Just Curious

pavman

I normally look at the subject heading and if I am interested look at the thread and contribute on merit etc, however there are many posts on PW that seem to have lots of views without many replies and also some members seem to confine their posting to just a few other members posts, perhaps they feel more comfortable in this posting with friends etc, and or perhaps we are all missing out on a wider view point due to the silent masses, if the subject prompted you to take a look what stops you posting a reply :good:

Like I said just curious

i have wondered that too Pav. Initially i was looking for guidance and shooting but as I came to understnad the site then I saw it would be better for me to meet people, get known and contribute which will hopefully lead to me building up contacts and getting out there. Also I do look at interesting threads. there is alot on here that is beyond what i know so it is good to have a read.

N

I remember putting up a thread once, it was about an old old Baikal rifle I was zeroing for a mates dad. Obviously, I found it all very interesting, it was about a thousand years old, pre-agricultural looking and the unbranded scope (could have had a broken crosshair I can't remember now) was only held by three screws, two of which had the heads rounded. Shot better than my own! It got a ton of views and no comment. I thought that really odd, but that's people for you.

I won't reply to a thread if I've nothing to ask or nothing new to say. Though saying that I'd be more inclined to reply if it was a thread by someone who I know well, or respect a lot. And if it is a thread by someone who I know has a shed load of useful information locked inside their head, you can be very sure I'll reply!

So I suppose I take a combination of the heading and the OP to decide to look or keep on going. I think I'm at a stage now where I prefer how to and why threads rather than I done threads. Not to say I don't read the I done threads as people do things differently and things can be learned, but I do find the how would I put it, more theoretical threads grabbing my attention better.

There are a few on here, still on, who used to post more and I miss their posts. There are also, I think, a lot less rifle threads about.

Edited by JohnGalway

I read the thread, clicked away, then thought if ever there was a thread worth replying to, it's this.

First of all, I'm new to PW and new to shot gun shooting.

Primarily, I want information. I hoover-up knowledge on decoying. I look to learn from other's experience and mistakes in all shooting matters. I'm interested in how people got their permissions. I keep half an eye on whether there's any shooting going on near me.

My experience of shooting is a couple of seasons beating on a rough syndicate, and about a year on the clays, on and off. With the occasional go at pigeons (not at the clay grounds!). And I went lamping for the first time, recently. And am looking to lamp about once a week from now on.

So, I generally don't have an awful lot to add to most threads. But when I do, I chip in. That means that I read an awful lot more threads than I post on.

I don't look at posts with pictures attached and headings along the lines of:-

"Last nights outing"

"Lots of foxes"

"Lots of rabbits"

"Out last night"

"Fox pics (Graphic)"

"Fox v .223"

I've seen more than my share of shot vermin and over the years I've come to the conclusion....They all look the same!!!

Edited by Browning

"Last nights outing"

"Lots of foxes"

"Lots of rabbits"

"Out last night"

"Fox pics (Graphic)"

"Fox v .223"

I've seen more than my share of shot vermin and over the years I've come to the conclusion....They all look the same!!!

:good:

"Last nights outing"

"Lots of foxes"

"Lots of rabbits"

"Out last night"

"Fox pics (Graphic)"

"Fox v .223"

I no what you mean ,but its a shame as there is often some good write ups with those picture's :good:

what stops you posting a reply :yes:

Anything to do with shooting organisations

Talk about Yawn aahhh time for bed :yes:

It is curious what gets jumped on, problem rifles get masses of attention, but then so do threads about sheds :good:

A picture of a dead fox or a heap of 200 dead birds doesn't make much of a post, but the story of how it was achieved does

Like a couple of others above have said, I too am fairly new to shooting so I tend to read nearly every post to gather as much info as possible. I don't reply to many as I don't usually have anything to say. When I do it tends to be off topic posts with engineering type subjects.

HW682

Arguments, about anything. There is always quality entertainment from people arguing on here.

I especially like the "That's it I am not coming back" posts - they crease me up ! :good::)

Gutted wasn't the word when the Flashman Vs Elvis thread got closed. That had legs in it, i was going to suggest toe to toe one slug each.