SECOND HAND RIFLE

6shot

Total rubbish. Buying one blind is of course moronic, but for the average Shot, there's no reason why a s/h rifle won't suffice. It depends on who you're buying it from, what use it's had, what calibre it is and the condition of the bore. If it's a .220 Swift built in 1983, with a completely fire-cracked bore, then it might not be a sensible purchase. It just needs the judgement of somebody who can give you a reliable opinion. Not just a generalisation.

Edited by Baldrick

Total rubbish. Buying one blind is of course moronic, but for the average Shot, there's no reason why a s/h rifle won't suffice. It depends on who you're buying it from, what use it's had, what calibre it is and the condition of the bore. If it's a .220 Swift built in 1983, with a completely fire-cracked bore, then it might not be a sensible purchase. It just needs the judgement of somebody who can give you a reliable opinion. Not just a generalisation.

Iam with him . Harnser .

On the other hand.....if you had a rifle that shot where you pointed it,why would you sell it ?

In my case, to change calibres, to make a significant upgrade or to ditch a heavy rifle for a lightweight one. All honest reasons. I'd imagine in this recession that there'll be a buoyant market in second-hand rifles.

In my case, to change calibres, to make a significant upgrade or to ditch a heavy rifle for a lightweight one. All honest reasons. I'd imagine in this recession that there'll be a buoyant market in second-hand rifles.

All honest reasons to sell a gun Baldrick,but there is still people who move them on because the barrel is shot,wont hold zero,etc etc.Anything you buy second hand is taking a chance and guns are no different.

THE REASON I ASKED THE QUESTION IS. I HAVE APPLIED FOR A FAC, THE POLICE MANS BEEN OUT,IT LOOKS GOOD HES SAID AS I HAVE HAD A SGC FOR 5 OR SO YEARS.

I HAVE PUT DOWN FOR A .22 AND .17. I CARNT MAKE MY MIND UP.SO I AM GOING TO THE GUN SHOP TO HAVE A LOOK AT BOTH, BUT THE PLAN IS TO BUY 1 NEW SET UP GUN SCOPE MOD ETC AND THEN IN TIME BUY THE OTHER GUN SECOND HAND. WHEN TALKING TO MATES ABOUT THIS PLAN THEY SAID DONT BUY SECONDHAND. BUT THEY COULD NOT REALLY GIVE ME A REASON. NEVER HAD A PROB WITH SECOND HAND SHOT GUNS I BOUGHT. JUST WONDERD IF I WAS MISSING ANYTHING BUT FROM YOUR COMMENTS I WOULD SAY NOT.

I have just bought a second hand 17hmr, I know the guy I am buying from,seen the gun shot and indeed shot it,

I know the improvements he has made to the gun and that it has been cared for.

A bad gun shop may try to sell a dodgy rifle but their trade would suffer in the long run as the shooting community tend to advise each other and a dodgy dealer soon runs out of customers.

So if you know and trust your local shop go ahead, if not just ask on here and someone will point you in the direction of a good shop.