COUNTRY COVER LTD

Dear All,

Take care, read the wording of the policy. As I see it this is pretty much an insurance only product with no other support or help for the shooter.

Also, it has a clause in the wording that says this policy will not pay out if any other liability policy is in place.

So, if you have home insurance for example and like almost all home insurance policies it has public liability cover included, then if you make a claim the CCC3 policy will refer the claim to your home insurance…so what have you paid for exactly?

No point being double insured on Public Liability as you can only claim once, so before you rush off to buy another insurance policy you would do well to check what you are already covered for under other policies- no point spending money on a policy that will not pay out!

But remember as has been widely discussed before on this forum don’t just buy insurance- Surely it is much better to join an association that will stand up for you and your sport, there are plenty to choose from and all offer insurance and several offer a higher level of public liability and personal accident cover insurance than these guys.

David

Dear All,

Take care, read the wording of the policy. As I see it this is pretty much an insurance only product with no other support or help for the shooter.

Also, it has a clause in the wording that says this policy will not pay out if any other liability policy is in place.

So, if you have home insurance for example and like almost all home insurance policies it has public liability cover included, then if you make a claim the CCC3 policy will refer the claim to your home insurance…so what have you paid for exactly?

No point being double insured on Public Liability as you can only claim once, so before you rush off to buy another insurance policy you would do well to check what you are already covered for under other policies- no point spending money on a policy that will not pay out!

But remember as has been widely discussed before on this forum don’t just buy insurance- Surely it is much better to join an association that will stand up for you and your sport, there are plenty to choose from and all offer insurance and several offer a higher level of public liability and personal accident cover insurance than these guys.

David

you forgot to mention that country cover card wont send you a begging letter for forty quid though! not to one sided this write up, eh david?

the truth is its ultimatlely small companies like this springing up that will offer fair competition against the larger organisations £19.95 or £60 I know what I will be going with

you are picking points with this policy but im sure if you put the cpsa insurance next to yours it will come out with as many plus points for a cheaper price! do you really want to go into the realms of comparing insurances? basc insurance is ok but nothing special in the grand scheme of things

Lets see if the country card will tackle your firearms section should you ever need it or lobby parliament so you can continue in your sport or fight the changes to the animal welfare act.

To be honest I looked at the website and thought it was a con. A very unprofessional image for something that you may one day rely on.

And CPSA cheaper? where did you get that from?

I pay less for my BASC cover and membership than I do for the CPSA

Edited by MC

Dear All,

David

I actually thought that this was a very useful response. Especially if someone was new or unsure about the insurance side of shooting.

:good:

small companies like this springing up that will offer fair competition against the larger organisations £19.95 or £60 I know what I will be going with

Once again Andovian makes the fatal mistake of imagining that the BASC subscription is for insurance. The BASC subscription is firstly to provide an organisation that promotes and protects shooting sports. Secondly, it provides members with a huge range of exceptionally valuable services, especially if they have problems with FAC or Shotgun Certificate renewals, or have an interest in gamekeeping, vermin control, wildfowling, deer stalking, airguns or roughshooting. Thirdly, it publishes a number of free magazines which are worth a lot more than the insurance. On top of that the insurance package is a bonus. It actually costs far less than the £19.95 quoted by this commercial company.

So yes - if you simply want a cheapo insurance package and have absolutely no interest whatsoever in the future of your sport, I suppose one of those packages might seem like a good idea.

The dilema here is do you join the BASC as a company set up to support the sport for the free insurance or do you join for the insurance and the rest is irrelevant but nice to think of.

To me if you want insurance then it sounds like a good idea and the exclusion David added I believe you'll find on pretty much every insurance policy you have so I wouldn't worry too much about that. To me in the financial climate we're in companies like this add a bit of consumer choice into the market place.

Once again Andovian makes the fatal mistake of imagining that the BASC subscription is for insurance. The BASC subscription is firstly to provide an organisation that promotes and protects shooting sports. Secondly, it provides members with a huge range of exceptionally valuable services, especially if they have problems with FAC or Shotgun Certificate renewals, or have an interest in gamekeeping, vermin control, wildfowling, deer stalking, airguns or roughshooting. Thirdly, it publishes a number of free magazines which are worth a lot more than the insurance. On top of that the insurance package is a bonus. It actually costs far less than the £19.95 quoted by this commercial company.

So yes - if you simply want a cheapo insurance package and have absolutely no interest whatsoever in the future of your sport, I suppose one of those packages might seem like a good idea.

eric I have been shooting for many years even longer than yourself in fact and I am under no illusion as to what the basc offers

You make the fatal mistake of saying that unless you join basc shooting will be ultimatly be banned as basc are the only organisation that can fight the shooters corner! For shooters that simply want insurace country cover card is fine and yes if you join the basc you get a lot of other additions as well as the insurance! the thing is basc dont do an insurance only policy so therefore you have to buy the whole package whether you want to or not so what I am simply trying to say is there is nothing wrong with the country cover card scheme and I found the comments by david basc one sided as he sees this as competition for the basc who have left themselves vunerable after their recent cock up

What relevance is the ammount of time you have been shooting? The fact of the matter is that if we all left BASC and bought the countrycard we would make one man very rich for a few years and then BASC would not exist.

