Hawke Night Eye

Vulcha

Vulcha

It depends totally on what you are using you gun for, like if you do alot of lamping or target etc. There are alot of scopes on the market and some will suit your needs better than others.

I myself am anti Deben as i cant help but feel that they charge over inflated prices for what is often mediocre kit, their Hawke brand optics included.

Personally i would look to import from the states or Canada or at least take a look at what AGS or Tasco have to offer before i even considered purchasing a Deben scope.

I simply feel that for £50 there are better alternatives out there

If your set on the Hawke though, £50 appears to be about the going rate

Yea, im not keen on Deben, the company behind the Hawke brand of optics. Ive found that the quality of there kit often doesnt match the high end prices which they demand.

So your after an adjustable mag scope, decent sized objective to eat up the minimal light, illuminated reticle?

Depends on what your willing to spend but for round about the same money then id get one of these

click

If your willing to spend more then id say the Simmons Aetec is the best affordable scope for lamping, usually a few knocking around on ebay or import one from US/CAN as they retail here at £200-£300

Donkey,

Do you see £100 for a good quality scope expensive then? That's what I paid for my rimfire scope, 3-9 x 50. Hawke Nite-eye. It's great for low light rimfire or air rifle shooting.

When I scoped my .308, I looked at importing a Leupold 14 x 50 from the States at half of the cost that they are here in the U.K. I ended up paying £650 here in the U.K, but, then you have to ask yourself:

1. I am going to get hammered for import duty.

2. If anything goes wrong with the scope, it will cost a bomb to get back to the states to be fixed.

Somethings are not always cheaper to import from the states or Canada.

Buy here in the U.K for the peace of mind.

Rob.

I dont see your £100 as money well spent when you consider that a 2.8-10x44 Aetec can be imported for that same £100.

With regards to import duty, ive found it hit an miss. I have never once been stung by import duty to the extent that the cost of importing items matches that of the UK retail price.

With regard to optics- warranty coverage is something you have to look into. Its something i weigh up after considering the saving on the initial purchase price.

Agreed, purchase in the UK for peace of mind but i for one got sick of rip off Britain a while back now.

is it me or did deben/hawke take over tasco?

but as has been said above you really do get what you pay for.

my opinion would be think about what you want from a scope and how much you want to part with.

1. do you need an illuminated reticle?

2. do you nee paralax adjustment?

3. do you need mill-dot?

each of the above options adds cost to manufacturing but all are within a very small price band, so with each option unfortunatly quality is the compromise they have used.

the best hawke scopes are the basic 3-9x40 scopes or if you have a little more money to spend have a look at the AGS range much higher quality (or at least they seem it with the brass turrets)

i use a bushnell trophy 3-9x40 (£130 new) on my TX200MK1 no problem at all

but i have used white tail classic 6.5x50 PA cost was £90 second hand!!!!!

its well worht checking out the sales section on this and other shootign forums

hope this ehlps you out a little

ROB :)

bare in mind they are what you pay for, i.e they are cheap so dont expect too much, they are multiple mag so you loose some low light ability there, if you intend to use it in low light you will need it set at 5,6,7,8x dependant on objective lense size, to get the best light gathering, the mill dot reticle will also not be as effective when lamping, although an illuminated reticle will help solve this problem.

personally i swear by fixed power 8x56's swarovski's with a simple 4A reticle, but i'm lucky in that i have a father willing to spend this kind of money. on glass for the rifles.

at the end of the day you learn through experiance and its only £50, so its not the end of the world if you dont like it

some swear by them some swear at them.....try one and decide what group you feel you fit into

I started doing a lot of lamping this year and i wanted a scope with an illimunated reticle so i bought a new scope off ebay for £70 all in,its a Seben Black Anaconda 4-12x56.It has IR with 11 different brightness settings.Hadn't heard much about them before but i find it a v.descent scope in low light.I use Bushnell 3-9x40's for my daytime hunting cos they are a lot more compact and are an excellent scope.

dont think you could go far wrong with that one :)

the only reason i have never had one is the 30/30 reticle on them is just a little on the big side (the fine cross hairs, the distance between the posts is too big for me) and that is the only one reason i have never had one!

for the money you just cant go wrong, and as i said im sure the deben group took over tasco, so the hawke range are tasco scopes.

and even if you dont like it once you tried it you would probably only loose about £10 if you come to resell just dont throw the box and instructions out!!!

let us know how you get on with it :lol:

ROB ???

I purchased a AGS 3-9 X 40 scope with Mildot reticle i payed around £45 for it if i remember rightly and i love it. The optics are clearer than the Tasco 3-9 X 40s i have on the Sheridan. I have just scored for a 6-18 x 50 Paralax ajustable Scopes with target turrets from eBay. They look identicle to the Tasco range. The guy is from london. I will have to wait and see what they are like but other buyers seem pleased with them. What can you expect for £38 :):lol: If it's for Dawn or dusk time hunting i would go for a 44 up over for better transition of light.

Zeb

Roblade from what i remember tasco & hawk are the same company just that hawke is the budget name for tasco. The last scope i brought was a 3-12*44 ir scope it cost me 60 notes weird thing was their was no make on the scope so i asume it was a foreign make of some kind it was good as long as I wasnt using a red filter on any lamps otherwise i had problems seeing the cross hair. i dont know if the same problem will occure with the hawke night eye.

Edited by gamebag

• 2 weeks later...

vulcha

i have a 4-16 X 50 hakw eye with IL it has 11 different brightnes settings lets lots of light in when lamping and cost me £110.00 new from my dealer

i have it set up on my sako 22 rimmy and i find it great my mate has a much more expensive scope on his but i dont think its any better personally

i dont think you need to spend a fortune mate and do not import one from the states as allready said if it goes wrong its all hassle

i have just imported a doghouse from the states and was well p****d off when i had to give the postman £60.00 in import duty ( you learn by your mistakes) the only bennifit was i could not get the model i wanted in the uk but there you go

hope this helps :rolleyes:

shawn

hi i want a illumenated mill dot for my air arms s200 and i was woundering if i could put a nite eye on it or not

dot,

As long as you get the correct mounts you can put any scope you wish to on your rifle. I have heard nothing but good things about the night eye especially for the money. Personally before getting one I would have a look on ebay etc for a second hand Leupold as you will get a far supperiour scope for just a little more money.

C

Good trick if you want to evade import Duty is to ask the seller to wrap in Gift wrapping and on the declaration of export to select the GIFT box and tick it. If it is a gift you don't get charged import duty i myself have NEVER yet had to pay them.

Zeb

Edited by zebedee71