Broomhills in Markyate

joyoge

I was thinking of taking some lessons rather than just keep paying the £30 to shoot clays without really learning anything and wondered if anyone knows of Broomhills in Markyate, Herts? they do a course of three 1 to 1 lessons for £150 plus clays and cartridges and wondered if this was a reasonable price? I also assume it would be a good idea to join a club?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks for that Cat. I had heard of them and seen the sign but heard a couple of people having a moan about them when I went to the Rectory Shooting ground last week. Will give them a call though and try it out....much closer and you are right...I hear shooting where I live all the time! :hmm:

You need to keep an open mind on whether a ground is good or bad until you've been there.

I shoot a lot of competitions but hardly ever shoot at A1 because the competition layouts are not that good.

Having said that, I do know that they do have a couple of guys that can offer good coaching in the basics, and that's what you're after at this stage in your shooting career..??

Cat.

i went along on one of this teaching days 60 clays hit 56 ? the chuter asked me if i would like to come back for a proper lesson .to be honest it was hit the clay or the clay would hit you if it got any closer ? boreing next time i am going to bisley this chap said his classes were for stag hen do's but why advertise tuition when his job was to send everyone away thinking the were the dog's gonads £100 wasted.

Im going on a first shots day at Broomhills at the end of the month and for a beginner Im sure it will be good and at only £85 for the day its bloody good value. However I think the 1 to 1s are exspenive at £60 an hour PLUS cartridges and clays. Could turn out to be a £100 lesson. Im sure that they cater for all your needs and help with specific problems that need ironing out but it seems a bit on the steep side to me.(that may be because Ive just started out) You can Pay £95 to be a member and get your clays 8p cheaper and free gun storage, free clays per month. Which I will be thinking about.The ground is big and covers a lot of different shooting. The web site needs up dating but it may be worth a trip down there and have a chat with especially in the current climate you may get a special offer.

Edited by gundawg66

I have only shot there once but I thought it was a good ground with a bit of variation from the normal birds you see at most grounds. I particularly liked the one where you are stood up high in a shed and the birds are thrown from below.

Something you don't see very often.

I suppose it is like most clay grounds in that they don't change the stands vert often.

Another thumbs up for Broomhills from me. :lol:

I know some shooters don't like the claymate system they use there, but it was one of the reasons I first started going. Basically you can turn up whenever suits and shoot a round in your own time avoiding targets you find easy and concentrating on the ones where you need a bit of practice (or the other way round if you fancy massaging your own ego). :good:

I usually go during the week and it never seems overly busy - you can always get on a stand without waiting around.

Also the staff are always friendly and helpful and never argue the toss if you have a problem with a trap firing broken or no birds.

• 3 weeks later...

Isnt it under new ownership now? Seem to remember seeing that somewhere a while back. Ive only been twice for one of those 'give it a try' jobs they do on a weekend, £15 for 25 clays and cartridges with an instructor and gun. I was about 14 at the time (~10 years ish ago) and having normally used airrifles at home it was a great introduction. Have to say the 'coach' was great. He basically just said shoot the targets like its an air rifle, which on the easy targets and just to break a few clays was just the intro i needed to wet my appetite. Had a great time!

Top place. Love it. Totally friendly, very helpful and knowledegable staff. Excellent coaching and staff that are willing to take the time to chat to you about the sport and tools of the trade etc. Would really recommend a visit.

If you do go - further the cause by suggesting they invest in a rimfire etc rifle range - the more that ask the more likely it is to happen.

ps any staff from Broomhills looking at this my membership is up at the end of the month and I expect a discount....