The antis and the other tree huggers would then have an easy route into having shooting banned. We then would not need any shooting insurance anyway. Or the police could impose whatever restrictions they wanted to and there would be no one there to give you the advice and support you needed or fight your corner if necessary.

With reference to another thread it really does seem like the Anti BASC bridage have been rallying their troops to post on here.

It is only your opinion that BASC have made a cock up, I for one think that the timing could have been better but launching an appeal to build the media centre was the right thing to do.

The could have upped the subscription by a tenner to give you something else to crow about.

My point is, and as I have said so many items before:

1. All the shooting organizations are more than insurance- check out what they do and what they can deliver then support the one(s) you think will do the best job.

2. When it comes to insurance- any insurance- read the terms & conditions, make sure you are buying what you need- don't be taken in by cut price deals and 'too good to be true' offers.

3. The clause about not paying if any other liability policy is in place is not as common as you think, there are clauses in many polices that says the underwriter reserves the right to mitigate if other policies exist, but in essence this policy clearly suggests, as i read it, if another policy exists we take you cash and walk away- OK in the current climate I accept people will want to shop around- fine - but why pay for something you do not need? Defeats the object of shopping around doesn't it?

I thank David of BASC for his guidance to Forum members.

He is perfectly correct in his observations, CCC3 is designed to offer its members Rewards, benefits and privileges in the countryside through its trade members such as my online store, shooting clubs and other products, and to provide insurance cover as a further benefit.

It is normal with insurance polices that there is a clause that deals with the duplication of insurance, and CCC3 is no different in this from travel insurance under a Credit Card or similar - it simply says that if other cover exists that the CCC3 policy is secondary to any other existing insurance. If there is no other insurance or it fails to perform in a claim, any claim under the CCC3 policy will become primary and perform subject to the policy terms and contract with the member.

CCC3 is underwritten by ETI Insurance, a very major player in the Travel Insurance market, based in Munich and with offices in the UK. The insurance group also owns such household names as DAS legal cover. As with any insurance, claims are dealt with by an appointed FSA broker and a loss adjuster appointed to see that policy terms are complied with and claims are paid in accordance with the policy that forms a contract between the member of the scheme and the underwriters. The full ombudsmen service is available in the normal way should a dispute arise.

As a member of both BASC and CPSA myself, I fully support the extra lobby that larger associations offer, but the CCC3 scheme seeks to fill the gap of 100,000s of persons who are presently un-insured in the countryside, who either do not wish to support the main organistaions or do not have the financial resources to pay the fees of the alternative associations. My retail unit already offers the alternative of CPSA insurance and did ask BASC if it could resell BASC membership as well, but this was not a facility BASC choose to offer so I can only provide a link for persons to research for themselves and join directly if they do want the additional facilities BASC undoubtedly offer.

My product simply responds to a well researched demand of quality Country Sports insurance, at low cost, delivered by a web interface in order to keep costs minimal.

The difficulty with Household policies etc is that the scope of cover is general, rather than specific to the sports activities noted in the CCC3 policy, and many persons may find that assumed cover does not exist in the specific circumstances of a given situation under general policies - while the precise scope and limits of the CCC3 policy are clearly defined and the Certificate holder, and anyone who wishes to confirm cover exists, can easily be clear on the cover provided. A household policy does not, for instance, provide the holder with a certificate they can show land owners or event organisers to confirm insurance.

PL insurance while involved in Country Sports is important to the country community, and as one of the founders of CCC3 I very much hope that our product will fill a large market gap and help make the countryside a better and safer place to be for all concerned.

Regards

Jerry Parks Young, director Country Cover Ltd.

What have I started here....

I take it CCC3 is not a scam then. I kind of got the 'too good to be true' feeling when I saw the advert. With regard to the main players, I guess at the end of the day BASC etc must realise that they are in a business market, whether they like it or not and companies like CCC3 are bound to look for entrepreneurial ways of entering this almost monopolistic market.

I have read the responses from members and thank them for the advice. As such I am in the market for shooting insurance, no bells - no whistles, and I find it difficult to believe that the government (especially the way it’s heading) would have the time nor the inclination to attack the shooting fraternity. I’m sure someone will quote some historic episode, or rant about hounds and foxes, to counter this comment but to me I would rather spend the money on kit. My apologies to BASC as they do, without doubt, have an excellent organisation but with cost an ever labouring concern I can see a lot more people taking out ‘insurance only’ packages to save money.

Jerry,

Thank you for clarifying the cover you provide.

Unfortunately no one can 'resell' BASC membership as we are governed by FSA regulations, if anyone is interested in finding out the detail as to why this stops others selling BASC membership please let me know by PM and I will explain - but I do not want to block this important thread with boring details of insurance legislation!

al4X- it is not uncommon for a person to be double insured, indeed aprox 25,000 CA members are shooters and a good proportion of those will also be BASC members.

Now lets work your example through, what would happen is that the member involved would typically refer the claim to BASC or CA. I cannot say for sure how the CA claims team would handle this, but in BASC's case, we would take the claim on and start to deal with it so that the third party gets their claim settles as quickly as possible.

If it was found that the members was also a CA member then we would contact the CA's underwriters and ask them if they would make a contribution to the costs. This does happen from time to time but not very often.