fac sos

jimdfish

Apply for what you have 'good reason' to own, if it is just a shopping list they will put you down as a tyre kicker.

You will now get replies saying it is your right and go for at least 5 rifles etc etc :oops:

.22 buy 500, keep 600 is sensible, some people go for buy 1,000, hold 1,200

Don't foget to apply for a moderator as well that is seperate entry

referees can be anyone that has known you for the required period of time they don't need to have a particular standing.

I'm with Stuart only apply for what you need,

p.s the .223 is a fox round the hmr is more a vermin / rabbit gun

Edited by al4x

As above

Whether you get what you ask for is solely dependant on whether you have a good reason for each calibre you ask for and in general terms there are only 2 'good reasons' - target shooting (at a club/range) and pest control (in the field). If your not a member of a target club it makes it harder asking for several calibres as the land you have permission for has to suitable for what you're asking for. So if you're not a club member and the land you have is only ok for .22lr you aren't going to get .223 Rem. Likewise if it has only been ok'ed for .223 Rem you wouldn't get .308 etc etc.

If however you are a member of a club i'd think long and hard about what you initially ask for, remember an FAC is for FIVE years, you could start off with .22 in an indoor club and in that time be wanting to use .50 cal at Bisley! When i applied for my grant i asked for more than i thought i was going to use at the time and just 3 years later i've had 5 variations asking for more rifles alone!! Of course if paying £26/a few weeks of your time everytime you get into a new type of shooting isn't going to overly streess you then its academic anyway!

If i were you i'd be asking for 500 to buy, 600 to possess in each calibre you ask for to start. Unless you're hitting the range more than 2 times a week its unlikely you're going to turn over those kinds of amounts quickly.

As for the referees, just like al4x said they don't have to be of particular standing, they just have to have known you for a certain amount of time. Its an SGC where the person who countersigns your app has to a civil servant or whatever.

As for the .223 compared to the .17hmr cost-wise it depends what kind of ammo you're buying. Presumably as you've mentioned foxes you'll be after expanding (hollow-point) ammo so generally the .223 would be more expensive. But if you were after FMJ you could get the .223 cheaper (army surplus stuff)

Good luck with your application! :oops:

Mark

Go for .22lr and .223. That gives you near silent shooting and enough gun for Fox cheaply. If you ever plan to shoot Deer, substitute the .223 for a .243 :good:

EDIT...Ammo wise for field shooting, .22lr buy 500 hold 600, centrefire buy 200 hold 250 :hmm:

Edited by njc110381