . Pigeons are gregarious and like to follow each other around and like to dine together . Perhaps they have a chief pigeon who decides were they will dine for the day . I can remember one old country boy who reconed that pigeons had scouts that would find the food and report back to the flock and show them were to feed . May be just maybe they are more complex than we could imagine .

Just one small interesting point about pigeons is that in 50 years of observing and shooting woodys i can only think of a couple of times that i have seen them fighting . most birds squabble a lot , not woodys , could this be a sign of a more organised society . Harnser .

Harnser , I suspect you do not see them fighting because out in the field they are very wary about drawing attention to themselves and if they have the slightest inkling anyones about they behave themselves. In my garden where they are used to people they are always scrapping. Sometimes falling from branch to branch as they fight. Last spring I saw my retriever standing open mouthed under a fir tree as 2 fighting males fell from branch to branch , in the hope one would fall into her mouth.

the pigeons on rape. they are driving me insane.

there are 4 fields i shoot. all rape. the 5th field also has rape but its next to the motorway thats the one that i cannot shoot, but thats the one where all the little ******* feed. there is 2 spinning scarers on it and a gas gun but they still sit there with all the noise of cars and lorries going by. (how frustrating)

Harnser , I suspect you do not see them fighting because out in the field they are very wary about drawing attention to themselves and if they have the slightest inkling anyones about they behave themselves. In my garden where they are used to people they are always scrapping. Sometimes falling from branch to branch as they fight. Last spring I saw my retriever standing open mouthed under a fir tree as 2 fighting males fell from branch to branch , in the hope one would fall into her mouth.

I suspect you need to learn the difference between fighting and *******! :sly:

• 2 weeks later...