Black backdrop to hide silhouette

Cosd

I use a 2 ply stealth net bought from the site sponsors. I love the net and it works well, but now whilst foliage can be a little thin I often don't have a solid backdrop and my silhouette is visible. Since I purchased this net for it's weight and compactness when transporting I don't want to add much more bulk to my kit.

I was thinking of getting some thin black material to use as a backdrop, has anyone tried this or recomend anything else?

I wouldn`t do it, just remember that woodpigeon will not be scared of you unless you move and you shouldn`t be doing that until they are within range of your shot. If birds are wary of your hide it is most likely to be that it is wrongly sited or you are moving too much.

Another thing to remember is to avoid having low sun behind your hide as this increases the chance of spooking due to long shadows.

I wouldn`t do it, just remember that woodpigeon will not be scared of you unless you move and you shouldn`t be doing that until they are within range of your shot. If birds are wary of your hide it is most likely to be that it is wrongly sited or you are moving too much.

Another thing to remember is to avoid having low sun behind your hide as this increases the chance of spooking due to long shadows.

Sorry if I wasn't clear, the birds are not spooked by my hide, this is just on the back of me seeing through the hide. I know about not moving until ready to shoot, I just thought this would make the hide better with no silhouette at all.

Cosd .

Most of the time when out decoying i use a large camo fishing brolly . I place a net in front of the brolly and another net over the top supported by hide poles . This can then be garnished with whatever foilage is available .

The front net i set 3 or 4 feet in front of the brolly so that i can stand up and shoot around the sides of the hide or over the top . This type of set up restricts you field of fire slightly but is worth it because it keeps the wind and the rain off you and you will be more comfortable .

Decoys and magnet are set out in front of the hide . Most birds that come to the coys and magnet can be shot from the sitting postion inside the hide . This system i have used on many ,many occasions in the middle of a field with great success . Hope this helps .

Harnser .

Sorry if I wasn't clear, the birds are not spooked by my hide, this is just on the back of me seeing through the hide. I know about not moving until ready to shoot, I just thought this would make the hide better with no silhouette at all.

I agree when I set up against a wire fence I noticed how visible my chair was so surly a solid backdrop in the same material as ur camo suit would be good move or no move it would lose ur person shaped silouitte.

Black will make a "back screen" but you will show up against it should high birds come over, i remember reading an article by john Darling when rifle shooting about black at dusk being one of the best colours to see and similar in low light days, buy one of the lightweight advantage nets or one that im not sure if still sold think it was called curtain mesh in camo, i bought some about 10 years back tough as nails and still strong colour, was in the back of sporting gun , can buy whatever length needed off the roll and light weight. I know there are thoose on here and they are correct in what they about say keeping absolutly still until the shot, but on a freezing day with a numb bum and wanting a pee the fidgets are inevitable and personaly i have never been able to play statues!

Keeping still and all skin parts covered all add an advantage, but we have all had days when you feel you dont even need a hide and the birds still come in, rare but it happens, a brolley a previously mention is one of my favorites to take as a back drop on a cold windy miserable day but do add weight to your kit as any extra bits and bobs do, but when the weather is **** and the wind to your back is freezing its a god send even for the extra weight added.

I know your fairly new to the sport Cos and have mentioned several times about the weight and bulk of the kit, magnet , poles nets etc , but will mention i carry all my kit in 2 lumps, a 90 litre rucksack and a fishing quiver, possibly 60lb + in weight, but a balanced out kit heavy as it maybe is managable , even for an ole **** like me :lol: ok I may need an oxygen bottle when i get back to the landy humping kit and birds but if too many a 2 trip walk is more sensible than a coronary , i use a trolley when ground conditions allow but they arent so good when sticky and rough.

My 10 pence worth, ahh credit crunch sale price 5 p.