.270 moderator options

Big Stu

Hi after a new mod for my .270 remington mountain lss any suggestions would be wellcome apart from t8's as the one i own is now full of rust holes after 3 years hard use even though i have sprayed with wd regular,

i am after a mod that can be taken off after each outing with out the need to re zero rifle witch i must admit the t8 could not be faulted on,

been looking at

a-tec,

predator 8/12

or pes t12 any info on these or other makes would be great thanks.

Edited by Big Stu

I have used a pes 12 on a .270 sako for 3 years with no problems yet. Bit long and heavy, but not a problem off sticks and does a good job. Not many people seem to do sleeves for the pes, but a roll of black vet tape costs peanuts and works well. I always take it off to clean & store; no problem with the zero.

Stu,

I had the same problem with the T8 on my .270, it lasted 18 months.

I now have an A-Tec and find the moderation just as good as the T8, and the repeatability after removal

and refitting is spot on, no zero shift at all.

I like the A-Tec mod so much I now have one on each of my three rifles.

The downside with the ATEC is that the "lightweight" baffles get gas cut in 50 rounds and they dont actually do much silencing. Oh and that is when they are not somewhat embarrasingly coming unscrewed.

I dont want to name him but I know a man who feels somewhat dissapointed with his.

I haven't had either of those issues with any of my A-Tec mods, and the one on my .243 has had in excess of 2000 rounds through it.

Also, having shot my.270 with a T8 and with an A-Tec, I can guarantee that the sound moderating capability of the A-Tec is just as

good as the T8.

I use a PES t12 scout on my Sako .270, they are a good bit shorter than the normal T12 and as such better handling I think.

I had a standard T12 first and then changed to the scout after using one on my 6.5x55, the moderation of sound it just as good :hmm::hmm:

Re the question of recoil on a moderated .270, I find it a whole lot more pleasant to shoot. Makes it much more like the smaller centrefires to use and easier to see what happens after the shot. I suppose you could get the same effect by buying a heavier rifle, but I would not shoot it unmoderated if given the choice. Weight not an issue really as I seldom shoot freehand.

I have a predator 8 and it's very good. I wouldn't bother with a 12 baffle mod for a .270, you don't need it. You may get a bit more sound reduction, but the cost in weight far outweighs the gains IMO! I find my rifle pretty barrel heavy with the Predator 8 on as it spoils the feel of it, and the predator is pretty light!

• 2 months later...

I thought I'd dredge this topic up, with a .270 and a .22-250 due to arrive shortly. The (as yet unthreaded) .270 will be used in woodland and for occasional foxing. It seems a shame to marr what is a beautiful rifle with a moderator, but my damaged hearing dictates it.

Overall length is quite critical, which rules out the PES T12. I'm thinking either a T12 Scout, an S5 or that new ASE UTRA that Blackbart has been raving on about. I'm not going down the A-Tec or Predator route.

I thought I'd dredge this topic up, with a .270 and a .22-250 due to arrive shortly. The (as yet unthreaded) .270 will be used in woodland and for occasional foxing. It seems a shame to marr what is a beautiful rifle with a moderator, but my damaged hearing dictates it.

Overall length is quite critical, which rules out the PES T12. I'm thinking either a T12 Scout, an S5 or that new ASE UTRA that Blackbart has been raving on about. I'm not going down the A-Tec or Predator route.

Hi Baldrick,

If you want to try out my .270 wearing a T12 scout drop me a pm.

I get over your way pretty regular for stalking etc...

Here it is;

DSC_0098.jpg

ATB

Moses

Thanks for the offer, Moses, but I'm trying out a PES T12 tomorrow. Is that a full-length T12 on your (stunning) Sako?

Thats a T12 scout, here's a picture in profile of the one on my 6.5 to give you a better idea;

DSC01325.jpg

ATB

Moses

Baldrick ,

Dont spoil the look of a loverly rifle by screwing a dustbin on the end . The .270 dos bark a bit but nothing a set of electronic ear defenders wont quiten down . I stalk all the time wearing ear defenders ,not because i am worried about my hearing being damaged that was done years ago ,but because the electronics enhance my hearing and give me back the bit that i have lost . Any body reading this never ever shoot any gun without hearing protection .

Harnser .

I do take your point, Harnser, particularly as the Sako L691 that I am buying is a classically elegant rifle. I always wear Peltor SportTac ear defenders, and as you say, the gain is very helpful. I am quite reticent about having the .270 threaded, but I can have a seamless thread cap made up for when a mod isn't necessary on the hill. It's an option I'd rather have, than not have, principally as I do quite a lot of fox control.

Stuart, thanks for the warning about the PES.

Hi Baldrick

Re the strippability of a T12, mine unscrews to get the over barrel bit out, but I cant see how you could get the baffles out of the front section. I just spray the inaccessable bit with WD40 & drain, then put up with a cloud of smoke after the first shot next time it is fired. I'm told that this is all that is needed as it is stainless.

Not sure I would ever want to use my Sako without a mod now as it really tames the calibre, and mine alters the zero by about 3" @7 o clock if I shoot without it.

I had a PES 12 overbarrel on my 243 and had nothing but trouble, when hot it would refuse to unscrew off the barrel. The barrel would end up two very different tempetures V hot under the mod but cold to touch on parts you could see. The mod would also started to unscrew its self as for cleaning while firing!!

I never managed to zero the rifle as the hot barrel zero was different to the cold barrel group, the first 3 rounds would be touching and after that anywhere in a 3-4" hole.

I am changing to an ASE end of barrel mod after getting a perfect zero with no mod fitted.

I had a PES 12 overbarrel on my 243 and had nothing but trouble, when hot it would refuse to unscrew off the barrel. The barrel would end up two very different tempetures V hot under the mod but cold to touch on parts you could see. The mod would also started to unscrew its self as for cleaning while firing!!

I never managed to zero the rifle as the hot barrel zero was different to the cold barrel group, the first 3 rounds would be touching and after that anywhere in a 3-4" hole.

I am changing to an ASE end of barrel mod after getting a perfect zero with no mod fitted.

A "HOT" barrel will always have a different zero to a cold one ! as the barrel heats or cools this will change slightly and why would you want to take a mod off a hot barrel ?