Heating Advice

JDFrain

Been noticing a couple of posts all about problems with peoples boilers, dont want to be a humbug on this but just to make people aware.

when you have a problem with your boiler please be aware that it is law that you MUST be Corgi registered to work on the appliance, eg even taking the casing of the boiler is an offence as quite often this can be breaking a gas tight seal.

Please be careful if you are not 100% on what you are doing, get it done by the correct person. its not worth the risk and i am sure that any insurances and warrenties would become void.

and dont forget to turn the power off and take the 3amp fuse out .

john

Edited by JDFrain

Combi boilers have a specific flow rate of hot water. i.e 12 litres per minute at a 35 degree rise. When most people run the bath tap they whack it full on, consequently if you've got 18 litres per minute through your bath tap the boiler won't get a chance to heat it up. This time of year when the water coming into your house will be approx 4-7 degrees it will make it worse. Try throttling the tap back a bit when filling the bath.

You might also have problems with your boiler but try that first.

Dont have centrel heating if it gets too cold just put a thick jumper on :hmm::hmm:

stag :oops:

same here,

no heating at all. had it taken out, toooo expensive.

if i need to get warm i either go to work or down the pub :oops::oops:

or there is always the barrells of the 12bore. :lol:

Been noticing a couple of posts all about problems with peoples boilers, dont want to be a humbug on this but just to make people aware.

when you have a problem with your boiler please be aware that it is law that you MUST be Corgi registered to work on the appliance, eg even taking the casing of the boiler is an offence as quite often this can be breaking a gas tight seal.

Please be careful if you are not 100% on what you are doing, get it done by the correct person. its not worth the risk and i am sure that any insurances and warrenties would become void.

and dont forget to turn the power off and take the 3amp fuse out .

john

SIR YES SIR THREE BAG FULLS SIR

My understanding is that you only need to be CORGI if you are receiving payment. If you are DIY or for a mate for no fee then all you need to be is competent. We can then argue about what competent means.

I took the cover off my boiler and "tinkered". I didn't die, I didn't get put in prison but I didn't fix my boiler either. :lol:

My understanding is that you only need to be CORGI if you are receiving payment. If you are DIY or for a mate for no fee then all you need to be is competent. We can then argue about what competent means.

I took the cover off my boiler and "tinkered". I didn't die, I didn't get put in prison but I didn't fix my boiler either. :hmm:

thats right chaps...its got more to do with taking money off people and convincing them your an expert when your just a blagger than anything else... if its your boiler, knock your self out, you dont have to be registered with corgi....

believe me ,there's more rules and regs that govern us gas fitters then anyone else who touches a boiler...

might i add at this point, non of the advice ive given on here relates to any gas, flueing or ventilation work, merely the plumbing or "wet" side of things.... i would not advise anyone on removing any sealing cases, flue materials or gas tight joints etc.....

come on jdfrain, i aint soft mate..... :lol:

just trying to help a few buds out here.....

Combi boilers have a specific flow rate of hot water. i.e 12 litres per minute at a 35 degree rise. When most people run the bath tap they whack it full on, consequently if you've got 18 litres per minute through your bath tap the boiler won't get a chance to heat it up. This time of year when the water coming into your house will be approx 4-7 degrees it will make it worse. Try throttling the tap back a bit when filling the bath.

You might also have problems with your boiler but try that first.

ive tried turning tap down in bath and by time the baths half full its still no better ie takes about 20mins to put about 6 inches of water in bath

myzeneye

i know you aint soft....

completely agree with what your saying helping out a few buds etc, do it myself all the time, the point of the post was not relating to the advice being given, its just advising people to be carefull, fix one thing fix another. next thing bang.

john

ive tried turning tap down in bath and by time the baths half full its still no better ie takes about 20mins to put about 6 inches of water in bath

Then call out an engineer as we need the money this time of year :sick:;)

Before you do that, check that the control valve on the gas meter hasn't been accidentally knocked and become half closed. Seen that quite a few times, will affect the gas rate at the appliance (more on the hot water). As this thread suggests, leave it to the professionals.

your not wrong there magman, makes me wonder sometimes how people get there registration.

myzeneye,

tell you what bud some of the women that i have seen in there nighties, i would rarther be stuck up a ripped out back boiler......

:sick:

i know mate, truly, there are some hideous old hags out there.... one recent situation i found my self in made me run to the hills like a young gazelle !

disgusting old hag answers the door in her nighty, leads me upstairs to the boiler in the bathroom giving me full veiw of what can only be described as a kebab a drunk has thrown into the gutter.... a little shaken, i put my tools down in the bathroom and went back to the van for parts...she said she's just nip in the bathroom to get dressed whilst i went to the van to get the bits and have a fag to calm me nerves........

when i returned she was swanning around in what must have been her daughters clubbing clothes being a little flirty and all...... i thought, right, fix boiler, grab tools and leave in a profesional mannor....

i got back in the bathroom and there, hanging off a screw driver in my tool bag was her freshly shed, morning after the night before, knickers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

aaarggghhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!! run away run away !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

how come there never the tasty ones ;)

Edited by myzeneye

??????:good: i was once asked to put a wooden panel celing in a house, and a new bathroom door,ect...

when i was in the loft, taking the lighting cable out i remembered i had taken the bathroom door off. the "lady" of the house who wasnt exactlly ugly, shouted something to me, and not hearing properly, i stuck my head out of the loft hatch......"What was that?"...... only to be greated by her sat on the loo with her pants round her ankles. :rolleyes::D

What was it she shouted? .................." dont come out of the loft, as im just using the loo" :angry:??????:oops::sly:

you might joke mc mate, but a positive pressure room sealed boiler with a faulty or incorrectly seated case seal will kill you dead in rag time mate.... flueing and ventillation isnt rocket science but it doesnt take much to have a fatality.... thats why the regs are in place, each one is usually written AFTER some poor sod has died,so's to prevent it happening again....

gas or oil, products of combustion are lethal..... what type of appliance you have makes a world of difference to your level of safety, open flued appliances with blocked heat ex or flue fault or even inadequate ventillation will make you very poorly, you'd probably wake up dead. a room sealed appliance is much safer providing the case seals are right.....even a missing screw on the wrong type of boiler can be bad news.....

not meaning to rant on or anything but its as serious as gun safety is mate, and given the fact it exposes you kids,wife etc to the risks, its not something you want to take lightly :rolleyes: ...

Edited by myzeneye