Decoying at this time of year

duckdog

Yes its worth having a go you will find it harder this time of year as they are in big gangs but you still can have a good day if you do your home work and put in the time flagging off other fields to keep them on the move . there are plenty round me at the mo and have had a few nice bags ! so give it a try in any case its just nice to be out in the country side !

good luck to everyone shooting on rape this winter enjoy ! :good:

Edited by proTOM1

Yes its worth having a go you will find it harder this time of year as they are in big gangs but you still can have a good day if you do your home work and put in the time flagging off other fields to keep them on the move . there are plenty round me at the mo and have had a few nice bags ! so give it a try in any case its just nice to be out in the country side !

good luck to everyone shooting on rape this winter enjoy ! :hmm:

LOL I'm fed up of nice days in the country :good: , my shooting expeditions normally always turn out like that. I know a flightline I might try the deeks on. :lol: The land I shoot is really heavily shot each day so there is never really anything around.

my land is heavily shot too mate, a few of the other shooters there allways try and tell me its not worth shooting, and i should not bother going out. most of the time they just don't want antbody else shooting there. i had a good day on the weekend, but there was another shooter out so we kepth the birds moving all day. i think as long as they don't find a place to settle down all day you could get a decent bag.

Just to echo what's been said - plenty of birds about but in huge flocks. I was out for a few hours yesterday but not decoying at all over barley stubble (no rape on our shoot). Still managed the best shot of my life, way out past the deeks but that was it !

Better than festering about the house, but can be pretty frustrating when you can see the birds moving about.

EEErrrmm I think I have missed the point here. Apologies.

I don't actually do a lot of decoying at this time of year. I do probably more, sitting in the woods waiting for them to come back for a sit between feeds.

Having said that , I just weigh it up on the day. Sometimes I'll decoy first thing in the morning, then move into the woods just before lunch.

The funny thing is, it's the time of year when you'll see them in flocks of up to 6000 (reported from another PW post) but funnily enough, they're hardest to tempt down.

You really have to get your pattern perfect to have a chance and (it will cause some people to disagree) it is imperative you have a magnet on the whirl, or they'll not be interested.

I had a shocker of a day today, with virtually no shooting. I bumped into a bloke from 'Active Crop Protection' (anyone a member or know of this outfit?), who didn't seem to be having much luck either. I'd had three bumper days previously this week.

There was a mammoth flock (although nowhere near the fabled 6000 birds) about when taking a bite of my sarnie/peeling a satsuma/eating some crisps did the birds seems to lock on to my decoys.

I went out today as well, there was a massive flight of birds out from the roosting woods, (probably 3000 - 4000 birds), most flew on but then trickled back throughout the morning.

The wind was in the wrong direction for my hide and they were coming in behind and over my head, which made for some interesting shots, and I also didn't have Will or garyb stirring them up on the other fields nearby, so I only picked up 32 when I packed up at 1pm. :welcomeani::D

I had a call on the mobile from the farmer at about 11.00 who said that there were literally thousands on his other fields of rape about a mile down the road, sometimes I think I should become an amoeba so I can sub-divide and be in two places at one time. :lol:

Cat.

so I only picked up 32 when I packed up at 1pm. :welcomeani::D

I had a call on the mobile from the farmer at about 11.00 who said that there were literally thousands on his other fields of rape about a mile down the road, sometimes I think I should become an amoeba so I can sub-divide and be in two places at one time. :lol:

Cat.

1pm??? round here they've only just started their afternoon feed. Too early to pack up.

Need a 'beam me up Scottie' device to cover all the ground. The worse time of year IMO unless you're mob handed and can cover all the bases. Morning starts with a great flightline which peters out about 10.30 and if you move Woody does too. :hmm:

1pm??? round here they've only just started their afternoon feed. Too early to pack up.

Need a 'beam me up Scottie' device to cover all the ground. The worse time of year IMO unless you're mob handed and can cover all the bases. Morning starts with a great flightline which peters out about 10.30 and if you move Woody does too. :welcomeani:

I had to pack up at 1.00, due to business committments this afternoon.

I normally try and get all other fields covered, today I knew I couldn't, hence the very modest bag.

Cat.

Cat, I'm out on Sunday with Gary, if you need a couple of people to keep the birds up and also keep them alive for you :welcomeani: haha.

If you do go out on Sunday, could I buy a banger rope off you, so I can get it on the field we discussed last time?

Edited by harfordwmj

Cat, I'm out on Sunday with Gary, if you need a couple of people to keep the birds up and also keep them alive for you :welcomeani: haha.

If you do go out on Sunday, could I buy a banger rope off you, so I can get it on the field we discussed last time?

I'm shooting clays on Sunday at Northampton but I can drop a banger rope off for you and also put one out on my patch to drive 'em over your way.

Ring me on Saturday.

Cat.

Is it still worth decoying at this time of year/ There never seems to be much about.

After todays trip i would probably say no find something better to do, got up at 6am got to the field about 7am where 1500-2500 birds have been all week with the new all terrain pigeon decoy carrier (wheel barrow) fully loaded and set of 3/4 of a mile across a soggy rape field when i finally got to my chosen position sweating and swearing, just enough time for a smoke before setting up only to find that i left the ciggy papers in the car, 1&1/2 miles soggy later a quick smoke and set all the deeks out magnet and bouncers set, tub of ice water at the ready to quench the barrels, only for the wind to drop and start raining, i sat it out til 2pm for 12 pigeons and then dragged all the stuff back only to find a flat tyre, what a pants day out.

mikee