terrine

davie mac

line a loaf tin with streaky bacon making sure the bacon extends over the sides of the tin by about 3 inches each side (stretch the bacon first if its on the short side)

Make sure you lay strips of bacon over each end too

make a sausage meat mix with, you guessed it, sausage meat. I add the livers of the birds I'm using finely chopped and some sweated onion again finely chopped. Coriander is nice too and some garlic.

place a thin layer of sausage meat on the bottom of the tin (tip..wet your hands first before handling the sausage meat as it sticks like sausage meat!)

place a layer of the first meat, eg. partridge breast, thats first been pan fried to seal and then sliced into approx 1cm thick slices. make sure the meat fully covers the sausage layer below ( for yours i would go, duck, pheasant then pigeon to contrast the colours)

add another layer of sausage meat

I now add a layer of dried apricots but you can give this a miss if your not fussed on apricots or use a farmhouse pickle in its place.

add another layer of bird breast, say pigeon or duck, something dark to contrast the partridge layer, again approx 1cm thick

now another layer of sausage meat

add another layer of bird breast, perhaps pheasant

now another layer of sausage meat

the 'loaf' should now protrude the top of the tin by about 2cm

fold the streaky bacon over the top of the 'loaf' and if necessary place more streaky bacon over the top. make the whole thing quite tightly enclosed

seal with tin foil over the top of the loaf

place the tin in an inch of water in a baking tin and cover that with foil too

cook in the oven, gas mark 4 for 4hrs

now the important bit

remove the terrine and, while still in the baking tray, place something flat and heavy on the top of the terrine. I use a floor tile and a couple of bricks!

allow to cool completely before removing the weight

tip out of the loaf tin

slice

enjoy

Edited by sandgrounder

After reading this I decided I had better make one. So a couple of questions.

Instead of straight sausage meat I have some lovely ground carriboo as a substitute whats are thoughts on this?

and

How does pheasant breast, rabbit, venison sound as the cut meats?

All done with home raised bacon of course :rolleyes:

NTTF

After reading this I decided I had better make one. So a couple of questions.

Instead of straight sausage meat I have some lovely ground carriboo as a substitute whats are thoughts on this?

Sounds good as long as it has plenty fat in it.

and

How does pheasant breast, rabbit, venison sound as the cut meats?

Sounds good to me !!

All done with home raised bacon of course :good:

:hmm:

NTTF

I thought i'd give this a crack as it looks utterly delicious. Quite pleased with the results, with a very nice flavour.I made something similar last year but it was a bit crumbly, so I decided to really crush things down when it was cooling.

I used 4 pheasant breasts, 2 partridge breasts, 2 mallard breasts and 6 pigeon breasts.

Thanks for the recipe.

Ngame3.jpg

Ngame1.jpg

Ngame2.jpg

Edited by Whitebridges

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys for this thread. Made a terrine for New Years party at my house. It went down a bomb. Followed the HFW link above and it worked out perfect. Used pigeon, woodcock, partridge, pheasant and a wee bit of venison which I had 'borrowed' from the da-in-law. Wont be the last one of these I make.

Cheers :lol:

whitebridges that looks delicious as did the one henry d posted, will try this myself

mikee

Give it a go Mikee, perhaps you'll let us know how it goes? I'm not that skilled in the kitchen but mine turned out just fine. I'd highly recommended recipe. I'm having another go soon. I managed to get pheasie, sally, quackers and pigeon so the meat is there.

A couple of things you might find useful. I stretched the bacon with a knife and rolled it out with a pin to make it thinner and go further. Put plenty of weight of the top when it's cooling, this helps things stick together. Good luck with it!

Edited by Whitebridges