Intelligent Women

Jess

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

DD I have no problem with people who are dyslexic, they have always existed and it is a recognised problem that is no fault of their own.

Can you explain why the older members on this forum can usually spot a younger poster's age by his spelling ability or more to the point the lack of it or is dyslexia a disease that is age related?

The thing that makes me mad is when I read the posts of our young German member and his ability in the use of the English language puts the majority of us on here to shame.

Or hasn't dyslexia spread to foreign countries yet?

Depends where you are from I suppose. No doubt if you are from the south of the country, where the people speak more like the Queen, with a higher percentage in private schooling etc. I would suggest that the majority of people can write and spell properly on here, it's the lack of need to as it isn't being marked, although many members feel the need to criticise these people.

Some people are not as clever as others, and no amount of schooling or reprimanding about spelling will alleviate that problem. I guess we should learn to love the comical spelling of Aled et al and talk about the subject at hand - shooting. :lol:

"Youngsters today have a different way of speaking today mate".

I think that statement (if you can understand it), only applies to a lazy few.

The majority of the young people I know, can speak, spell and write properly.

yes.. all of that 'Text Talk'... so lame.. always get text messages from girls saying like 'hi, wt u don?" supposed to mean "Hello, What are you doing?"

i dont understand it :lol: i just write in full...

i have also been reading Hubertus' reply's when he messages.. puts me to shame and many others on here.. but i couldnt speak english till i was 4 anyway :lol:

and because of school i've lost my welsh almost completley.. now im lost with English and Welsh :lol: .. i blame school. :lol:

Aled

Is spelling a sign of intelligence??

Deffinition:

:lol:

There's an old saying "education begins at school". You don't switch off once you leave school at night. You can pick up a lot of spelling by taking note of various literature and information you come across all the time.

i can see where your coming from Jess... laugh.gif

the missus is proberly less intelligent than me.. in almost everyway... laugh.gif

but she can cook, so i'm not worried about the future laugh.gif

it all depends on what you mean by Intelligence Jess...

i being read alot about War's and people involved in War's would know alot more about the subject of 'War' than you proberly would.. and then if you were on about Parrot's i wouldnt have a clue..

or do you mean general intelligance?

Aled

Competition - how many errors has Aled made in the above post? I make it 17, which gives an average error rate of 18%!

:lol:

I'll probably get yelled at for saying this, but the one thing that has annoyed me about this forum since i've been here is the way people seem to find it fun to criticise Aled. I know he makes some spelling mistakes, and admittedly some of his comments are, um, humourous ( :lol: ) but i really dont think it's fair to point out every mistake he makes each time he posts. I know he doesn't say anything but if someone was doing it to me id find it quite hurtful.

Im not just talking about this thread, but theres plenty of examples in here. Just give him break for once please?!!

Jess

Millomite, I am from the South of the Country, but the youngsters I am speaking about don't go to private schools and are not in Colleges.

I appreciate that some people are less capable than others, but they should at least try.

I am certainly not singling Aled out for criticism.

"talk about the subject at hand - shooting. "

This has been raised in the General Banter Forum, where anything is discussed.

Millomite, I am from the South of the Country, but the youngsters I am speaking about don't go to private schools and are not in Colleges.

I appreciate that some people are less capable than others, but they should at least try.

I am certainly not singling Aled out for criticism.

"talk about the subject at hand - shooting. "

This has been raised in the General Banter Forum, where anything is discussed.

How do you suggest they try mate? Unless they check any word with a dictionary before they post it if they do not know how to spell it, or type it in Word and then paste it into here. It would completely ridiculous to expect anyone to go through that rigamaraul before they posted.

It's not as if they are being abusive, or even trying to upset members, they just aren't able to spell as well as the majority.

As far as the general banter point goes, Aled et al are criticised for their use of spelling and grammar in other forums other than this one, not the single place. At the end of the day, we are all here to talk about the one thing we enjoy, criticising fellow members because they are unable to spell as well as the rest is likely to put members off (see my member retention post). In a time when all country sports need a voice, regardless of how accurate that voice can spell, every member is vital.

I am not climbing on my high horse, just pointing out that I think members should be a little more tolerant to the shortcomings of others. As has been mentioned, people will find it hurtful, and not post as much as they would like. Bantering between members is one thing, but going so far as to continually upset members is another.

To assist spelling, use a spellchecker like http://www.iespell.com/download.php , its free to download and easy to use.

Its not just the spelling, but the type of posts.

Just thinking before posting, about the subject, content and formation of the post, this would help others understand it.

Avoid posting brief comments like, "good idea mate", or "sounds fun mate".

This is a Forum, not a chat room.

You really have to sieve through loads of rubbish on this Forum lately, to find anything worth reading.

Thats why we are losing good Members.

What I mean TLE, is that Aled is quick to criticise and give an opinion, but is far from perfect himself.

Not intended to be offensive HG ,just the little fella does kill me sometimes :lol: ,I know spelling's not his strong point (mine either ) but he kind of grows on you ,it would seem Napier is worse .

Martin

:lol::lol::lol: WELL DONE JESS........you`ve just shown how easy it is to distract men,the majority of posts were just mud slinging.....IT`S ABOUT INTELLIGENT WOMEN.Thank you ,Jess,for asking ,no my wife is far from intelligent,she will even say so herself ! However she is the most warm and enchanting little minx I have ever met and thats why I love her dearly( cue lots of posts :lol: :o :P )

the way people seem to find it fun to criticise Aled

It's not criticism, it's the apprentice system. You take a new apprentice and grind it down in to a squishy mess on the floor which is convinced it knows absolutely nothing. You then have a clean slate which is prepared to learn instead of showing off and smart mouthing you all the time. It's the only way to progress the lad :D

the way people seem to find it fun to criticise Aled

It's not criticism, it's the apprentice system. You take a new apprentice and grind it down in to a squishy mess on the floor which is convinced it knows absolutely nothing. You then have a clean slate which is prepared to learn instead of showing off and smart mouthing you all the time. It's the only way to progress the lad :D

Uh-huh... im sure it is. Would you like someone doing that to you then? Just give him a break, you all put him down and i dont see why. I've never seen him saying anything offensive or unkind to anyone else so why do you feel that you have the right to do it to him?

Would you like someone doing that to you then?

I'm not doing it to him, heaven forbid, and it can't happen to me because I am completely immune. There is nothing anyone can throw at me which I haven't ducked 20 times before, aged 53 I have moved on to the final stage of life. Pedantic old ***.

As a POD it behoves me to use words like behove and tell enormous truths to the Aleds of this world, safe in the knowlege that they can't possibly understand :D