The ideal load for exploding pumpkin...

southernlad

I know the TV show is old news now, but one thing has been bugging me - What load was the keeper using when he shot at the pumpkins to show the danger of a shotgun? I haven't ever shot at anything still with shotguns before but surely that wasn't a standard bird load? :lol:

I'm guessing by the fact that he used an over and under that it was a magnum load of BBs or something. Would bird shot really cause that much damage!!?? If so I have an even stronger respect for the business end of a shotgun than I did before!!! :lol:

SL

almost any cart will do some serious damage to a pumpkin.

i have shot one before as a test using 32g 5 and both the car behind me and myself (both being about 15 yrds from pumpkin) where coverd in old horrible pumpkin.

i wasn't expecting quite the impact it had but it was intresting to see.

I have shot a pattern plate from about 10 yards as a demonstartion of power. You feel the wallop as it hits the steel more than the recoil, chunks of whitwash flake off and the ground trembles. I was quite taken aback by that, and it was 'only' a 24gr load of 8's

Before you say anything, lead on steel so no chance of recoil.

I have shot a pattern plate from about 10 yards as a demonstartion of power. You feel the wallop as it hits the steel more than the recoil, chunks of whitwash flake off and the ground trembles. I was quite taken aback by that, and it was 'only' a 24gr load of 8's

Before you say anything, lead on steel so no chance of recoil.

Presumably you mean ricochet?

So you have never heard of lead ricocheting off water or frozen trees?

At 10yds, you're a braver than me mate. Not having a dig, just a tad concerned your post may infer lead cannot ricochet when in impacts a harder material - although safer than others, it still does.

Edited by Ninj