Driven hunt germany 2008

Holland&Holland

Last week i had my second driven hunt for wildboar, red deer, roe deer and fox in Hessen Germany.

I was positioned at a steep hill halfway from the top. Unfortunately i only could see about 40 meters because of all the shrubs and bushes blocking my view.

In the first 45 minutes i got a chance with three individual foxes. The first stood still behind a small bush, i could see it's tail and figured out where the body must be. Shot but no hit :lol: . The second one came flying past and i missed. The third one came in from my right and was planning to walk over my shoes if i had not moved. When he was at 2 meters i turned and aimed my rifle. Shot it when he was about 10 meters away.

My neighbouring guns alle shot one or two wild boar or roe deer, i never saw one but that is hunting. Beasts where there but either got shot by the other hunters or just did not cross my path.

Mate of mine shot 2 keilers that day :yes: and an "uberlaufer" (between 1 and 2 year old pig).

After my big keiler last time he did even better, two keiler although the trophy is bit smaller !! :yes:

Lucky for him he owns a rangerover and he drove off with the 3 wild boar and a red deer stag his mate shot, in the back of the car. Full load :lol:

The stag was a big no no as it was too young to be shot. Only 10 pointers till 4 years or red deer over 11 years where free to shoot. This stag was a 12 pointer, 8 year old. Trophy cost including the fine is 6000 euro (about 5000 pounds at the moment i think). In my opinion a very stupid thing to shoot that particular stag, you can tell it is a wrong one.

In the end: 18 wild boar, 8 roe deer, 1 red deer stag, 7 foxes and 2 raccons.

Pictures included.

post-3027-1229348692.jpg

post-3027-1229348705.jpg

post-3027-1229348738.jpg

post-3027-1229348886.jpg

Edited by Holland&Holland

Roe deer are only allowed to be shot standing still. Red deer, fallow deer and wild boar can be shot whilst running. That is because the last named animals "trott" or run at a steady pace. Roe deer also jump when they are running, that makes shooting them difficult and you want to shoot as accurate you can get. A shout or whistle makes them stop most of the time and you can shoot them then.

Include picture of the expensive stag :yes: (by the way, the guy in question got told off be us and the german organisors for shooting a clear "no go" red stag. He might not even get the head, only took the meat home.....

post-3027-1229349345.jpg

Just to help along, the picture with the horns is the hunters who can play horn playing the death call for each of the species on the strecher, or bag, and then a call for huntings over lets all go and eat!!Its great fun , especially as all the hunting dogs sing along!!

Raccoons are becoming a major problem here and are here for the same reason that mink are in the UK, tree hugging loonatics who thought they were doing right by letting the little vandals out.

@ salop sniper;

Weapon of choice is always a rifle for me, caliber over .243 (i have a 308). Shotgun with slugs only gives you about 30 meters accuracy. Above that slugs are not that accurate any more and you are more likely to wound the animal. I have never seen them at driven hunts in germany. I know they use them in Turkey and Baltic countries but i think mostly because they do not own a rifle. :yes:

With the horns; that is a ritual after the hunt. All the shot animals are laid out on pine branches to pay the last respect to the animal. All the hunters gather round, campfires are lit and the leader of the group gives a speech to reflect on the day. Then each species has its own tune and it gets played one by one. If you shot something youre name is called and you get a special thank you and a pine twig presented by the organiser to put on youre hat.

It is a nice way to pay last respect and reflect on the event itself.

With the horns; that is a ritual after the hunt. All the shot animals are laid out on pine branches to pay the last respect to the animal. All the hunters gather round, campfires are lit and the leader of the group gives a speech to reflect on the day. Then each species has its own tune and it gets played one by one. If you shot something youre name is called and you get a special thank you and a pine twig presented by the organiser to put on youre hat.

It is a nice way to pay last respect and reflect on the event itself.

A nice tradition too, thanks again for the write up H&H :oops:

Lot of traditions in (Northern) Europe where 'hunting' is concerned that includes a big respect for the animals. Lots of ceremony and spectacle that you don't often see in the UK.

There's also more of a tradition in (Northern) Europe for rifling 'running' animals. You only have to look at the list of winners of the Running Deer/Boar trophies at Bisley (Sporting Rifle) to see who has won over the years and it includes very few (maybe none as my memory is fading :oops: ) British winners, they're all (Northern) Europeans!

I though it was pretty hard to hunt im germany due to rules and regulations ;)

I just got my diana hunting tours brochure in the post this morning so there might be few pics from me in the coming months :oops:

you wouldn't think so if you visited, when I was in Munich on the train from the airport I must have seen 50 high seats they were everywhere.

Nice write up and just a shame about those foxes!